Bleepman, free retro lo-fi synthesizer for Kontakt 4 - released

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Bang, I consider it finished. Hope it was worth the trouble.

Hooray! Congrats on the release.
"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence." - Robert Fripp

My music on SoundClound

Frets!

It is great! Thanks! Is there a way to follow updates easily except this forum?

Any major update I would post on the blog: http://waveforms.fairlyconfusing.net/

I'm not planning to update this though, unless I find some major malfunction that slipped my attention. It wasn't good idea with public testing after all, it was fruitful with the drum machine, but this time it only contributed to unnecessary confusion and probably used up its attention span, before the device was actually finished.

I'm having a blast with Bleepman - couple of questions: When running multiple instances within Kontakt, the sequencers aren't in sync with each other - they seem to be free-running. Is that fix-able? Similarly, while sync to host works OK, the sequencer isn't sync'd to the host transport, so I have to record the tracks as audio then shift them manually to get the timing right. Lastly, when sync is activated, the rate knob doesn't snap - should it? All in all, thanks for an awesome freebie, and I certainly don't mean to sound greedy or ungrateful, just a few things I've noticed in using it.

Cheers!

My music on SoundClound

Thanks for writing, I'll try to fix what I can...
nofrets wrote:When running multiple instances within Kontakt, the sequencers aren't in sync with each other - they seem to be free-running. Is that fix-able? Similarly, while sync to host works OK, the sequencer isn't sync'd to the host transport, so I have to record the tracks as audio then shift them manually to get the timing right.
I haven't really considered implications of having multiple instances. When DAW sends start message, that is when play/rec button is pressed, sequencer re-calculates position according song_position parameter. So pressing play in DAW should sync sequencers. I've just checked it in Sonar and it seems to work - looks like it does sync to host transport, to me. Could you describe the problem further?
Outside of a DAW, there is now, indeed, no way to sync multiple sequencers. As in Kontakt there is no way to restart transport, so to say, sequencer starts when instruments is loaded. Would it be helpful, to make sequencer restart on a CC message or a note maybe? Then sequencers could be synced manually. It's something I could do quite quickly.

This instrument is a kind of experiment and the timing of the sequencer is, in general, not 'very' accurate. It's probably not supposed to be done the way it's done. Normally you would have a beat callback to control sequencer and lfo modulators to modulate stuff, here there's ms timed callback and parameters are being changed step by step. In Kontakt, ms timed callback in Kontakt seems to be a little late every now and then. While in sync mode there's a workaround, which checks on beat callback, when sync switch is off, multiple sequencers will de-synchronize gradually.
nofrets wrote:Lastly, when sync is activated, the rate knob doesn't snap - should it?
I doesn't. It would feel better, if it would snap. I'll try to fix this, it would need to change knob animation between modes.

Zombie Queen wrote:Thanks for writing, I'll try to fix what I can...
nofrets wrote:When running multiple instances within Kontakt, the sequencers aren't in sync with each other - they seem to be free-running. Is that fix-able? Similarly, while sync to host works OK, the sequencer isn't sync'd to the host transport, so I have to record the tracks as audio then shift them manually to get the timing right.
I haven't really considered implications of having multiple instances. When DAW sends start message, that is when play/rec button is pressed, sequencer re-calculates position according song_position parameter. So pressing play in DAW should sync sequencers. I've just checked it in Sonar and it seems to work - looks like it does sync to host transport, to me. Could you describe the problem further?
Ah-ha! Indeed it does - I didn't try a sequenced part, just playing by hand along with the click. Seems the problem is my timing, not yours! :hihi:
Zombie Queen wrote: Outside of a DAW, there is now, indeed, no way to sync multiple sequencers. As in Kontakt there is no way to restart transport, so to say, sequencer starts when instruments is loaded. Would it be helpful, to make sequencer restart on a CC message or a note maybe? Then sequencers could be synced manually. It's something I could do quite quickly.
No need to go to that trouble - now that I've found the trick to syncing within the DAW, problem solved.
Zombie Queen wrote: This instrument is a kind of experiment and the timing of the sequencer is, in general, not 'very' accurate. It's probably not supposed to be done the way it's done. Normally you would have a beat callback to control sequencer and lfo modulators to modulate stuff, here there's ms timed callback and parameters are being changed step by step. In Kontakt, ms timed callback in Kontakt seems to be a little late every now and then. While in sync mode there's a workaround, which checks on beat callback, when sync switch is off, multiple sequencers will de-synchronize gradually.
That's actually part of the charm - I love the fact that multiple closely-timed instances will drift in and out of sync over time!
nofrets wrote:Lastly, when sync is activated, the rate knob doesn't snap - should it?
Zombie Queen wrote:I doesn't. It would feel better, if it would snap. I'll try to fix this, it would need to change knob animation between modes.
Not a big deal at all - the manual references snapping to beat divisions so I wondered if there was an issue with my version of Kontakt or something. Once again, thanks for this, and thanks for considering my questions!

My music on SoundClound

I was trying out a a workaround in the meanwhile, using lowest octave keys (0-11), as trigger to restart sequencer counter. Which can be used to synchronize many sequencers in standalone mode, or just restart sequencers at any time: http://www.fairlyconfusing.net/docs/bleeprom.rar

This is updated resource file, replace the old one to apply changes. Just make sure you've got the same rate/precision settings, out of sync mode it would be impossible to synchronize with different precision settings... Stacking the same patches and introducing little changes can make some cool effects, as I found out testing this... Was fun for me too.
the manual references snapping to beat divisions
Yes, it probably sounds misleading, it just internally rounds knob value down to what roughly matches timing of note fraction.

Hi, I downloaded the zip file and tried to play the wav file, but they are all 0kb, so nothing plays, they're blank. Any idea why this happened? Thanks.

I checked the archive, the wavs are OK, 1-2 kb, these are single cycle waveforms, you need to loop it.

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”