What are you looking for in sample packs?

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi Guys,

I'm getting interested in putting together sample packs for all kind of genres. I know there are a lot of those out there already but I'd like to bring more, which is why I thought I'd get in touch with producers like you guys to find out what sample packs lack as of today, what do they miss? What would you like to get your hands on when purchasing one of those?

Hopefully I can provide you with things you really need instead of an extra pile of kicks or hi hats!

Bulgarian Goat Trance samples please. :tu:

My wallet and my keys.

I'll know it when I see it. It's got to be something unique though.

I am not interested in yet another piano sample library.
I am not interested in yet another sample library of vintage analog instruments.
I am not interested in yet another sample library of modern, not exactly difficult to find VST plugins.
I am not interested in yet another sample library of vintage drum machines processed with tape or a 12-bit sampler or whatever.
I am not interested in yet another sample library of circuit-bent 80s toy electronics.

I am not interested in a 35GB sample library recorded with 18 velocity layers and 15 round robin samples and 8 mic placements and so on. I want all my samples, software, games etc. to fit on my 1 TB SSD :)

I am interested in samples of unusual, rarely sampled instruments.
I am interested in unusual percussion, put together in sets that work well together (preferably in Maschine format), but there are a lot of those so it would have to be truly unique.
I am interested in ambiences, especially of spaces that I can't easily go to and do field recordings myself.
I am interested in sample libraries of weird electronics and devices and very unusual instruments.

And I'd be interested in a properly done taiko sample library, recorded with the guidance/consultation of someone actually experienced in ensemble and solo taiko, who knows (A) how expressive and varied solo taiko can be and (B) who knows what a reasonably complete and authentic ensemble taiko sample library needs. Not just "big drum go boom epic soundtrack whooooo." Something where each Kontakt instrument or Maschine kit or whatever is recorded from one drum, with its variety of methods of playing it, all samples of which are recorded in the same space with the same mic placement and relative levels just as they are on the actual instrument.

Nobody has gotten this right yet, so that would be unique. :P

Something that saves me time... Quality. I'm sick to death of crap/mediocre quality samples. Then spending ages trying to 'beef it up' using a multitude of plugins.

Not interested in gigs upon gigs of the same sample tweaked only slightly.

Interested in big sounding textures which I can manipulate into something cool.

Not interested in synth bass or little basslines (who actually uses stuff like that anyway?). I prefer to create my own.

Not interested in 'fluff' material that is not really usable, and is just added to the pack to give the impression it has more. I'd rather it was stripped back.

Not interested in ANY glitch hop packs. Especially those horrible tubby snare sounds which sound awful (imho).

Very interested in samples that have been run through high quality external hardware (like Goldbaby).

I'd like some kind of semi-decent naming convention.

Slightly cynical I know - But you did ask. :) :tu:
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

foosnark wrote:I am interested in unusual percussion, put together in sets that work well together (preferably in Maschine format), but there are a lot of those so it would have to be truly unique.

And I'd be interested in a properly done taiko sample library, recorded with the guidance/consultation of someone actually experienced in ensemble and solo taiko, who knows (A) how expressive and varied solo taiko can be and (B) who knows what a reasonably complete and authentic ensemble taiko sample library needs. Not just "big drum go boom epic soundtrack whooooo." Something where each Kontakt instrument or Maschine kit or whatever is recorded from one drum, with its variety of methods of playing it, all samples of which are recorded in the same space with the same mic placement and relative levels just as they are on the actual instrument.
Something like these two for me - unusual percussion played by somebody who knows how it's really supposed to be played. Not taikos specifically, though. Latin jazz/pop percussion would be more interesting to me, but not only that. Volko's darbuka-nut is a very nice example of this kind of thing done right. It's one simple drum but it's sampled well and comes with MIDI grooves for traditional Turkish styles, rock, and dubstep.

thecontrolcentre wrote:Bulgarian Goat Trance samples please. :tu:
+1 and an extra pile of kicks and hi hats :tu:
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

I prefer scripted Kontakt instruments that have multi-samples with velocity switching where appropriate/needed and not just one note sampled and stretched or even one note per octave sampled and stretched. The scripting does not have to be fancy. Having a good instrument to play is preferred.

I guess that means I am not normally a loops person.

Edit - As far as instrument types go I am interested in both melodic and percussive instruments, including melodic-percussive (e.g. marimba or tuned glass bowls). I like original and traditional sampled instruments as well as synthetic sounds. I prefer the base sounds to be free from reverb or other time-based effects, but processing by other things like tube or tape saturation may be interesting.

Speaking of effects, I do not consider adding lots of effects into a Kontakt instrument to be a major selling point. I prefer to use my own effect plugins for that (or even outboard modular synth or whatever).
------------------------------------------
Gribs

top10samples wrote:to find out what sample packs lack as of today, what do they miss? What would you like to get your hands on when purchasing one of those?
Multi sampled Kontakt libs of legendary synths like Con Brio ADS 200 (rumour is that two has been made)
http://www.vintagesynth.com/misc/conbrioads200.php

Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

foosnark wrote:I'll know it when I see it. It's got to be something unique though.

I am not interested in yet another piano sample library.
I am not interested in yet another sample library of vintage analog instruments.
I am not interested in yet another sample library of modern, not exactly difficult to find VST plugins.
I am not interested in yet another sample library of vintage drum machines processed with tape or a 12-bit sampler or whatever.
I am not interested in yet another sample library of circuit-bent 80s toy electronics.

I am not interested in a 35GB sample library recorded with 18 velocity layers and 15 round robin samples and 8 mic placements and so on. I want all my samples, software, games etc. to fit on my 1 TB SSD :)

I am interested in samples of unusual, rarely sampled instruments.
I am interested in unusual percussion, put together in sets that work well together (preferably in Maschine format), but there are a lot of those so it would have to be truly unique.
I am interested in ambiences, especially of spaces that I can't easily go to and do field recordings myself.
I am interested in sample libraries of weird electronics and devices and very unusual instruments.

Nobody has gotten this right yet, so that would be unique. :P
just saw this thread and was about to say the exact same thing as foosnark. seems like pretty much everything has been sampled already, so now i'm looking for:

icing on the sonic cake and things I haven't even imagined yet. sounds that help set a mood (not another horror movie sample pack though).

small inexpensive sample packs of very specific instruments are great as well. I'm happy to buy a one trick pony if it's interesting and the price is right. I doubt I will ever buy another huge sample collection again. the math doesn't work out for me if i only like half the sounds, and get stuck with the rest.

good luck in your venture.
macbook pro 2.88 GHz Intel Core Duo, 10 gigs ram, 750GB HD, Logic Studio 9
my blog and some music:
http://rabbitearsmotel.wordpress.com/

I have never found a set of fiddle style violin samples. You know, like bluegrass, country western, folk, country. Looked a few years back too...

Variation would be nice. Most sample packs I come around are based around one theme. Analogue vintage drums for example. That is nice but I want variation within one sample pack. Say not only analogue vintage drums but also ethnic drums, rock drums, arabic percussion. The minor tweaks I can do myself.
Dúnedain

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”