Garritan Personal Orchestra upgrade to ver. 5

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I made a video going through a bunch of the new sounds from GPO5. Check it out here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4zvKNyG50w

If you just want to hear something short that uses the sounds, here is a short song I wrote using GPO5.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cx4HfhR-Neg

Hopefully this will be helpful to people who are looking to pick this up.

Good video, I can't disagree much with what you had to say.

I'm working on a review for BPB, for now I'll just say that the graphic for the "Retro space" reverb impulse is great.

Thanks. I can't wait for you video. Post it here when you upload it.

Does anyone know, if the ".audio"- Format files can be converted?
unfortunately the aria Player is very limited.

Chandlerhimself wrote:I made a video going through a bunch of the new sounds from GPO5. Check it out here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4zvKNyG50w
Nice review, I'm glad you picked up on some of the new choir samples not being perfected tuned down to the last fraction of a cent. We kept the tuning on some of those loose because when they become too perfect it sounds odd in a mix.

TrekStar wrote:Does anyone know, if the ".audio"- Format files can be converted?
unfortunately the aria Player is very limited.
What features are you looking for in the ARIA Player?

Chad,

As an upgrader from GPO4 to 5 one of my wish for improvements would be far greater consistency between the legacy instruments GUI controls and those of the new instruments? For example we get ADSR controls with the new SAM brass but not the old, we get stereo stage with the old but not the new. What would be sensible IMHO, is to have the same range of controls (where applicable to the sample type in question) right across the whole library.

I've done some work myself on "toggle_mute.xml" and "brass_legato.xml", as can be seen in a recent post on Northern Sounds.
The SFZ file(s) concerned are in the process of being altered.

Just wondering, how "legal" are my modifications? I don't intend selling them.

Some while back I posted a fault in the loop of the low B and C of the oboe d'amore within GPO4. I also sent a fix to the desk as well as publishing on the NS forum and, I think, to the MM Garritan forum, as I recall.
That incorrect loop has been carried forward into GPO5. Any chance you can fix this?

I'd be delighted to send you (when I've completed the XML) a vision I have as to what an improved ARIA controls GUI might look like.

Kind regards,
John.

SysExJohn wrote:Chad,

As an upgrader from GPO4 to 5 one of my wish for improvements would be far greater consistency between the legacy instruments GUI controls and those of the new instruments? For example we get ADSR controls with the new SAM brass but not the old, we get stereo stage with the old but not the new. What would be sensible IMHO, is to have the same range of controls (where applicable to the sample type in question) right across the whole library.
We've been updating the instruments based on requests and feedback. We never imagined everyone requesting the ADSR controls be added to all of the instruments, even the piano. I'd like to update all of the controls with a future update. Tom Hopkins the lead programmer for GPO always stayed away from providing ADSR controls, he didn't want the ability to take the instruments out of realistic amplitude shapes.
I've done some work myself on "toggle_mute.xml" and "brass_legato.xml", as can be seen in a recent post on Northern Sounds.
The SFZ file(s) concerned are in the process of being altered.

Just wondering, how "legal" are my modifications? I don't intend selling them.
That's the best part of using the .sfz format in my opinion. The instruments are open to edits and large modifications if you desire. Always make a backup of your custom edits before installing any patches updates to make sure they don't get overwritten.
Some while back I posted a fault in the loop of the low B and C of the oboe d'amore within GPO4. I also sent a fix to the desk as well as publishing on the NS forum and, I think, to the MM Garritan forum, as I recall.
That incorrect loop has been carried forward into GPO5. Any chance you can fix this?
I'll take a look, we can fix this so that it will be in the next patch/update.

FWIW right now the GPO5.01 update is live on the Garritan website. I believe a PR with release notes is also coming. But you should grab the latest download, we've got quite a bunch of updates and tweaks in there for the new Brass and Strings.

