Trim leading silence of samples in Kontakt or Wavelab?

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi there,

I recently bought Pettinhouse Direct Guitar, and the palm mute samples have silence at the beginning ranging from 0 to 40ms. This is very bad when playing rather fast rhythmic figures.

Can I automatically let Kontakt adjust the sample start time to cut away the leading silence?

Or could Wavelab do this? Some batch processing?

I guess the silence is not digital silence but a threshold of say -60db could be used to detect it.

I have looked into Audacity but apparently that cuts all silence, beginning, end, and in between? I would only want to cut silence at the beginning.

It's probably easiest to adjust these manually. How many of these palm-muted samples do you have?
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

CableChannel wrote:Hi there,

I recently bought Pettinhouse Direct Guitar, and the palm mute samples have silence at the beginning ranging from 0 to 40ms. This is very bad when playing rather fast rhythmic figures.
Just curious, what does Pettinhouse say about that? He must have had a reason.
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

I contacted him. I guess it was just quick and dirty sample processing.

Its palm mute 86 samples, but of course it would be even better to cut all articulations samples so one can play rhythmic stuff accurately.

Just tried around cutting that "silence" manually for a few samples, but I feel it contains a tiny bit of the initial "snap" sound, if you cut it it looses a tiny bit of brightness. So... difficult decision. At least this time should be the same for all samples so you can still play an accurate 16th rhythm.

I would (do) cut them all manually in a DAW. You can of course use kontakt to edit the start times and also the amp envelope to taste but I personally like good samples to start with.

I would want my money back.

CableChannel wrote:Hi there,

Can I automatically let Kontakt adjust the sample start time to cut away the leading silence?

Or could Wavelab do this? Some batch processing?

I guess the silence is not digital silence but a threshold of say -60db could be used to detect it.
Hi,

That's not a problem of DirectGuitar, that's something that I do on purpose when I map samples on Kontakt in order to include the attacks of each sample. Obviously I can do the opposite and trim all the attacks so would be easier to create fast rhythmic figures but in this way you would have problems when you play notes on a moderate BPM.
It's a compromise, DirectGuitar is a Stratocaster guitar library which fits in many situations and like all libraries it has some limit.

Anyway I sent you an email with a modified patch of the Bridge pickup where I trimmed the attacks of the palm mute samples. Now you can play fast rhythmic figures

Andrea
Last edited by pettinhouse on Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Guitar, Drum and Bass sample libraries for Kontakt
www.pettinhouse.com

Thanks very much!

Well it is good to keep the attacks in the samples. Best option would be to keep a constant attack time throughout the samples so one can play tight rhythmic figures and still have all the attack of the instrument.

One could then just pull the MIDI notes a little before the beat to make up for the attack time.

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”