Can Falcon embed samples like Nerve / Renoise?

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I am GASing hard for Falcon – it looks like the exact plugin instrument I've wanted for years...

Any way, I have a question about sample import: can it "embed" samples right in the patch, the same way that Nerve or Renoise does? Meaning that when you save the patch and/or DAW session, it embeds the sample right in there, instead of simply referencing a location on disk? So you can move the samples around - even delete them from disk – and the sample-based patch still works?

My guess is no... and that it references the sample on disk the same as Kontakt does. But I figure it's worth asking :)

Nope.

(BTW, Kontakt can do that - when saving the instrument, you have an option to save as patch only, patch+samples, or monolith - which is the "embed" option.)
Last edited by EvilDragon on Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thanks

Falcon can save programs with samples.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/uvi/UVIFC/falcon_manual.pdf
Windows 7, Cubase 9.5 and some extra plug-ins | Takamine EN-10C and PRS Mira

ErikH wrote:Falcon can save programs with samples.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/uvi/UVIFC/falcon_manual.pdf
But NOT embedded, I'm afraid. It's what in some programs is called as "consolidated", where a new folder is created and all samples collected into that folder together with the program.
Last edited by fmr on Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fernando (FMR)

No, that's not embedded, fmr. Embedded means one file with all the samples packed into it, and also containing all patch information (groups, zones, loops, etc.).

EvilDragon wrote:No, that's not embedded, fmr. Embedded means one file with all the samples packed into it, and also containing all patch information (groups, zones, loops, etc.).
Yes, that's what I wrote: NOT embedded. Actually, the only modern sampler I can recall that has an embedded format is Kontakt (the monolith option). Before that, you had SF2. Although it can be a waste in terms of hard-disk space, monolith formats are good when you want to redistribute sampled instruments, since you will be sure that everything will play as intended - no way thare will be samples not found or missing.
Fernando (FMR)

Diversion embeds samples in the preset file.

Sampleconstruct wrote:Diversion embeds samples in the preset file.
So does Iris.

fmr wrote:
EvilDragon wrote:No, that's not embedded, fmr. Embedded means one file with all the samples packed into it, and also containing all patch information (groups, zones, loops, etc.).
Yes, that's what I wrote: NOT embedded. Actually, the only modern sampler I can recall that has an embedded format is Kontakt (the monolith option). Before that, you had SF2. Although it can be a waste in terms of hard-disk space, monolith formats are good when you want to redistribute sampled instruments, since you will be sure that everything will play as intended - no way thare will be samples not found or missing.
My apologies. After rereading your post once again I got what you wanted to say. :)

Sampleconstruct wrote:
So does Iris.
Neither Diversion nor Iris can be really considered as samplers, right? :)

IMO, to be considered a sampler, an instrument has, at least, to be able to map several samples across the keyboard (that's the very basic requirement). I know that some people will argue that to be a sampler it should sample, but I'm not as extremist. :)
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote:
Sampleconstruct wrote:
So does Iris.
Neither Diversion nor Iris can be really considered as samplers, right? :)

IMO, to be considered a sampler, an instrument has, at least, to be able to map several samples across the keyboard (that's the very basic requirement). I know that some people will argue that to be a sampler it should sample, but I'm not as extremist. :)
Well Iris can map up to 4 samples, so at least that qualifies for your definition, and in Diversion you can use key follow -> volume to at least crossfade/pseudo-split 4 samples - I was just adding some examples for embedded samples, not trying to argue with anyone here.

EvilDragon wrote:Nope.

(BTW, Kontakt can do that - when saving the instrument, you have an option to save as patch only, patch+samples, or monolith - which is the "embed" option.)
For Kontakt, it will depend on the script. If it's a script with its custom GUI (knobs and sliders), I don't think it's possible to create a monolith file, isn't it?

If you mean by using the resources/NKR, then yes - NKR path gets stored in the monolith as an absolute path, so it won't work on other computers than your own...

EvilDragon wrote:If you mean by using the resources/NKR, then yes - NKR path gets stored in the monolith as an absolute path, so it won't work on other computers than your own...
What else would you like to tell us about Kontakt *cough* 6 *cough*

:wink:

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”