Which of these ideas is the least crazy?

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Mapped to a drum kit and played at speed they could do the lead vocals, I bet. Language is no barrier.

Wow, now there's an idea. If you can do that, we'll need a video demo.

Working on the bagpipes. Got looping, random offset for startpoints, and envelope and vibrato controls working in Sforzando today.

Well, if I can get a good mapping -- longer sounds on cymbals, short barks on drums -- I think it should work :). I'd be overlaying it on to a drum kit whilst playing (I'm thinking DrumMic'A has the right edge). I've no idea on getting a decently grungy two part lead guitar sound plus bass, though...

Planning to record death metal girl tomorrow morning. Current plan is to do words containing the 44 basic English phonemes. Plus some shouts like "ugh", "hey", "blah", "go" that could be used as short samples on their own.

44 might be a lot to map to one drum kit, but between different velocities, degrees of hi-hat openness etc. it might all fit.

And the bagpipes can be used for big room plucks, but surprisingly the thing they seem best for is organic, non-obnoxious pads. I think I got all the component parts working - different ways of detuning, effects, controls etc. Now I just need to put them together into properly organized and named SFZ files and figure out what skin the bag is made from.

If time permits, could you record the numbers 1 through 10? :)

Cheers

KVR Audio Forum Signature is currently unavailable for your web browser.

We probably could, that wouldn't take long. We'll see - depends mostly on how many round robins we feel like doing for everything else.

Bagpipes are about done, too. I did pluck, organ and pad versions each with eight versions: one voice tuned manually, one voice pitch-corrected, eight voices pitch-corrected, and eight voices with five different kinds of detune. Even got the overdrive, ambience and delay MDA effects that are bundled into Sforzando to work. Plus I also did a fairly bagpipey mapping.

Death metal girl recorded under cows, only took about a half hour so we threw in the numbers from one to ten, and even included zero. Got three round robins for the 44 English phonemes and some "hey", "blah", "ugh" type shouts.

I already couldn't resist running them through Rovee and turning its formant shift knob up to chipmunk. Wow that sounds weird.

I've got them chopped up and mapped to keys, though it will take a lot more work before they're actually usable for sequencing lyrics. But if anybody wants to play with them now and do some testing, PM me.

I guess you can always reverse some of the consonants and layer them with hi-hats and snares. Resynthesizing the vowels makes terrible synth choirs, though.

You want to make a lyrics building sequencer? This sounds interesting.

Yeah, a death metal wordbuilder. And if I can't pull that off, we'll see what else these are good for.

DSmolken wrote:so we threw in the numbers from one to ten, and even included zero.
Thank you! I wanted to edit or reply about 'zero' but i was happy you even considered the numbers :)

KVR Audio Forum Signature is currently unavailable for your web browser.

DSmolken wrote:
Death metal phonemes - growled vocals that could be used to assemble lyrics, recorded by a very petite girl. I've mentioned this idea before.
Before I answer, I need to know, what will she be wearing?

Could you elaborate on wordbuilder? How would it look, some menu to construct words from pieces and then playback in tempo? How to solve stretching pieces to time? What would it be based on, samplerwise?

So far I'm just figuring out how to manually assemble words from these chunks and make them fit tempo. It would probably end up in Kontakt eventually. I've talked to a guy I know who produces hip-hop and is majoring in software development, sent him links to the Realivox Blue and Virharmonic wordbuilder walkthroughs. I'm trying to convince him that this would be a good thesis project.

ghettosynth wrote:Before I answer, I need to know, what will she be wearing?
Oh, forgot to reply to this... she's into metal, so all I've ever seen her wear is jeans, T-shirts, and black lace-up boots. Nothing interesting, I'm afraid. Here she is with her old band.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... PpGFk#t=81

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”