Kontakt is crap!!!!!!

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

VariKusBrainZ wrote:And rabbits eat their own crap so its all relative, business as usual at KVR.

Move along, another pointless thread
Actually the point was to find alternatives (as indicated in the last sentence). So pointless? I think not, from the replies Ive learned (so far) there's nothing out there that's much better, except Falcon but that's not really a sampler.

It seems the features and workflow Im after are only found in audio editing DAWs like Logic, Reason and especially Bitwig, not samplers. I dont use these. Clearly there's a market for a decent sampler that can do what these DAWs can in real time, that doesn't have a shitty, confined space to work in.
Last edited by Kinh on Sat May 07, 2016 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Beat Maker 3 will be for OSX (at least Intua said that). It's still under development.
BeatMaker 2 is iOS only but it's an impressive tool. And it is a "real" sampler!
Best "sampler" ever is Samplr. But also iPad only.
It's the pure fun ;
:)

Bhan wrote:Too bad development for Independence died. That was the one and only hope for a competitor for Kontakt. I can't bring myself to purchase Kontakt.
What's wrong with the others?
Eg Falcon
Amazon: why not use an alternative

I still miss VSampler. But I would like Kontakt much more if there were just two improvements---a better way of working with groups (so we could see what envelopes and effects were applied to which groups without scrolling up and down), and an easier way of creating custom interfaces.

Jake Jackson wrote:and an easier way of creating custom interfaces.
Totally agree! Creating an interface is painfully slow and time consuming, it's also very limited compared to what's possible in other software (not necessarily samplers though, but more indie projects like SE & SM).

I don't think I have ever heard Kontakt referred to as "crap". Hundreds of developers and thousands of users seem to infer otherwise.

Cinebient wrote:Beat Maker 3 will be for OSX (at least Intua said that). It's still under development.
BeatMaker 2 is iOS only but it's an impressive tool. And it is a "real" sampler!
It's the pure fun ;
One reason that they should make Kontakt 6 multi-touch ready and add Samplr like capability.
I already have a 23" 10-touch monitor and am waiting for more Windows software to be touch ready.

Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

I SERIOUSLY miss using VemberAudio's Shortcircuit sampler. Which to me was the pinnacle of samplers (In their words it was designed to be an instrument rather than a library playback engine)

http://www.vemberaudio.se/shortcircuit.php

Its free and totally brilliant. So quick and intuitive to use.
I used it for years, until I decided to move to 64bit and have been sad ever since.

Someone make something like it please!!!
Hypnagog (Experimental Electronica) |
Terrafractyl (Psytrance) |Kinematic Records (Label)

Kalamata Kid wrote:
Cinebient wrote:Beat Maker 3 will be for OSX (at least Intua said that). It's still under development.
It's the pure fun ;
One reason that they should make Kontakt 6 multi-touch ready and add Samplr like capability.
I already have a 23" 10-touch monitor and am waiting for more Windows software to be touch ready.
Yes, but i doubt this will happen. As much as i hate the iOS limits, for multi-touch it's much better than everything else. Developers are forced to optimize for multi-touch, windows 10 is a half baked mix and merging mouse and multi-touch doesn't work really good because developers won't optimize their software really for touch. I think Apple does it right by not making a touch OSX.
I mean even a Moog Modul 15 is an iOS exclusive these days. If i would get a proper reverb and better supported sampler or hybrid like Kontakt and/or Falcon on iOS i would ditch my complete desktop stuff in a heartbeat. They might be powerful but things like Kontakt looks terrible and the workflow is "crap" and it seems to be stuck to "old" and boring kind of inputs. Hello future?!?
Beside huge orchestrial or film scoring projects, desktops are an old thing in a few years maybe.
Virsyn synths looks better on a tablet while the desktop UI is so ugly like dos (but it's retro). Not sure why it takes years in the desktop world to reach the present where we have high def. screens etc.
So maybe NI should release a tablet version of Kontakt...the problem is they could just take about 50€ for it :P
But i would have an eye on the mobile market for the future....

