Resampling - Downsampling

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey Guys,
I am pretty new to sampling synths/romplers and had a question. I sampled a bunch of my sythns/romplers (several hundred patches) a few years ago. When sampling I realized that I needlessly sampled far too many notes and velocities, which created huge file sizes. My question is this:

If I sampled for example my DX7 (every 3rd note at 3 velocities each) and wanted to reduce the size to a patch with samples at every octave at one velocity, how would I do this in bulk across many patches?
www.urbanrecordingcompany.com
Only the Finest Studio Tools!

littlefish wrote:how would I do this in bulk across many patches?
patches for what?
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

A patch, or program. Example. I have captured all banks of an emu- synth that I own. 128 patches per bank.
I have oversampled all of these, and each patch (program) is needlessly bloated.
I would like to reduce their size by removing velocities and mapped samples.
I want to do this across MANY programs/patches.

littlefish wrote:A patch, or program. Example. I have captured all banks of an emu- synth that I own. 128 patches per bank.
I have oversampled all of these, and each patch (program) is needlessly bloated.
I would like to reduce their size by removing velocities and mapped samples.
I want to do this across MANY programs/patches.
Yes, but you dont say what sampler or whatever you're using them in. Your phrasing here
When sampling I realized that I needlessly sampled far too many notes and velocities, which created huge file sizes.
implies that they're stored in some format which contains all your variations. If that's not a patch for your sampler, then what is it? A single recording of all your variations? If its that, then you'll need to split them into separate files first.
And if it is a patch for a sampler, then we'd need to know which one to advise on how to slim down the sampler patches.

My question is this:

If I sampled for example my DX7 (every 3rd note at 3 velocities each) and wanted to reduce the size to a patch with samples at every octave at one velocity, how would I do this in bulk across many patches?
I cant answer that without knowing what form the samples are in. If they're one file per variation, dont use the files you dont want. If they're a single recording, split it into single files and dont use the files you dont want. If they're already in a patch for a sampler, then edit the patch. Without much more specific information, the best anyone can do is guess what form the samples are in and how they're arranged and what you can do.
And to do any of this in bulk, we need that information.

Kontakt to kontakt

To clarify, I sampled with Redmatica Autosampler capturing banks of patches for romplers that I use. Capturing notes three semi-tones apart, each at three velocities.
Each patch was saved in multiple formats (NKI, EXS).

I would like to reduce them to a single velocity with as little as two samples per octave, reducing the size of each patch to 1/6th of current size.

I have maybe 40 banks of 128 patches sampled this way.

No idea how to batch-process them all unless you still have the original Redmatica files and it lets you redo it. But it wouldnt involve resampling or downsampling at all, just changing the key/velocity sets on the Mapping Editor.
If you're not used to the Mapping Editor, there's a basic overview in this page
https://www.adsrsounds.com/kontakt-tuto ... ng-editor/

Are the samples named consistently? As they've come out of an autosampler that seems likely. If you can settle on a consistent patterns for which notes you use and the velocity then you have the option of using regular expressions in a filesystem manager to select out the ones you want, or the ones you don't want and then delete those. Your prerequisite is a file manager that handles regex renaming or an OS shell with scripting support.

I would do this in either of two ways:
1. Resample the hardware instruments using Redmatica Autosampler with different parameters (e.g. just two notes for octave, and just two velocities or even one velocity - for synth sounds, usually you can achieve expression by using the instrument programming tools in the sampler, instead of using many sample layers).
OR
2. Use the existing samples and recreate the instruments in Kontakt by hand. This would most likely result in a better job, but it will take you a lot of time, and a lot of work. You will have to create new sample maps by hand, and previously choose which samples to use/keep. This would be done in the Kontakt Mapping Editor, as whyterabbyt said.
Fernando (FMR)

Wow. Sounds terrible. For thousands of patches, this would take forever. Took weeks of work to capture everything. Even if I were just able to remove the the multiple velocity layers that would be fine.

littlefish wrote:Wow. Sounds terrible. For thousands of patches, this would take forever. Took weeks of work to capture everything. Even if I were just able to remove the the multiple velocity layers that would be fine.
Then it will probably be better to start over with the settings you now want. Just a tip. Try first just with a small bunch of patches (like 10 or so) and when you establish the settings that best fit what you seek you then go for the whole project.
Fernando (FMR)

Thanks for the advice Fernando
I no longer have the units to sample!

littlefish wrote:Thanks for the advice Fernando
I no longer have the units to sample!
I doubt there is a good automatic way of doing this that won't be a lot of work. I would just use Kontakt's sample compression - will probably shrink them to ~50%, and/or buy more disk space, which is cheap these days. I find myself spending half an hour fiddling about to save one Megabyte of disk space and realize that 1 Meg of disk space is worth <10cents, so basically I'm working for like 20cents per hour :-)

Why do you want to reduce the size of the patches? Won't you just end up with less realistic sounding patches? As suggested above, the only way to do this is by hand. Its a lot of work to simply reduce the size of a patch.

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”