Hideaway Studio Releases Synergenesis for Kontakt

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

... And another great library from Hideaway :)

On reading your email announcement, what a labour of love get the gear up and running and creating this for us all.

--------------------------
PS I removed the "SYNERGENESIS - " from the instrument names to see them more clearly in the Browser- that hasn't affected the Multis :)

And, in case anyone panics, Glockenspeigel starts at C3, not C1 (that was the first instrument that I loaded ;))
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

Yeah I've also gone through all the multis and removed "SYNERGENESIS - " from all instruments. Annoys me a bit, that. :)

Here are all the NKIs edited. Also note that I set all groups to DFD mode (Dan had a mishap so all groups are in "sampler" mode by default, which increases the RAM load substantially), so you will have a much smaller RAM load!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1rOKP ... sp=sharing

^^^^
Thank you ED - yep that does reduce the RAM usage considerably.

I dragged the new files into the Instruments folder to replace the old one and saw that 18 instrument names were different, I then deleted those old files.

Out of curiosity, DFD mode streams the samples from disk (or, perhaps, from the OS disk cache?) every time each sample is played. Is there any "rule of thumb" (informal guideline) for when this might be slowed down by the disc I/O capability?
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

DarkStar wrote:And, in case anyone panics, Glockenspeigel starts at C3, not C1 (that was the first instrument that I loaded ;))
Yes - I should explain this one as a couple others have picked up on it...

Some of the patches have strong sweet spots on the Synergy. The issue I had with the Glockenspiel was that it sounded so nice above C3 and so awful below it and simply transposing the C3 sample down sounded really bogus that I omitted the samples below C3.

Another thing I encountered a lot and now the very same on the GDS too is that I had to turn down the velocity to modulation index scaling on some patches because very rapidly it all sounds really nasty if you end up overmodulating everything and you find yourself playing the keyboard very lightly as a result.

The same is sometimes true on the DX series but somehow it sounds more nasty (and not in a good way!) on the GDS variants.

Fortunately the Synergy has controls on the front panel to easily change the velocity sensitivity scaling.
Home of Novachord #346...

DarkStar wrote:Out of curiosity, DFD mode streams the samples from disk (or, perhaps, from the OS disk cache?) every time each sample is played. Is there any "rule of thumb" (informal guideline) for when this might be slowed down by the disc I/O capability?
Not from OS disk cache, it streams from the disk directly. Generally, the faster the drive spins, the better the DFD performance is. Random seek time is a critical factor here (this is why SSDs rule for disk streaming, because you can reduce the DFD buffer size to minimum, or even load instruments purged, so only samples that are actually used in the project get loaded to RAM). Also if the disk is queried for data by other programs (OS, DAW), it can introduce additional slowdowns because the disk needs to catch up with that demand.

HideawayStudio wrote:Some of the patches have strong sweet spots on the Synergy. The issue I had with the Glockenspiel was that it sounded so nice above C3 and so awful below it and simply transposing the C3 sample down sounded really bogus that I omitted the samples below C3.g.
Should've adjusted the min-max key range controls in the 5th script slot then, Dan. This would have adjusted the key coloring as well, so there wouldn't be any head-scratching ;)

On the other hand, personally I don't find stretching the C3 sample down to C1 sounding bad in any way... it's definitely usable IMHO.

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”