Cinebient wrote:
Kalamata Kid wrote:
It's the pure fun ;
Yes, but i doubt this will happen. As much as i hate the iOS limits, for multi-touch it's much better than everything else. Developers are forced to optimize for multi-touch, windows 10 is a half baked mix and merging mouse and multi-touch doesn't work really good because developers won't optimize their software really for touch. I think Apple does it right by not making a touch OSX.
I mean even a Moog Modul 15 is an iOS exclusive these days. If i would get a proper reverb and better supported sampler or hybrid like Kontakt and/or Falcon on iOS i would ditch my complete desktop stuff in a heartbeat. They might be powerful but things like Kontakt looks terrible and the workflow is "crap" and it seems to be stuck to "old" and boring kind of inputs. Hello future?!?
Beside huge orchestrial or film scoring projects, desktops are an old thing in a few years maybe.
Virsyn synths looks better on a tablet while the desktop UI is so ugly like dos (but it's retro). Not sure why it takes years in the desktop world to reach the present where we have high def. screens etc.
So maybe NI should release a tablet version of Kontakt...the problem is they could just take about 50€ for it :P
XotoPad
http://feelyoursound.com/xotopad/
works great on my 23" Viewsonic multitouch monitor
I also have the iPad Air which also works great.
I prefer the Viewsonic primarily because the large surface
area.

Sad that little new mutitouch is being developed.
So there is some interest in multitouch but not enough
it seems for Windows app developers to invest in it
in big numbers.

BTW Software made with Juce is multitouch capable.
Keep in mind the mutlittouch allows you to control 10
items simultaneously whereas the mouse only allows a single
touch. I like to experiment so my setup is ideal and would be
more ideal if more developers jumped on the small mutltitouch
bandwagon.

Kalamata Kid wrote:
Cinebient wrote:
Kalamata Kid wrote:
It's the pure fun ;
XotoPad
http://feelyoursound.com/xotopad/
works great on my 23" Viewsonic multitouch monitor
I also have the iPad Air which also works great.
I prefer the Viewsonic primarily because the large surface
area.

Sad that little new mutitouch is being developed.
So there is some interest in multitouch but not enough
it seems for Windows app developers to invest in it
in big numbers.

BTW Software made with Juce is multitouch capable.
Keep in mind the mutlittouch allows you to control 10
items simultaneously whereas the mouse only allows a single
touch. I like to experiment so my setup is ideal and would be
more ideal if more developers jumped on the small mutltitouch
bandwagon.
I was interested in a windows 10 multi-touch device but developers are not yet.
I would rather buy me an iPad Pro (i had an iPad Air for a while). But i wait for 3D touch on iPads which works polyphonic on my iPhone too.
It even works better as on my Seaboard Rise :hihi:
But what was the topic? Sorry....
Back to Kontakt...it's not crap but it just feels dated for me, even when i'm still new to it.
But it's seems still the most supported thing from third party developers.

thejonsolo wrote:I don't think I have ever heard Kontakt referred to as "crap". Hundreds of developers and thousands of users seem to infer otherwise.
This.

I don't go very deep on programming. I'm a tweaker at best. But the amazing instruments that 3rd party devs have come up with for Kontakt speaks volumes. Doubtful they could create these masterpieces on a crap piece of kit.
Berfab
So many plugins, so little time...

thejonsolo wrote:I don't think I have ever heard Kontakt referred to as "crap". Hundreds of developers and thousands of users seem to infer otherwise.
Hundreds of developers and thousands of users just get by because Kontakt is the most common platform for sampling and sample library playback. I'd hate to see myself being forced to program any sample set on Kontakt but thankfully we have choices in this day and age.

I don't know if Kontakt is actually crap (or "Krap" rather), but I can understand how some users feel like saying things like that.

I have no problems using kontakt with my own samples. The GUI hasn't ever bothered me, but I've been using it since version 1 and came straight from using hardware samplers which had the worst, menu based, one jog wheel using interfaces on earth. I think its architecture is pretty straightforward and on top of that, the hardcore programmers make amazing libraries for it that I use in my work regularly and the performance is great. So I would have to disagree with the OP. I would not actually like a major GUI overhaul because that would screw up my learning to fly around in the current one. If anything I would like the actual editing area to be resizable because things are small.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”