Good Sfz editor for Sforzando?

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Pytchblend wrote:Also, the end position can be moved before the end of file, using end (0 to 4Gb, or -1 meaning the sample will not play), which gives the offset from the start of the file to the last sample to play.
Modern SFZ (2.0) players don't do that with the -1 -- it's is either ignored or gets a warning/error as invalid. I only ever used end=-1 when I needed a "silence" sample without adding an extra sample. SFZ 2.0 players will likely have "sample=*silence" to do that (*silence being a built-in sound).

When I open an SF2 in Sforzando, it automatically make an SFZ. Several SF2s that I've tried do make an SFZ with a single wav, and in the SFZ file I see entries like this:

pitch_keycenter=60 tune=0 offset=660680 end=760553
loop_start=660688 loop_end=760544.

I also want to find a way to easily make mutlisamples and get the numbers for my own SFZs.

When you say "make multisamples", what do you mean? Normally a single WAV file only contains a single sample and "multi-sampling" means creating multiple WAV files. You don't need offset and end, then - and you can use appropriate tools to set loop markers which will be used automatically.

The example I'm talking about is Ethan Winer's Sleigh Bells from http://ethanwiner.com/ewsf2.html

The Sforzando conversion make a single wav file that when I open it in Audacity, I see the individual samples that are called by the Sforzando-created SFZ (example offset=660680 end=760553):

I've called this kind of wav file a multi-sample -- is that the wrong word?

I can easily make a file like this, but how do I figure out the Offset and End numbers easily?

Pytchblend, I'm not an sfz file expert, I've never created an sfz file, but just thought I'd point out something.
sfz programs usually have an sfz file and an accompanying folder of individual wavs.
When Sforzando converts sf2 to sfz it creates the long wav with all the samples in line. This is not the norm. These programs (sfz file + long wav) will not play in other sfz players.
If you want to create your own sfz program you could indeed record all your notes one after the other as one long wav, but then you'll need to slice it up.
Hope this helps in some small way.

Pytchblend wrote:I can easily make a file like this, but how do I figure out the Offset 1and End numbers easily?
It's easier not to. Make separate WAV files for each <region> you want to trigger.

Also, I don't think Audacity supports the WAV segments that are used to define things like loop markers -- though I've never tried.

The SF22SFZ Converter in Sforzando doesn't want to make lots of files unnecessarily and it can know what it's doing as it converts. The SFZ file that's generated has some ARIA-engine specific bits in but there's nothing that would prevent the result being used in other players, even in the old rgc:audio sfz.dll. Lots of things would just get ignored, of course...

Nice bassoon on that site, by the way.
Last edited by pljones on Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pytchblend wrote:When I open an SF2 in Sforzando, it automatically make an SFZ. Several SF2s that I've tried do make an SFZ with a single wav, and in the SFZ file I see entries like this:

pitch_keycenter=60 tune=0 offset=660680 end=760553
loop_start=660688 loop_end=760544.

I also want to find a way to easily make mutlisamples and get the numbers for my own SFZs.
TAL Sampler can create SFZ files, and is very easy and intuitive to use: https://tal-software.com/products/tal-sampler
But the easiest way to make them is perhaps Awave Studio: http://www.fmjsoft.com/awavestudio.html#main
Fernando (FMR)

pljones wrote:
Pytchblend wrote:...

The SF22SFZ Converter in Sforzando doesn't want to make lots of files unnecessarily and it can know what it's doing as it converts. The SFZ file that's generated has some ARIA-engine specific bits in but there's nothing that would prevent the result being used in other players, even in the old rgc:audio sfz.dll. Lots of things would just get ignored, of course...
I've just checked again, I'm finding that rgc:sfz player is not playing Sforzando's 'Aria converted' files.
Am I missing something?

It must have been a while back I tried it, I've not got the rgc:audio player installed any more (I'm 64bit only). I'll have a try this evening, though - I'm interested to see what's "breaking" it.

Ah right yes... sample= is now in <global> rather than repeated for each <region>. If you do a quick "replace all" on "<region>" with "<region> sample=xxxxx.wav", it works. (And the sample still only gets loaded once.)

pljones wrote:Ah right yes... sample= is now in <global> rather than repeated for each <region>. If you do a quick "replace all" on "<region>" with "<region> sample=xxxxx.wav", it works. (And the sample still only gets loaded once.)
Ok, that's interesting, thanks.

Actually, there's only one "<group>" header in the Bassoon file -- in that case, just adding the sample= opcode there does the trick. No need for one per <region>. I've not tried with more complex SoundFont files - it may always be that easy.

SampleScience wrote:I've found a new way to make fully functioning sfz files that works pretty much everywhere:

1. I map the samples in Kontakt 4 and save the patch only without the absolute path checked
2. I convert the K4 instrument to Sfz in Translator 6
3. Result: I now have a Sfz that works flawlessly in all the sfz players out there, even Zampler!

I can ad my own ADSR in a text editor after that. So far, that's the fastest way I've found to create fully functional sfz patches.
For Zampler, just delete all the global parameters(it can't use them)and place them locally(in layer parameters). This means copy and paste of things like sample used, per each layer..etc. But every SFZ will work in Zampler, you just have to change that about it. Kontakt 4 is not known for great pure samples. A few of the expensive pieces can compete with some free soundfonts, but not many. I keep Kontakt around when I want the sound of cheap recording files through filters and effects ala NI...everything has a place though..I just wouldn't waste time converting Kontakt(I did some in the past, and they met the trash once compared to some samples from the late 90's). Kontakt is good as mixing a synth with a sampler, I guess.

Found something really great(that's been out a while)that's free..in the spirit of the season, I'll just put it here. If you have the add-on convolution reverb with your player, then this is really great: http://www.productionvoices.com/estate- ... sforzando/

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”