Do you think Native Instruments will retire Kontakt instead of releasing v.6

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Kontakt is one of the oldest products still in sale, v1 came out almost 15 years ago.

When v.6 not appearing, one can start wondering if it will ever appear.

Wouldn't it be easier for Native Instruments to retire Kontakt, and rather release a new sampler instrument?

I'm quite confident Kontakt 6 is coming.
Shreddage 3 Stratus: Next generation Kontakt Player guitar, now available!

Impact Soundworks - Cinematic sounds, world instruments, electric guitars, synths, percussion, plugins + more!

Seen from an abstract pov, it could make sense indeed ... except that

The strenghts of Kontakt are probably a part of its weaknesses. Old product, finally mature and stable, with an incredible number of libraries depending on it. Including NI ones. So retiring it would maybe be like shooting themseleves in the foot.

But difficult to make it evolve drastically, due to all the legacy and dependancies environment.

My guess would be that if they make anoter sampler/rompler etc, this one will be different enough from Kontakt to compliment it, and not replace it. Now, should Apple buy NI ...... :wheee:
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

I'm thinking that it will be easier for Native Instruments to bring out a new sampler, which they can base on a platform of todays market.

Having to build on a foundation that was initiated a long time ago, when computers and OS'es was quite different, is inhibiting them.

No chance. Too much effort has gone in to making a compatible platform in the form of Kontakt 1 - 5 for them to throw that away and start on a level playing field again. K6 will be here at some point.

No.

They need to produce something that moves into the hybrid instrument area, vacated by Alchemy, and only partially occupied by Halion and Mach 5.

This will have to be something new. Kontakt will continue pretty much as is in version 6, hopefully with a cleaner and retina enabled interface.

Absurd. Of course not. They've been consistently releasing huge libraries (that acoustic guitar one most recently, I think) and cooperate with big 3rd party groups like Heavyocity. They aren't just gonna up and dump on all that.

Makes far more sense to just overhaul the UI, browser, access to basic programming elements, and maintain all the previous functionality with old banks, etc.

I think we might see Kontakt 6 by the end of this year...

mholloway wrote:Absurd. Of course not. They've been consistently releasing huge libraries (that acoustic guitar one most recently, I think) and cooperate with big 3rd party groups like Heavyocity. They aren't just gonna up and dump on all that.
When they dumped Kore, they converted RetroMachines v2 to Kontakt. Meaning that even though libraries have been created for Kontakt, they can be converted.
Last edited by Numanoid on Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

V6 is coming

Numanoid wrote:I'm thinking that it will be easier for Native Instruments to bring out a new sampler, which they can base on a platform of todays market.
Feel free to think that. it doesnt make it true, though. And I suspect their programmers might be better at evaluating what's 'easier' to do than you.
Having to build on a foundation that was initiated a long time ago, when computers and OS'es was quite different, is inhibiting them.
There's zero evidence that its inhibiting them. There's even the possibility that their 'foundation' has been adapted appropriately; how would you know one way or the other?
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Two words: hell no.
lnikj wrote:They need to produce something that moves into the hybrid instrument area, vacated by Alchemy, and only partially occupied by Halion and Mach 5.

Well, Reaktor can do pretty much all of that. So...

how would you know one way or the other?
Exactly, I would know exactly as little as yourself.

Well, in this case, whyte is closer to the bullseye than you. It makes absolutely zero sense to start from scratch for NI.

EvilDragon wrote:
lnikj wrote:They need to produce something that moves into the hybrid instrument area, vacated by Alchemy, and only partially occupied by Halion and Mach 5.
Well, Reaktor can do pretty much all of that. So...
Reaktor does all that and more, but not in an approachable manner for 99% of people. It also needs a UI update, and the sample map is beyond painful.

Kontakt is here to stay.

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”