Marcato Up And Down Effect (Audiomachine example) How to...? Strings Libraries

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Any Idea of how to get the sound of the strings at the beginning of the song? I'm not talking about the notes. I'm talking about the technique. It sounds to me like Marcato up and down but maybe I'm wrong and it's another technique. I have Cinematic Strings 2 by the way. Thank you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ub0SJpFDko8

I guess notes and velocity are most important here, up & down bowing will just be a nuance, not really neccessary. Also I think it's more of a staccato than marcato.

I've tried different velocity but it doesn't sound like the example. It sounds like the same note twice just with lower volume the second one and that is not the effect I want.

does your library have velocity layers and round robin?

In case you may not be aware EpicDude, a common technique when using sample libraries is to utilize multiple instances and each instrument will only play one note of the chord. What I am hearing in your example is chord arps with each note of the chord played by a separate instrument.

While this technique will eat up RAM, it gives you much more versatility and control.

Kontakt is capable of loading up to 64 parts per instance. Once loaded, purge the instrument (part) to minimize the RAM hit.

The next problem will be the samples themselves. I own Cinematic Strings 2 as well and do not find it desirable for the playing technique in your example, except when using multiple instruments within Kontakt. It will suffice but there are better libraries (this is not to say CS2 is not good - I love this instrument!)

If for example I need to do chord arps, I may load 3 cellos, each playing a single note of the chord. Additionally, I may load 3 articulations within those instruments - one staccato, one marcato and one runs (the latter is really good at playing this type of arp).

It takes a lot of programming skills to be able to play like your example. You must learn your instruments and understand their capabilities.

The use of MIDI CC and other controls (like velocity) is also important. If all instruments are hitting at, say 100 velocity, it is not realistic. Varying velocities will enchance the performance, as will CC11 (expression).

It takes a lot of work to get it right :tu:

HTH

Cheers!
dsan
My DAW System:
W7, i5, x64, 8Gb Ram, Edirol FA-101

ZentralmassivSound wrote:does your library have velocity layers and round robin?
Yes

dsan@mail.com wrote:In case you may not be aware EpicDude, a common technique when using sample libraries is to utilize multiple instances and each instrument will only play one note of the chord. What I am hearing in your example is chord arps with each note of the chord played by a separate instrument.

While this technique will eat up RAM, it gives you much more versatility and control.

Kontakt is capable of loading up to 64 parts per instance. Once loaded, purge the instrument (part) to minimize the RAM hit.

The next problem will be the samples themselves. I own Cinematic Strings 2 as well and do not find it desirable for the playing technique in your example, except when using multiple instruments within Kontakt. It will suffice but there are better libraries (this is not to say CS2 is not good - I love this instrument!)

If for example I need to do chord arps, I may load 3 cellos, each playing a single note of the chord. Additionally, I may load 3 articulations within those instruments - one staccato, one marcato and one runs (the latter is really good at playing this type of arp).

It takes a lot of programming skills to be able to play like your example. You must learn your instruments and understand their capabilities.

The use of MIDI CC and other controls (like velocity) is also important. If all instruments are hitting at, say 100 velocity, it is not realistic. Varying velocities will enchance the performance, as will CC11 (expression).

It takes a lot of work to get it right :tu:

HTH

Cheers!
dsan
Thank you!

I clicked this together using Albion and I am pretty close just using one articulation (may I post it here? Strictly speaking one is not allowed to publish "remakes", right?)

ZentralmassivSound wrote:I clicked this together using Albion and I am pretty close just using one articulation (may I post it here? Strictly speaking one is not allowed to publish "remakes", right?)
Before we begin, DISCLAIMER: I am not a legal representative and have just a basic understanding of copyright law!

I assume you refer to copyright infingement.

As I understand this subject, in lay person's terms;
1.) If you were to post a sample of the song, presenting it as your own work, or without permission of the author, this is an infringement of copyright.

2.) OTOH, if you were to create your own work based upon a pattern of music you like, then you have created an original work and that copyright belongs to you.

Notes, chords, progressions, etc., cannot hold a copyright. An original work of art in musical form, derived from the aforementioned, does.

I believe your work in this will satisfy postion #2, in that you have created an original work of art in musical form; however, there is a lot of grey area in these matters. These have been ongoing conversations for as long as I can remember.

Personally I would love to hear your accomplishment but feel it prudent to mention you may want to be cautious.

Perhaps a MOD or some other more knowledgable will add to this.

Cheers!
dsan
My DAW System:
W7, i5, x64, 8Gb Ram, Edirol FA-101

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”