Rap Kits and Legitimacy

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Since I started getting into making rap and trap instrumentals, I have found myself becoming limited when it comes to finding certain samples that seem to be used absolutely EVERYWHERE, for example the very generic "wuh" and "hey" chants, string hits, among others.

I've seen a very popular trend towards downloading ripped and sampled sample packs from rather shady sites and mediafires, but I have not chosen to use them, since it seems on the edge of piracy. But I see many many many people selling beats and using sample libraries like this Maybach Music Group kit from NOIS3:
http://www.nois3.com/2011/08/maybach-mu ... nois3.html

However, it is stated in the fine print that these sounds are sampled and cannot be used for commercial purposes. Then, there are sites that seem... a little shady, and youtube videos with links to Mediafire, and I'm just not willing to grab a kit that does not appear to come from a legit place.
But when a sample like the chants in the beginning of the following song are absolutely everywhere, who owns the copyright and who can sue you?
Hardwell - Spaceman (Carnage Festival Trap Remix):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-x469URGK1w

I've looked in many legit places like PrimeLoops for these samples but it seems that they don't stock them (most likely since everyone has them already). Is there some legit site that I just haven't found yet that stocks these sounds? Or are the Mediafire links and seemingly not-legit sites the only way?

Best regards,
Jellydonut

Jellydonut wrote: I've seen a very popular trend towards downloading ripped and sampled sample packs from rather shady sites and mediafires, but I have not chosen to use them, since it seems on the edge of piracy.
Um, it's not on the "edge", it is piracy.

i bet old freestyle tracks, 2 live crew, world class wrecking crew, some other crews..

(*freestyle used to be a genre, sometimes aka latin bass..)
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

Best just not to go there, to be honest. But you have to ask yourself, if these sounds are being used everywhere, do you really want to be using them? The few artists with a rap/trap flavour to their work that I've actually liked and found memorable all have their own innovataive take which in some way transcends "simply being a trap beat" or whatever.

I'm sure it's possible to find legit or record/engineer some "hey" and "uhn" chants, etc. That you haven't been tempted to get sucked into this whirlpool of "me too" generic mediocrity is a good sign. Keep going down that path!
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

Sendy wrote:Best just not to go there, to be honest. But you have to ask yourself, if these sounds are being used everywhere, do you really want to be using them? The few artists with a rap/trap flavour to their work that I've actually liked and found memorable all have their own innovataive take which in some way transcends "simply being a trap beat" or whatever.

I'm sure it's possible to find legit or record/engineer some "hey" and "uhn" chants, etc. That you haven't been tempted to get sucked into this whirlpool of "me too" generic mediocrity is a good sign. Keep going down that path!
Thanks Sendy!
I totally understand what you're saying about following suit like that, but ya know, once in a while it is kinda fun to make the most stereotypical sounding beat you can imagine :D
I have tried to engineer my own chant samples as well, but I don't have the equipment for it, outside of my headphone mic. Do you know of a place where I can find some chants online? I've heard about this acapellas4u place, and I have dug very deep into FreeSound but I haven't really been able to find much in terms of samples...
When I do get samples I like to get them from places like Loopmasters and PrimeLoops, but they do charge a lot and their packs often have only one or two sounds that really stick. Where do you (guys) like to get your samples?

Best regards,
Jellydonut

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”