If you had to choose just one Orchestra Sample Library, Which one is it?

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

jancivil wrote: Do you mean contrabass 'bone?

BTW, nerd factor here, didya know that the flugelhorn is technically the alto tuba? IE: tuba, conical bore as is the euphonium, vs cyndrical bore eg., trumpet, baritone horn.
Yes contrabass trombone. And no I did not know about the flugelhorn.

I learned it buying that one from VSL, via their forum. Not sure why I never took a look at this Metropolis Ark. Maybe the name.

Albion One.

borealfarmer wrote:Albion One.
Indeed. Or go for Embertone Intimate Strings.

I know this thread has probably lived too long but I just figured I'd note that Albion One is a good product but it is lacking as a single-library full orchestra solution in the following distinct ways:

1. It lacks a LOT of instruments. It basically has strings, brass, woodwinds, and percussion. If you want things like harps, any of the metallophones, etc. you will have to supplement with another library.

2. The patches are all ensemble patches, i.e. the strings are all one patch, and you can't just play violins or cellos individually, you can't just play horns, trumpets, individually, likewise with the woodwinds, etc.

3. As others have mentioned, the room is really present and thus it doesn't necessarily mix well with other libraries, so see above comment about supplementing it with instruments it does not contain.

These might not bother someone doing quick mock-ups for film score type projects, but I feel like I very quickly run up against its limitations just by the way that I compose, which is to say I like to have specific instruments doing specific things and not just have a large mass of instruments all doing the same thing (which I guess is how a lot of modern scores work these days, unfortunately).

Crayzie recommended Versilian; I second. Its got 90 major instruments including oddballs, plus dozens of quality percussion, good choice of mic positions, its inexpensive and runs in Kontakt Player.
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

While I agree with the problems goldenhelix mentioned above, I still have to give my vote to Albion I, especially if you know you are mainly going to use it in the ways it allows and are not too interested in the stuff it doesn't give you, unless somebody can mention a library that gives as good quality and includes all the things that it is missing.

Another option I personally haven't used, but which is definitely on my interest list is Metropolis Ark 1. It also has quite prolific sound which might not fit into your style, but if you are looking for that deep epic sound, all the material I've heard from it seems remarkably high quality.

Any of Spitfire Audio Libraries.
http://www.voltagedisciple.com
Patches for PHASEPLANT ACE,PREDATOR, SYNPLANT, SUB BOOM BASS2,PUNCH , PUNCH BD
AALTO,CIRCLE,BLADE and V-Haus Card For Tiptop Audio ONE Module
https://soundcloud.com/somerville-1i

Berlin if money were no object, which sadly it is.

Did anyone mention this brief overview of many orchestral types...
https://orchestralvst.wordpress.com/

The Orchestra.

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”