Switching to a bigger internal sample hard drive without breaking links to old projects

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I want to switch out my current sample drive for a bigger one.
If I copy all of my files to the new drive and rename the drive to have the same exact name as my old drive - will my old projects open up fine?

For example, my current sample drive is called "HD 4"
If I copy everything to my new drive and rename the new hard drive "HD 4" will my old projects open up without any issues?

I'm using a Mac if that helps.

Thanks!

jackson881 wrote:I want to switch out my current sample drive for a bigger one.
If I copy all of my files to the new drive and rename the drive to have the same exact name as my old drive - will my old projects open up fine?

If I copy everything to my new drive and rename the new hard drive "HD 4" will my old projects open up without any issues?

Thanks!
On Windows the drive letter must be the same that the ancient HD had ( c:, d:, e: etc etc) I suppose its similar on a Mac.

Then copying the exact same folders/subfolders architecture should be enough. Hope it helps.
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

You do want to keep the same name as a general principle; however what sampler are you concerned with? For examples, if it happened to be VSL, everything is going to be recognized. If it's Kontakt, you're going to want to update the database particularly if the path to the samples is defined 'absolute' in the instrument.

jancivil wrote:You do want to keep the same name as a general principle; however what sampler are you concerned with? For examples, if it happened to be VSL, everything is going to be recognized. If it's Kontakt, you're going to want to update the database particularly if the path to the samples is defined 'absolute' in the instrument.
Thanks for the reply. I'd just like to trick my computer into thinking nothing changed. I was hoping if I copied the exact same files and named the drive the exact same thing as it is now that my Mac wouldn't even notice the difference. Is that not so? :?

I can't be certain without testing but my sense is that w. Kontakt instruments where Kontakt has been instructed to take an absolute path to the samples, Kontakt won't be persuaded otherwise. If everything was defined as 'relative path', that's a different situation.

BUT! Is this an internal drive in the same slot as the previous one? That would be the same path I think.

jackson881 wrote:I want to switch out my current sample drive for a bigger one.

Thanks!
Connect the new drive with a different name, say TempHD
Mirror the directory structure
Remove the old drive and rename the new drive to the same name as the original,or, just rename both drives at this point HD 4 -> OldHD 4 and TempHD -> HD 4 (in that order, of course)

This should work. On a mac the drives are mounted under /Volumes/<drive name>. I don't think that at an application level you will have any issues with the (internal) drive ID changing. Worse case, you have your old drive to plug back in.

Once you've verified everything you can reuse your old drive for something else.

jancivil wrote:BUT! Is this an internal drive in the same slot as the previous one? That would be the same path I think.
Yes, same exact slot. So, hopefully the computer won't know the difference. My drive is coming next week. I'll let you guys know how it goes. Thanks for the advice!

In case anybody cares or was following this - I switched out the hard drive today on my Mac. I renamed the new drive with the EXACT same name as my old drive and copied the exact same files / directory structure over. My DAW and VI plugins all still work perfectly. None of my sessions had any problems locating the samples. Everything working great!

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”