Miroslav Philharmonic CE vs Full (Strings)

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Sorry for my english...

I recently bought Garritan Personal Orchestra 4 and from all great sounding instruments strings are awful. So I started to look after cheap decent library.

Then I came across MPO and it's lite version "Classik". From opinions it seems that strings are the highlight.

I don't want to spend too much money. I don't need no choir workstation, brass, woodwinds. I've got them (except for choir) in GPO4. I'm after the strings.

In MPO description there is only Instrument X, Y variations, Z instruments.

And here are the questions :
1. (CE)23 Violins:
4 instruments, 8 variations
What does it mean ? Variation = Articulation ? 23 violins = 4 violins ?? :?
(FULL)23 Violins:
36 instruments, 216 variations
23 violins = 36 violins ? :ud:

2. Is there any serious diffrence in sound beetween full edition strings and classic edition strings ?

First, before investing in another library, add some reverb to the GPO and taste again.

GPO is a fine instrument, for what it is, it just needs a bit of spices to get the best from it. I believe this is purposeful from the creator so they appear to be more real.

If you have the full version you have more than enough to get started composing.

Additional libraries augment each other, although once you reach that plateau of buying high end instruments, you will find your go to library and continue to use these lower priced volumes as fillers. They will also be in your arsenal so why not use them, so to speak.

Now, regarding some of your questions:
Variations do not equal articulations. Articulations will be such as legato, staccato, pizzicato, etc.
Variations (on the articulations) will be for example, a legato, a tremolo legato, or a staccato long, a staccato short, etc.

I have no clue what you mean by "23 violins = 4 violins" and "23 violins = 36 violins".

There is no difference in sound in Miroslav libraries, however, there may be a different set of variations and articulations per library. They will use the same sample base. If this is what you mean?

I'm not even sure you can still buy these as they have been removed from the IKM store and the eSoundz store, AFAIK.

You may be able to pick them up second hand I suppose.

Be aware these are x32 bit vst's. If you are using an x64 bit DAW you will need a wrapper (like jBridge) to run them (in many DAW's - depending).

HTH

Happy Musiking!
dsan
Last edited by dsan@mail.com on Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My DAW System:
W7, i5, x64, 8Gb Ram, Edirol FA-101

DrStrangebeat wrote:And here are the questions :
1. (CE)23 Violins: 4 instruments, 8 variations
What does it mean ? Variation = Articulation ? 23 violins = 4 violins ?? :?
(FULL)23 Violins:
36 instruments, 216 variations
23 violins = 36 violins ? :ud:

2. Is there any serious diffrence in sound beetween full edition strings and classic edition strings ?
Looking at the "Full" edition here:
23 Violins means sounds recorded by an ensemble of 23 violins.
36 instruments means 36 different recordings of 23 violins, some will be different articulations. But I have fewer instruments here.
216 variations means 216 different variations on those 36 instruments ( 6 each?), control by Expression Pedal, Slow, Bright, Crescendo for example. But, again I see fewer variations here.

The numbers on the IK Multimedia Philharmonik page do not look correct to me.

There is no sound difference for the same instruments / variations. You just get a lot more (NB there is no upgrade path from CE to Full)
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

Thank you very much.

I exaggerated there a bit. Sorry for that.
GPO Strings are ok. They just won't match my piece that I'm remixing. Previously I used SSO free library which can give realistic sound but the quality of it is low.

Is MPO the solution ? And if not, is there anything under 100 $ worth buying.

Could you suggest something ? All I can see is MPO CE...

ps.sorry for english

Your English is fine DrStrangebeat :tu: No need to apologize ;)

At that price point, I think MSO is about the "best" you will find. It has a lot to offer. But it is not the do all to end all. ;)

A lot of the devs have freebies you can download to test their instruments by. Most are Kontakt format. If you use the free Kontakt player you can get 15 minutes worth of productivity from it before it quits. Always right in the middle of a heated moment of course :)

I suggest do a search for symphonic (orchestral) instruments to find the free stuff. Use the KVR instruments data base search too. It's an extremely helpful resource.

Some of them, like Embertone, have some nice sounds, albeit limited in the free ware.
http://embertone.com/

Check out Bigcat Instruments too. He put has put together some (A LOT!) free instruments that may be helpful to you.
http://bigcatinstruments.blogspot.com/

HTH

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:
W7, i5, x64, 8Gb Ram, Edirol FA-101

Miroslav demo has less than the full installer

iirc gpo is a more raw, woody sound, while miroslav was a little bit more finished, 'hollywood' sound. that may be what you are looking for.

you could see if someone has a version of kirk hunter pop/rock strings for sale, may be able to get it reasonably. i thought MPO actually sounds pretty good but PRS is way more playable, for me at least...

Miroslav full was like $40 I think on jrr shop a couple days back. Worth seeing if that's still available!

this is pretty cheap & decent:
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5853982
only ensembles though.

What kind computer you use?
and hollywood or classical sound?

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”