Chad@PA wrote:We've been updating the instruments based on requests and feedback. We never imagined everyone requesting the ADSR controls be added to all of the instruments, even the piano. I'd like to update all of the controls with a future update. Tom Hopkins the lead programmer for GPO always stayed away from providing ADSR controls, he didn't want the ability to take the instruments out of realistic amplitude shapes.
I once asked the developer of a drum library if anybody else had asked for the ability to turn off round robins or if I was the only one. It turns out I was the only one, haha.

Thanks Chad,
Chad@PA wrote: We've been updating the instruments based on requests and feedback. We never imagined everyone requesting the ADSR controls be added to all of the instruments, even the piano. I'd like to update all of the controls with a future update. Tom Hopkins the lead programmer for GPO always stayed away from providing ADSR controls, he didn't want the ability to take the instruments out of realistic amplitude shapes.
I wonder why they got added to GPO5 then? What was the decision behind that?
That's the best part of using the .sfz format in my opinion. The instruments are open to edits and large modifications if you desire. Always make a backup of your custom edits before installing any patches updates to make sure they don't get overwritten.
Yup, always careful to make sure I can backtrack. (I've been programming since 1967. No, not a typo!)
I'll take a look, we can fix this so that it will be in the next patch/update.
Nice one. ;-) Much appreciated.
FWIW right now the GPO5.01 update is live on the Garritan website. I believe a PR with release notes is also coming. But you should grab the latest download, we've got quite a bunch of updates and tweaks in there for the new Brass and Strings.
Had a look but can't find it yet. Maybe it takes a few days to propagate to the UK? BG.

Where will I find that update? There's been rumours too of an ARIA player update to 1.872 that people are wingeing about. Or is it just an engine update?

Many thanks again,
Regards,
John.

SysExJohn wrote:Thanks Chad,
Chad@PA wrote: We've been updating the instruments based on requests and feedback. We never imagined everyone requesting the ADSR controls be added to all of the instruments, even the piano. I'd like to update all of the controls with a future update. Tom Hopkins the lead programmer for GPO always stayed away from providing ADSR controls, he didn't want the ability to take the instruments out of realistic amplitude shapes.
I wonder why they got added to GPO5 then? What was the decision behind that?
The success of Instant Orchestra with those controls. I like to implement changes in steps to allow the library to be shaped by users. We wanted to spend more time on the new instruments for the 5.0 release, now we can add more instruments and features in point updates.
Had a look but can't find it yet. Maybe it takes a few days to propagate to the UK? BG.

Where will I find that update? There's been rumours too of an ARIA player update to 1.872 that people are wingeing about. Or is it just an engine update?
The update is live and should be the same worldwide. I'll ask if the file name is the same, hopefully it will display as 5.01. The updated installers include ARIA Player 1.872.

Chad@PA wrote: The update is live and should be the same worldwide. I'll ask if the file name is the same, hopefully it will display as 5.01. The updated installers include ARIA Player 1.872.
I just heard back, the file name in your account is the same, but it will be the GPO 5.01 update.

Thanks Chad, much appreciated :tu:

Thanks Chad.

Interesting!
I had just done a re-download of the GPO5 install file to put on my backup disk.
So now I will attempt re-installation.
It's a pity they didn't re-label it. Never mind.

May I disseminate this, assuming it works okay, to the NS and the Garritan fora?

Thanks again.
John.

Can confirm that within the zip file is 5.01 installer and ARIA 1.872 player and engine are installed.

Guys, am I correct that there is no update download? In other words, I need to re-download the entire 4.32 gig file?

Sequent,

Yes, sadly that seems to be the case and, to make matters worse, the entire load sequence goes through as before unpacking the 'data' files, checking for integrity, then expanding to the correct format. So, as before, not a little time is consumed upgrading.

What I've been unable to establish, perhaps Chad can tell us, is whether the samples themselves have changed at all, or whether it's just the sfz and xml files and updated ARIA player.

It seems crazy to consume all that bandwidth and to spend so much time just for the small dot exe install file.
I hope they will consider just putting an installer for the new stuff.

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”