Someone decided to ripoff my artist and label name

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

They just put a space between Sample and Science:

http://sounds.beatport.com/publisher/sa ... ence/40733

Unfortunately, it seems there's nothing I can do about this. I just find it weird that Beatport didn't check this before taking this label into their store. A simple google would have shown that there's already a sample label producing and selling under that name. :(

If you have a registered trademark, copyright and/or business name, you do have legal recourse in your favor. If you've just been using the name without registration, you may still have a legal recourse if you can prove that you've been using the name longer. You should consult a lawyer in any case.
Robert Len Stallard
True to the music...

www.RLSguitar.com
KVR Seller/Buyer Feedback

RLSguitar wrote:If you have a registered trademark, copyright and/or business name, you do have legal recourse in your favor. If you've just been using the name without registration, you may still have a legal recourse if you can prove that you've been using the name longer. You should consult a lawyer in any case.
I operate from Canada and I don't think Canadian laws can apply in other countries. So far, no reply from the guy who operate this business. I know that it's possible to have a similar business name as another business if you're field is different. This guys obviously haven't made a simple google search to see if the name was already taken.

SampleScience wrote:
RLSguitar wrote:If you have a registered trademark, copyright and/or business name, you do have legal recourse in your favor. If you've just been using the name without registration, you may still have a legal recourse if you can prove that you've been using the name longer. You should consult a lawyer in any case.
I operate from Canada and I don't think Canadian laws can apply in other countries. So far, no reply from the guy who operate this business. I know that it's possible to have a similar business name as another business if you're field is different. This guys obviously haven't made a simple google search to see if the name was already taken.
There are international agreements when it comes to trademarks and copyrights. If you want to fight it and have the money to spare, I would consult a lawyer.
Robert Len Stallard
True to the music...

www.RLSguitar.com
KVR Seller/Buyer Feedback

Pretty dumb move as it will confuse everyone, stick to your name and let him suffer from that dumb move.

Nice logo as well...
Try to contact beatport directly attaching a copy of your business/trade name certificate.
AudioThing (VST, AU, AAX, CLAP Plugins)
Instagram | Twitter | Discord Server

Dave Gahan of Depeche Mode said: You aint been happenin' until you've been bootlegged :wink:

A very annoying move by those guys. I don't think it will hurt you in the long run if you stick to what you're doing, though.

A couple of years ago when my website was still a fairly new project, another website popped up with a very similar domain name and overall theme. I was totally pissed - how can someone make a site if they don't check what else is out there with a similar name. I kept on writing for my site though, while they just stopped after a while and eventually their site was gone.

Btw, that "Sample Science" logo also reminds me of another company's logo, but I can't figure out what that other company is. Perhaps, if someone figures it out, you can get in touch with that other company and then you could try and fix this together.
Bedroom Producers Blog << Free VST Plugins!

Yeah ... I've seen that logo on KVR before. :?

I had a similar thing happen with one of my bands. We released a CD album and a 12" single as Marineville. Few years later a NZ band turns up calling themselves MarineVille. I contacted them, but they decided to keep their name, and have an account on SC using it. :shrug:

Name (Sample Science) and Logo (Audio Thing).

That would make me wonder where the samples come from.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Aloysius wrote:Name (Sample Science) and Logo (Audio Thing).

That would make me wonder where the samples come from.
Exactly! I would suspect the samples to be rip offs too... And ripping off AudioThing logo as well as my name is a weird move. I mean, the sample dev scene is so small, he can't have miss the fact that we already exist. Just type SampleScience in google and you'll get plenty of results featuring my artworks and sample libraries.

Lovely originality there. Like mama always said: "son, the world is full of turds"...
You need to limit that rez, bro.

Are you sure it's intentional rip-off? No diss, but it is a little 'generic' name, I checked Google (which has surely targeted me as interested in audio stuff), I found Sample Science company from Australia (samplescience.com.au) which is clearly not audio related, search returned more than million results, yet no trace of any Sample Sciences in question on first 20 pages, I didn't bother to browse further... And the logo? Get into any stock agency pages, type "science" in vector image search and you will get this graphic in 10 versions on first page. Again, no disrespect, but maybe give them a benefit of a doubt?

Zombie Queen wrote:Are you sure it's intentional rip-off? No diss, but it is a little 'generic' name, I checked Google (which has surely targeted me as interested in audio stuff), I found Sample Science company from Australia (samplescience.com.au) which is clearly not audio related, search returned more than million results, yet no trace of any Sample Sciences in question on first 20 pages, I didn't bother to browse further... And the logo? Get into any stock agency pages, type "science" in vector image search and you will get this graphic in 10 versions on first page. Again, no disrespect, but maybe give them a benefit of a doubt?
That's what I first thought, but the guy never replied to my Facebook messages and emails. But he may in the future, we'll see.

SampleScience wrote:I operate from Canada and I don't think Canadian laws can apply in other countries. So far, no reply from the guy who operate this business. I know that it's possible to have a similar business name as another business if you're field is different. This guys obviously haven't made a simple google search to see if the name was already taken.
Contact Beatport. They'll probably remove him and may even blacklist him.

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”