Kontakt 6 - any rumors about release?

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Kontakt

I see a wider instrument screen. Much needed. I wonder how much of the interface has been overhauled.
How about an update to the god awful output mapping process?
How about being able to copy automation and controller mapping between patches or being set globally for an instrument?
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

EvilDragon wrote:
SJ_Digriz wrote:Wow, unlike Reaktor 6 it doesn't look like anything useful was done to Kontakt 6.
From developer side that's totally not correct. :)
Ok, they wrote lots of code. I don't dispute that. But what's in it for me? I see almost nothing.

Wider instrument screen was possible since 5.6. Output mapping is not really a problem IMHO, there are already helpful actions that create outputs depending on number of loaded instruments and so on.

Automation assignment consistency between instruments is handled via scripting. I know you don't wanna hear this but it is what it is. :)
SJ_Digriz wrote:But what's in it for me? I see almost nothing.
You don't need to see, you need to hear. The wavetable oscillator sounds great, the Replika delay and new algo reverbs are stellar. :)
Last edited by EvilDragon on Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EvilDragon wrote:

You tried the "CREATOR TOOLS". Is it better than using Sublime Text for KSP?

goleat wrote:
EvilDragon wrote:

You tried the "CREATOR TOOLS". Is it better than using Sublime Text for KSP?
It doesn't replace Sublime Tools as it's not a text editor, it is another helper tool, makes debugging much much easier since you can see more than one line at a time, filter by instrument, script slot, type of message...

EvilDragon wrote:Wider instrument screen was possible since 5.6.
If it isn't wider than 5.6 then I withdraw my approval. It still is a suck ass environment.
Output mapping is not really a problem IMHO, there are already helpful actions that create outputs depending on number of loaded instruments and so on.
Output mapping is the most obtuse mess of a set of operations that are nearly unusable in a complex setup.
Automation assignment consistency between instruments is handled via scripting. I know you don't wanna hear this but it is what it is. :)
Exactly, I don't want to script .. I want to assign and be done.

So, I'm back to why the heck would I pay $1 for this let alone $100.

SJ_Digriz wrote:Output mapping is the most obtuse mess of a set of operations that are nearly unusable in a complex setup.
Pray tell give me the details on what exactly you mean by that. I've always been able to set outputs exactly how I needed them, and fast.

Trying to set number of outputs to instruments per instance if an f'n nightmare. Why the heck do I want to reset that internally every time? Those tiny little edit windows for output channels are terrible. Having to open each one at a time, only to find it is missmapped and has to be reset one at a time ..............I have no idea why you are defending that crap process. It is awful.

I will agree about the edit windows for output channels, but the rest doesn't hold water to me. There's a specific batch action to create outputs for all loaded instruments in one single action.

But moreover, I've already set my default output layout to 32 stereo outputs that are always available, so I just route whatever I want to whichever output, whenever. It's pretty simple - do it once and never think about it ever again?

EvilDragon wrote:I will agree about the edit windows for output channels, but the rest doesn't hold water to me. There's a specific batch action to create outputs for all loaded instruments in one single action.

But moreover, I've already set my default output layout to 32 stereo outputs that are always available, so I just route whatever I want to whichever output, whenever. It's pretty simple - do it once and never think about it ever again?
I have mine set to 32 outs as well. And just as often as not, the output assignment from the batch do strange things to OTHER loaded instances. I've loaded my VEP instances to discover that all my routings have been trashed by a change I made in an instance in Cubase. All my labels are borked and the outputs no longer route to the VEP channels. It's a crappy interface. The menuing is crappy. The size is crappy. The scaling doesn't exist. Anyhow, I don't need to argue about it. I just don't see anything compelling about this release. A lot of years for nothing for the user experience. It's a freakin 20 year old interface and it shows.

The developer tools and the new effects are cool. Looking at their screenshots, it looks like you can make the main window wider than Kontakt 5.

I wonder if I can MIDI-map the output mixer faders and effects inserted into the mixer. I demoed Halion 6, and it allows you to do it, which is pretty useful in live situations, in my case.

EvilDragon wrote:
You don't need to see, you need to hear. The wavetable oscillator sounds great, the Replika delay and new algo reverbs are stellar. :)

You know what I didn't need inside my sampler, though? A new algo reverb -- I'm covered there, really, truly.

You know what else I didn't need in my sampler? Wavetable synthesis...I'm well covered there, too, really, truly.

You know what else I didn't need in my samler? A delay plugin I already own.

What I *did* need was improved workflow and UI, but whatever.

\RU wrote: Looking at their screenshots, it looks like you can make the main window wider than Kontakt 5.
That's odd, I said the same thing about the screen width but ED said no. Which is curious because it looks at least double the max current width in that picture.

SJ_Digriz wrote:
\RU wrote: Looking at their screenshots, it looks like you can make the main window wider than Kontakt 5.
That's odd, I said the same thing about the screen width but ED said no. Which is curious because it looks at least double the max current width in that picture.
He said the wide screen feature became available in ver. 5.6, so maybe it got even wider? That is what I hope!

or maybe I'm a dumbass and don't know how to get actual widescreen mode. But, wide is still very narrow here on 5.8.

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”