Karoryfer and bigcat collaboration - free cello library

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

After sampling ourselves for four basses, two sets of glitches and a guitar, we've started sampling others. First we released the Growlybass which sounds much more bassistlike and less producerlike than my own basses. Now, together with bigcat instruments and a cellist who's always been willing to put up with my weird ideas, we're releasing a free cello library for both Kontakt and SFZ. So, let's just call it the Karoryfer x bigcat cello!

http://bigcatinstruments.blogspot.com/2 ... cello.html

And yeah, that really is our cellist with her cello, but it's probably not really her bicycle.

The Kontakt version has the same built-in effects as bigcat's recent electric pianos and Cute Emily that also use the same script and shell by Mickaël Ménager. The samples here include sustained notes, staccato notes, pizz notes, and in the usual Karoryfer tradition some bonus noises - various parts of the cello being thumped for pizz, and harmonics slides for arco. There are also two not-so-realistic mappings. One with short and long notes bowed at once, for fake marcato, and another with all the four velocity layers and both round robins of the long notes triggered at once. The total of eight layers don't sound much like a cello section, more like the world's most organic string machine.

The samples are close-miked and recorded dry and without vibrato, so it's probably not the best cello for being epic, cinematic or melodramatic, but should be very flexible for pop, EDM and rock, especially considering the Kontakt instruments include distortion and amp simulation. We ended up with 527 samples and a 155 MB download that contains both the SFZ and Kontakt versions.

If this does well, we'll try to talk the rest of the cellist's string quartet into recording samples as well, though I don't know the other girls personally so I don't know if we'd be able to keep that a freebie.

Here's a demo, a fragment of the cello parts from one of Ludwik Zamenhof's tracks - he also worked on recording and editing this cello and made the glitch libraries we released earlier.

https://soundcloud.com/karoryfersamples ... er-lecolds
Last edited by DSmolken on Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hey thanks (to all involved) for this freebie, the demo sounds sweet. :)

KVR Audio Forum Signature is currently unavailable for your web browser.

Thanks for these :tu:

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”