Do you buy impulse responses?

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)

Do you buy impulse responses?

yes
33%
no
38%
it depends
23%
maybe
6%

Total votes: 64

RELATED
PRODUCTS

I never bought IR in my life, but I've been using convolution reverbs for ages. It all started with Acoustic Mirror in Sound Forge.
Later on Image-Line implemented Fruity Convolver in FL Studio and Convolver can sample other plugins and make impulses.
Note that this video is 7 years old, it's from 2010:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzAmGtoswAE

which basically means that you can sample any reverb in the Universe and make impulses or to even demo other convolution reverbs and steal their impulses too.
Thug life :D

At first it sounds awesome, but it gets boring pretty fast because it all comes down to your routine,
out of dozens or hundreds of IR's, you just pick 5-10 that work for you in many situations, the best ones
and you stick with that and just shift+delete others.

Other reason why I stick with Convolver is that you can control reverb in various ways by drawing custom envelopes. For example, if you want gated reverb on snare or toms (a typical effect during the 80s) you just do something like this:

with white noise and you have your gated reverb. In a typical way you would use huge reverb and gate it with limiter or some gate plugin, whatever. But that can easily fall apart in drum fills. So, people would usually create gated reverb and export that snare sample and then import it, just because things can fall apart in drum fills. But, the problem is when you are working in different bpm's and you have to do it all the time, while with Convolver you just draw envelope, adapt your reverb how you want it and you are done. It's that simple.
But also, because you can draw custom envelope (and you have EQ with drawable envelope too) you can fully control how you want reverb (IR) to affect your sound. It simply cuts down the need of hundreds of IR's.

IR's can also create interesting effects, if you load them as some simple synth sounds.
I was experimenting with that even in Sound Forge and the best results are when you combine for example C note and apply it to something that is also in C, because IR would just repeat itself and play that same note.
I remember that I was spending hours and hours on that and creating some interesting droning sounds.
I would play 1-2 chords on acoustic guitar, then record that with Sound Forge, then I would copy/paste several times and start applying different synth sound (IR) onto it. The point is that you apply not just one IR that way, but to apply 2, 3, 4 or even 5 instances.
The whole process is really tiresome because you can't predict the result until you try it.
Sometimes even the dumbest sound used as IR can give you unexpected, good and interesting result.

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”