How popular is the rex format? (RMX)

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I don't use Spectrasonics Stylus RMX. I see the option for rex when i'm buying new sample packs and i was wondering how many people now days use it. Is it really worth it in comparison with the standard wav?

kaviar00 wrote:I don't use Spectrasonics Stylus RMX. I see the option for rex when i'm buying new sample packs and i was wondering how many people now days use it. Is it really worth it in comparison with the standard wav?
I may be a dinosaur, but I love the REX format. And I don't even own Stylus.

REX loops are compatible with most major DAWs and samplers. If you're looking to quickly sync tempo with your loops, then I go for REX format.

-B
Berfab
So many plugins, so little time...

BERFAB wrote:If you're looking to quickly syncs tempo with your loops, then I go for REX format.-B
But if i drag and drop a sample inside Ableton it automatically sync it with the host tempo. Or maybe i understand it differently?
BERFAB wrote:I may be a dinosaur,
If you say it this way, i guess i'm right that rex is not so popular nowadays. But anyway, whatever works best with anyone.

In Ableton, there are some advantages to using WAV over REX as you have more flexibility with warping on the audio track. However, if you want the slice points to be set up in advance for Slice to MIDI rather than relying on Live's transient detection, REX has that built in.

Nine times out of ten though, I'd opt for WAV in Live as it's easy to edit the slices in Simpler/Sampler when stuff has been sliced to MIDI (but I do use Stylus RMX, and so will generally favour having REX for percussion loops or both REX and WAV).

The REX format is proprietary and owned by Propellerheads. The WAV and AIFF formats are not encumbered by any legal restrictions like REX. As far as I know the only tool available that allows you to create REX files is ReCycle.

I'd recommend avoiding REX if you can to prevent locking yourself into the format. I can do so much more with a standard wav than REX files, and I even own a copy of ReCycle...
Feel free to call me Brian.

REX2 is still totally valid in this day and age. I own Stylus RMX and the REX2 standard is the best invention since the wheel. Recycle is also one of the most important softwares that you can own. Thank God also for the SAGE converter that allows you to make your own RMX files. Stylus is incredible. These are all indispensable tools for using audio loops.

.-.
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
Alienware i7 R3 loaded with billions of DAWS and plugins.

For audio warping I use wav files.
For playing / rearranging slices I use the rx2 files.

I am not sure what is special about "Stylus RMX Rex files" other than some organisation into (2 levels of?) folders:
Sonic Reality wrote:Every loop in the Rex Pak series was organized in a special folder set up to comply with Stylus RMX’s drag and drop import capability for reading REX2 files.
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

Heh heh - you've got a wide range of comments to consider. ;)
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

DarkStar wrote:I am not sure what is special about "Stylus RMX Rex files" other than some organisation into (2 levels of?) folders:
Sonic Reality wrote:Every loop in the Rex Pak series was organized in a special folder set up to comply with Stylus RMX’s drag and drop import capability for reading REX2 files.
That's about it, but it saves the bother of running ordinary REX files through SAGE Converter yourself, particularly if there are a lot of files to process. The converter has a limit on the number of files it can process in one hit and Stylus is a bit fussy about the file hierarchy.

Sorry for the necropost,

Are there any methods of batch conversion of .rmx files (for Stylus RMX) - into .rx2 format (for Reason 11 Dr. Octorex)?

BERFAB wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:27 pm I may be a dinosaur...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Any "fake news" ?

Saw wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:25 am Sorry for the necropost,

Are there any methods of batch conversion of .rmx files (for Stylus RMX) - into .rx2 format (for Reason 11 Dr. Octorex)?
There's none that I know of. It's probably possible but anyone trying to do it is hobbled by the fact that Propellerhead/Reason Studios has never documented the RX2 format itself or licensed an engine that converts anything into RX2, only engines that play it back. Plus, there's limited demand. With the possible exception of the Angular library, if you've got RMX loops you've got Stylus and there are way more loops in existence that are available in RX2 than just in RMX.

Your only realistic option is to audition loops you really want, record them and import into Recycle, where you will have to redo the slice points.

10 years ago REX files were still relevant, but not anymore.

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”