Heavyocity sale- What to get?

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Looking at AEON Melodic/Rhythmic or Scoring Guitars for some cinematic/organic sounds.

My only concern is, how much of them is loops, versus multi-sampled instruments/sound design? Since I don't use loops, they aren't much value to me if it's even 50/50. I don't mind if much of the non-loop content is sound design or processed (they sound amazing), but it would be nice to have the raw materials (multi-sampled patches) as well.

The product page doesn't exactly provide much information and neither does the manual, about the included content. The demos sound really great, but it's somewhat hard to tell what's loops and what's not.

hahaha I came here to post the same thread topic!

I'm keen on one of the Gravity packs (Vocalise, Scoring Guitars, Natural Forces) but can't decide which. Leaning on Natural Forces, but
I haven't been able to find a proper preset run-through of it... and I'm not so sure about having hundreds of megabytes of waterfalls and storm samples.

Scoring Guitars looks really cool but full phrases/riffs worries me... I would probably stay away from them as they'll be appearing in thousands of other people's tracks.

So it's all about pads, beds, drones and all the textural stuff.

MogwaiBoy wrote:Scoring Guitars looks really cool but full phrases/riffs worries me... I would probably stay away from them as they'll be appearing in thousands of other people's tracks.
Yes, that crossed my mind.

On further inspection, the Gravity engine doesn't seem geared towards realistic multi-sampled intruments. It would still be interesting to know if the raw materials are included, like in Omnisphere, not just the manipulated content. The description mentions that they used the best gear and amps, so it feels odd, if they recorded multi-samples, that they wouldn't include them.
Obviously, this isn't a "realistic guitar-VI", like VIR's Electric, but then they seem to market it as such, referring to it as a "Guitar VI"? That would make it seem like it has different multi-sampled guitar patches/samples?

No word on this yet? :scared: Sale ends tomorrow.

AEON Melodic is mostly multisamples, though there are two Arp folders that sequence the samples (I don't think they are loops). AEON Rhythmic is the one that's more loop-focused, though I think these are again sequenced samples rather than single loops.

The content of Melodic is similar in approach to Evolve, their earlier library. You don't really have access to individual samples, though you get a fair amount of control over sound from the custom front panel. You probably could turn off all the layers and FX to try to extract the sounds but, to be honest, that's missing the point of the library. It's set up to provide quick access to useable sounds which, realistically, at times are going to sound a bit like they are used in incidental music from Law and Order Special Perps Unit – Michigan. If you are worried about that aspect of it, you maybe should look elsewhere.

Gamma-UT wrote:AEON Melodic is mostly multisamples, though there are two Arp folders that sequence the samples (I don't think they are loops). AEON Rhythmic is the one that's more loop-focused, though I think these are again sequenced samples rather than single loops.

The content of Melodic is similar in approach to Evolve, their earlier library. You don't really have access to individual samples, though you get a fair amount of control over sound from the custom front panel. You probably could turn off all the layers and FX to try to extract the sounds but, to be honest, that's missing the point of the library. It's set up to provide quick access to useable sounds which, realistically, at times are going to sound a bit like they are used in incidental music from Law and Order Special Perps Unit – Michigan. If you are worried about that aspect of it, you maybe should look elsewhere.
Okay, thanks. :tu: I'm sure I'm not getting Melodic then.
Though the reason I would like to have the original, unaltered samples/instruments, is because I prefer to have the original samples/intruments like in Omnisphere, to use as a raw starting point/flexibility.
Still not sure about Scoring Guitars. The reviews and description are confusing, because they talk about pads and pulses, which I understand are the way patches and samples are referred to in Gravity, but it's also referred to as a "cinematic Guitar VI" and a reviewer noted that it can sound like "one hired a skilled session guitarist", which indicates that it can do (non-looped) guitar-tones in addition to just pads and drones.

The sale is ending and I honestly haven't been able to decide.

If Scoring Guitars was chock full of pads, textures and soundbeds I'd probably jump in - but having gigs of distinctive, identifiable riffs and loops is pretty useless to me as a guitar player.

MogwaiBoy wrote:The sale is ending and I honestly haven't been able to decide.

If Scoring Guitars was chock full of pads, textures and soundbeds I'd probably jump in - but having gigs of distinctive, identifiable riffs and loops is pretty useless to me as a guitar player.
My feelings exactly. :(

Listening to the demos and looking at the walkthroughs has just reinforced the feeling that the library isn't really for me.

I think Vocalise could be much better for pads-textures-soundbeds. Personally I'm just not in the need for that (vocals) currently, so I'll pass on it. Also, quickly checking out the demos, they only seemed to showcase the ethnic female vocalist. Some creepy monk-vocals would've been more my cup of tea. :lol: But Omni's got some, so yeah. This is pass.

Can't say anything about Natural Forces, except that it's an interesting concept.

Would love to see a video that went through Natural Forces preset by preset so I could get a sense of all the pads/textures. My concern is that I just don't need my harddrive filled with rainforest bird tweets and waterfalls etc.

Vocalise sounds a bit.... angelic. Is there even any male voices in there? Can't expect too much I guess. Output's vocal engine is probably what I should save for.

So yeah, at the end of the day these Gravity-less packs still interest me, but I'm heistant too. Maybe they'll be on sale later this year for an even better price so we'll see.

MogwaiBoy wrote:Would love to see a video that went through Natural Forces preset by preset so I could get a sense of all the pads/textures. My concern is that I just don't need my harddrive filled with rainforest bird tweets and waterfalls etc.

Vocalise sounds a bit.... angelic. Is there even any male voices in there? Can't expect too much I guess. Output's vocal engine is probably what I should save for.

So yeah, at the end of the day these Gravity-less packs still interest me, but I'm heistant too. Maybe they'll be on sale later this year for an even better price so we'll see.
Maybe Black Friday, but feels unlikely that they'd do an even better sale, let alone this year.

You can probably treat the vocals in Vocalise with a pitch manipulator. Gravity probably has one in the FX section or you could use an external effect. I think there were male voices there, but like I said, the demos just showcase the female vocalist.

The sale ends in a couple of hours, but I'd like to point your attention at the Master Sessions sets. I swear by them - the Metals alone are a-m-a-z-i-n-g.

MrWildBunnycat wrote:The sale ends in a couple of hours, but I'd like to point your attention at the Master Sessions sets. I swear by them - the Metals alone are a-m-a-z-i-n-g.
Is it very different from APE? I might consider it for the Taikos.

Edit: Sale has ended.
Last edited by Aryaroman on Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Last edited by Vortifex on Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I have both Aeons, DM307, and Natural Forces. There is quite a bit of material there for Kontakt users. The Gravity engine behind Natural Forces is pretty versatile. My only niggle is the same as for all Kontakt libraries with relatively complex interfaces, which is that the limits of the Kontakt GUI size in pixels makes the control interface smalle.

If Gravity was on sale for something like 40% or 50% off then I would have bit. I might have also gone for Damage if it was up for sale for a similar price. I went through a period of several months where I reigned in spending completely, but I was able to budget some money for studio stuff at the end of the summer. Oh well, maybe at holiday time.
------------------------------------------
Gribs

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”