Old samplers and file conversion - low cost solution

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey everyone. Just wanted to post about some conversion software I bought that is pretty slick.

I bought a used mv-8800 drum sampler, multisampler, workstation with the 16 pads and all that. Refurbished and customized it myself with new HD, RAM upgrade, new DVD reader/CD Writer, new screws and all that. Skinned it with custom designed skin from Styleflip. All excited to use it, but many samples I imported would not preview and had message saying it was unsupported file. I read up on it and apparently the preview function only works with 16 bit, 44.1 KHz samples. You can import 24 bit, but no preview and read some had issues with 24 bit anyway. Now this is a fun workstation with a lot of features and I recently bought about 24 GB of samples from Producerloops, Loopmasters, etc to use on my iPad with Beatmaker 2, but I also have a ton of older sample libraries and some of them still have 24 bit or even 32 bit float wav files.

I found this software called Switch that let's you do 100 files at a time for free or buy for $29.99 and do unlimited.

I bought it because you can do unlimited amount at once and many different file types supported. Let's you pick folder and mirror folder structure.

First shot with a folder having multiple sub folders and 2010 files. It lets you normalize them on conversion too. Worked perfect and was really fast.

Just wanted to share that because Audition wouldn't let me add the folder. Only add files on batch convert. I think Soundforge lets you do this already, so if you own Soundforge, no need for stuff like this, but $29.99 was better than a few hundred for Soundforge since I don't own that already.

Pretty cool for fans of older hardware, but have new sample libraries.
"I am a meat popsicle"
Soundcloud Vondragonnoggin
Soundclick Wormhelmet

Just an update - converted 36GB of samples so far and all of them (all I randomly previewed) read easily and previewed correctly in MV-8800. This thing is fast for batch conversion.
"I am a meat popsicle"
Soundcloud Vondragonnoggin
Soundclick Wormhelmet

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”