UVI.net releases Vintage Vault and...

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Vintage Vault

Numanoid wrote:
thenumber23 wrote:I wonder if there's an upgrade path to 'fill out' whatever instruments I'm missing to effectively get Vintage Vault. I'm missing 2...
Wow, that's a lot :o Did you name yourself after how many you own :D

So far I got Synth Anthology, Mello, Digital Synsations, and because of that I got a rebate of 20% when I log into my UVI account to check the price. 400 dollars is still some money, and I don't have the harddrive space, but it sure is tempting :)
I have a lot of excellent UVI stuff and am entitled to a hefty discount off Vintage Vault. Problem is I only want a few of the remaining instruments so I'll pass on the generous discount and just buy the ones I want when they are next on offer. Love UVI though. Great vintage instruments in particular.

How many parts is the Download version be in??

My connection speed is a little slow, but I have the time to wait :-)
- it would be nice if I could download the 63 Gb's in smaller parts (0,5 to 1 Gb) - is it possible?

Thank You!

bjarke wrote:How many parts is the Download version be in??

My connection speed is a little slow, but I have the time to wait :-)
- it would be nice if I could download the 63 Gb's in smaller parts (0,5 to 1 Gb) - is it possible?

Thank You!
One download is always one product. The biggest one is almost 15 gigs. Then all the others are under 10 gigs few of them only 1-3 gigs in size.

I recommend using some kind of download manager which let's you pause downloads when needed. It helps if you have slow internet connection.

In my UVI account I noticed there were separate download links for the individual items I had previously purchased, and for the Vintage Vault versions.

The Vintage Vault versions are significantly smaller, and their UFS files have different filenames (they start with "VV_"). I've highlighted the String Machines files below.

I presume this means that for people who already had some of the products before, if you wanted to de-activate your existing products on your iLok and replace them with the blanket Vintage Vault license, you'd have to install the new VV UFS versions.

Does anyone know if the discount for owners of other UVI libraries expires?

UltimateOutsider wrote:In my UVI account I noticed there were separate download links for the individual items I had previously purchased, and for the Vintage Vault versions.

The Vintage Vault versions are significantly smaller, and their UFS files have different filenames (they start with "VV_"). I've highlighted the String Machines files below.

I presume this means that for people who already had some of the products before, if you wanted to de-activate your existing products on your iLok and replace them with the blanket Vintage Vault license, you'd have to install the new VV UFS versions.
Vintage vault versions use a dedicated authorization. So this is not some authorization bundle, which explains why there is a different set of soundbank file.
They are way smaller as well because samples are stored using the FLAC format, an open source lossless audio compression algorithm.
Last edited by otristan on Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Olivier Tristan
Developer - UVI Team
http://www.uvi.net

Thank you UVI for this very generous offer :)

I had been drooling over some of those, and it's an outstanding value at that price. There are some real gems in here.

Fantastic sound quality as always, plus UVI Workstation works like a charm - light and robust. Love it :tu:
Alexis

otristan wrote:They are way smaller as well because samples are stored using the FLAC format, an open source lossless audio compression algorithm.
Thanks for the info. Just to confirm, besides the file sizes being smaller due to FLAC, do they otherwise contain the same samples and patches as the standalone product equivalents? I'd love to save some hard drive space if I can.

AFAIK they do.

However, beware that UFS don't have the same name and sample files in it may not have the same name, so you cannot consider a drop-in replacement if you want to reload without any issues older sessions

Hope this clarify things.
Olivier Tristan
Developer - UVI Team

That definitely helps, thanks for the info!

The website gives the impression that the Vintage Vault contains the full listed products (Digital Synsations, Vector Pro etc).

However, the hard drive space of Vintage Vault is listed as 63GB, whereas if you total the listed hard drive space of all the individual instruments, it comes to 114GB. (Vector Pro is 30GB alone).

So does the Vintage Vault bundle come with cut-down versions of the stand alone instruments?

Or is this because the bundle uses FLAC-compressed samples, but the individual instruments do not?

Incidentally, whoever does the GUI's and design for the UVI products is doing fab work...! :)

beely wrote:The website gives the impression that the Vintage Vault contains the full listed products (Digital Synsations, Vector Pro etc).

However, the hard drive space of Vintage Vault is listed as 63GB, whereas if you total the listed hard drive space of all the individual instruments, it comes to 114GB. (Vector Pro is 30GB alone).

So does the Vintage Vault bundle come with cut-down versions of the stand alone instruments?
No, Vintage Vault contains full versions.
beely wrote: Or is this because the bundle uses FLAC-compressed samples, but the individual instruments do not?
Yes, only Vintage Vault versions currently use the FLAC-compressed samples, which explains the reduced hard drive space.
Yes, FLAC is great and works very well on mono timbral content (as opposed to full mix with lots of instruments)
Olivier Tristan
Developer - UVI Team

otristan wrote:Yes, only Vintage Vault versions currently use the FLAC-compressed samples, which explains the reduced hard drive space.
Thanks for the clarification.

How does the decompression work - are the samples uncompressed into ram when loaded (if so, I guess load times are not affected too much as there is less disk access (which is slow) but with an extra uncompression stage), or are they loaded into ram compressed and uncompressed on the fly during playback?

I guess this is to get a handle on what performance trade-offs there may be using this approach.

I guess this stuff is in the manuals, I should go and look really...

beely wrote: How does the decompression work - are the samples uncompressed into ram when loaded (if so, I guess load times are not affected too much as there is less disk access (which is slow) but with an extra uncompression stage), or are they loaded into ram compressed and uncompressed on the fly during playback?

I guess this is to get a handle on what performance trade-offs there may be using this approach.

I guess this stuff is in the manuals, I should go and look really...
This is not in the manual as this is an implementation detail.
To sum up, samples are decompressed on the fly as UVIWorkstation stream data from the HD.
Loading is faster as well as indeed there is less data to read from the HD which is usually the bottleneck.

Hope this answers your questions.
Olivier Tristan
Developer - UVI Team

Thanks for that Olivier! :tu:

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”