Soundfont Player With A File Explorer

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I am basically looking for a free VST soundfont player that has a file explorer as well as a soundfont bank list as well (a fully visible bank list, not a pulldown list)

The only one I have found that comes close is a VST by Phenome called Prodyon (which is no longer being updated).
This one is quite great, it has many features including the two viewers above that I am looking for but unfortunately there are a couple of issues I run into with them. Before stating what these issues are, I absolutely appreciate the work put into any free software, I am in no way trying to be insulting, I am just using this VST as an example to explain what I am looking for.

Issues
All these issues have to do with the file explorer and bank list below located to the right of this VST.
1.) Both lists windows are rather narrow so most of my filenames / bank names get cut off. It would be nice to be able to stretch width of these lists or at least have them be wider (due to the fact that this is a VST I realize this would be tricky because most VST are not resizable).

2.) The file explorer list doesn't follow certain filename order rules, for example if you put an _underscore in front of your file they do not end up at the top

3.) The programmer did a good job when coming up with how to navigate through your files and folders, but sometimes the navigation can get a little bit confusing. For example having a "back" button instead of having to scroll up to the top to use the "..\"

4.) Not sure what the number amount is but there is a limitation on how many files it will show in the file explorer. Meaning if you have a folder that has say 100 soundfonts, I believe it will only show a max of 50.

Basically I am looking for something similar to Prodyon (I don't need the ability to load multiple soundfonts in one session like Prodyon does), but with the changes mentioned above.

Also, I am aware that much of this is nitpicking, just the fact that the creator of Prodyon even put these lists in a VST is amazing, I have never seen any others even attempt this, it is a shame that Prodyon is no longer being updated.

If anyone knows of any other VST soundfont players similar to Prodyon please let me know.
Seems highly doubtful to ever see any new soundfont players being created, I don't recall seeing any new ones in a while. Seems that most have moved on, accusing soundfonts of not sounding real enough, but soundfonts are still real to me dammit!

Thank You to anyone who reads this and for any information shared.

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”