Does anyone here care about Cakewalk's SONAR?

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

If you do and you're in this Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries forum, I suggest checking out this Sonar forum thread and making your voice heard -- here or there.
http://forum.cakewalk.com/Sonar-really- ... 99083.aspx

I care about SONAR. Unfortunately, this thread's title is going to attract the all trolls and idiots who have nothing better to do. :roll:

SONAR is in no danger, folks. Just move along, or make your voice heard in the Cakewalk forum. No need to bash SONAR here just because you got tired of bashing it over the free compressor Cakewalk gave you.

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

planetearth wrote:I care about SONAR. Unfortunately, this thread's title is going to attract the all trolls and idiots who have nothing better to do. :roll:
Yup, beat me to it.

I care about Sonar, but I don't care about it having a sampler, since Kontakt has me covered in spades. So, basically, I hope the Sonar users who want a sampler get one, but it doesn't really matter to me one way or the other. My 2 cents.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

This topic title is misleading and just plain silly. I've been using Sonar since v4, and never once have I thought "if only it had a sampler". Kontakt, Battery, Geist, and others... I'm good, thanks. I probably wouldn't even care much about Simpler either, except for the great Push 2 integration. And no, Sonar doesn't need a new hardware controller either.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

planetearth wrote:I care about SONAR. Unfortunately, this thread's title is going to attract the all trolls and idiots who have nothing better to do. :roll:

SONAR is in no danger, folks. Just move along, or make your voice heard in the Cakewalk forum. No need to bash SONAR here just because you got tired of bashing it over the free compressor Cakewalk gave you.

Steve
No offense, Steve, but you really seem to assume the worst in people.

deastman wrote:This topic title is misleading and just plain silly.
If I had posted this thread in the Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.) forum, I might feel a little bit of shame.

telecharge wrote:

Steve
No offense, Steve, but you really seem to assume the worst in people.
No, just KVR trolls. :wink:

You've seen the bashing SONAR's gotten here in the past few weeks. I just wanted to head it off at the pass.

From what I read in the Cakewalk forum post, you seem to care about SONAR, and I appreciate that. Unfortunatley, others are just going to use this thread as an excuse to dump on it, presumably because whichever DAW they use (and the company behind it) is perfect. :roll:

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

telecharge wrote:
deastman wrote:This topic title is misleading and just plain silly.
If I had posted this thread in the Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.) forum, I might feel a little bit of shame.
The title is "Does anyone here care about Cakewalk's SONAR?". The actual topic is about someone requesting a sampler. Yes, I care about Sonar. No, I don't need yet another sampler. One has nothing to do with the other.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

deastman wrote: The title is "Does anyone here care about Cakewalk's SONAR?". The actual topic is about someone requesting a sampler. Yes, I care about Sonar. No, I don't need yet another sampler. One has nothing to do with the other.
I beg to differ. If one is a Sonar customer and finds it lacking in sampling capabilities, they should care. The "actual topic," or the OP, is about Sonar having a basic, integrated sampler that works well.

telecharge wrote:
deastman wrote: The title is "Does anyone here care about Cakewalk's SONAR?". The actual topic is about someone requesting a sampler. Yes, I care about Sonar. No, I don't need yet another sampler. One has nothing to do with the other.
I beg to differ. If one is a Sonar customer and finds it lacking in sampling capabilities, they should care.
Why should we care, exactly? I find most DAWs 'lacking in sampling capabilities'... because they're DAWs, not samplers. Do I care that any of them, including Sonar, lack in 'sampling capabilities'? No, because they dont lack in recording capabilities, and, I already own more than a few instruments of my own choosing that are capable of playing back samples. And I dont actually want programmer resources that could go into DAW functionality and support to be wasted on yet another bundled cut-down plugin I dont need.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

whyterabbyt wrote:And I dont actually want programmer resources that could go into DAW functionality and support to be wasted on yet another bundled cut-down plugin I dont need.
That's a fair point, but Cakewalk would be far more likely to partner with an existing software developer to create or bundle a sampler plugin with Sonar.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

whyterabbyt wrote:
telecharge wrote:
I beg to differ. If one is a Sonar customer and finds it lacking in sampling capabilities, they should care.
Why should we care, exactly? I find most DAWs 'lacking in sampling capabilities'... because they're DAWs, not samplers. Do I care that any of them, including Sonar, lack in 'sampling capabilities'? No, because they dont lack in recording capabilities, and, I already own more than a few instruments of my own choosing that are capable of playing back samples. And I dont actually want programmer resources that could go into DAW functionality and support to be wasted on yet another bundled cut-down plugin I dont need.
Spot on post really. I'm not a big fan of bloating the DAW with stuff, which is cut down compared to specialized stuff anyway. I mean, it's fair enough that a DAW comes with all sorts of stuff to get your started... but, frankly, who really uses those after a couple of years, and god knows how many plugin purchases, which simply do the job better, because the companies developing the plugins have more time, and maybe more experience to create quality plugins for the specific use case. No sampler in a DAW will ever beat Kontakt, and no synth in a DAW will ever beat what is available as soft synths on the market already. I would agree that it's wasted potential really, which could be used to expand the DAW capabilities.

cryophonik wrote:
whyterabbyt wrote:And I dont actually want programmer resources that could go into DAW functionality and support to be wasted on yet another bundled cut-down plugin I dont need.
That's a fair point, but Cakewalk would be far more likely to partner with an existing software developer to create or bundle a sampler plugin with Sonar.
I dont think they've ever shipped a 3rd-party instrument created solely for Sonar. Bundling would be a possibility, but post-'lifetime platinum' I see it as less likely; bundled instruments were primarily added to the top tier version of Sonar where the extra revenue could cover the cost of licensing the extra plugins, but that's harder for CW to pay for when that tier has been turned into the 'never pay again' option.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Darn.

I came here to jump on a flame war and defend Sonar. I came here to troll and react to the topic like a screaming two-year-old. Now, I'm just disappointed.

Maybe I can still stir things up. Here goes:

Sonar doesn't need a new hardware controller because it is made for musicians, not knob-twisting kids who wouldn't know a quarter note from a pumpkin (clever Halloween reference, eh?).

Oh, and I agree with others who say there are plenty of good samplers you can use with Sonar.

In your replies, please focus on the important point I've made about knob-twisting. Thank you.

[Posted on a gloomy night by a bored guy with no real life. C'mon. Sting me.]

:D
Dave Burns
Lowell, MA

More equipment than skill...

whyterabbyt wrote: Why should we care, exactly?
Maybe you don't, and that's okay. These are opinions based on our own wants/needs, after all.

Arguments have been made on both sides in the Sonar sampler thread, so I won't bother rehashing them here.

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”