sounds.com

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

A noize competitor, from NI it seems.

https://www.insideaudio.net/en/blog/pro ... -soundscom

Free to sign up, thoughts?

soundpacks ? ... i'm definitely not the target market.

Then why even post in this thread? Lol

I just got an email about this, about to check out now.

Russell Grand wrote:Then why even post in this thread? Lol

I just got an email about this, about to check out now.
i did not know what it was. he asked for my thoughts, and if it were a shitheel like you who asked I certainly wouldn't have bothered wasting a tab on my browser ... but since it was ghettosynth, I checked it out. realising what it was after checking it out, my only thought was 'not for me' ... and given that my thoughts were asked for, I shared them.

this is generally how it works.

thank you, and good day.

ghettosynth wrote:Free to sign up, thoughts?
I found it extremely easy to navigate. Much snappier and cleaner than Noiiz. Very well thought out. A plugin to audition the samples within the DAW would be nice. And the quality of the samples needs to be seen although NI is probably a safe bet.

Edit: there is a number of good labels in there. That's promising. Puremagnetik was a nice surprise.
Follow me on Youtube for videos on spatial and immersive audio production.

Detailed read on Sounds.com and possibilities for the future: http://www.factmag.com/2018/01/17/sound ... struments/

Looked at it briefly yesterday and found the selection of "Global" sounds to be too lacking for my needs. Definitely something to keep my eye on, though.
Check the re-sellers, don't check the re-sellers. I don't care.

mickbenjamins wrote:Detailed read on Sounds.com and possibilities for the future: http://www.factmag.com/2018/01/17/sound ... struments/
NI is planning integration for Sounds with its own hardware, but also a plug-in for DAW integration and APIs that will allow third parties to make Sounds work more seamlessly with their own controllers.
A Maschine controller with integrated access to the entire library would certainly sell it for me. :hyper:

ghettosynth wrote:A noize competitor, from NI it seems.
It seems? Make that definitely:
sounds.com wrote:Sounds.com is powered by Native Instruments
Good move of them, an easy source of revenue. Because we don't want NI to go under, do we?
ghettosynth wrote:Free to sign up, thoughts?
Registration not needed when all you want to do is browse.
You can even preview the payed content without signing up.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

What labels there do people find good?

I'm a big fan of Samplephonics (at Noiiz) and Sample Magic, and I wasn't really impressed with the selection so far.

Splice is another competitor in this space. They offer a number of packages, the cheapest being $8 per month for 100 samples. You can carry over unused credits month over month, but if you lapse your subscription, all credits disappear. So I found myself at month four with a plethora of credits. I learned from the experience that I am not the target market for this sort of thing.

I am curious as to how people use sample libraries. I usually have a track going and then I say... I would sure like to put in a jazzy sax riff in the key of Dmin at 105bpm, and then spend hours on Splice trying (and failing) to find that sample. Plus, without an ability to audition a sample in the context of a track, it's really hard to know what will work. So instead, I'd download a bunch of samples that might work, but in the end, didn't.

I guess if my workflow were to build ideas using samples as the start, maybe that's when sample libraries become more useful? I really like the concept of a sample smorgasborg, but it doesn't seem suit my style of music-making.

I think the holy grail is an Apple Music equivalent. A tool that indexes and meta-tags your samples with standard and custom tags, stores everything in the cloud and connects to a store for auditioning within your DAW and buying new samples.

I use Splice almost exclusively for versioning and cloud backup (and it has saved my butt a couple of times). With the samples I have a similar experience, I never find anything. So I basically wait until I have enough credits and then download an entire pack and add it to my offline library.

Noiiz was promising at first but then did not deliver imho. I ended up what probably everybody did: download everything. If I wouldn‘t be locked into the super-earlybird price, I probably wouldn‘t renew. But I decided to give it another year. Maybe they are getting this somewhere useful.

At the moment I mainly use my offline library. There I already know where all the good stuff is and don‘t need to search endlessly. But I do agree that a nice, well structured online library with a good and usable tagging system (that I do not have to populate myself) would definitely be a welcome addition to my workflow. Loopcloud does that well but they do not yet have a subscription system, so you can only use it for stuff you alteady own which sort of beats the purpose.

I have looked around for answers to this, but could not find anything on the website.

Does the monthly subscription give you a limited number of credits/downloads in the way that Splice does?

If you cancel your subscription, do you lose the right to use those samples?

andrew71 wrote:I have looked around for answers to this, but could not find anything on the website.

Does the monthly subscription give you a limited number of credits/downloads in the way that Splice does?

If you cancel your subscription, do you lose the right to use those samples?
According to their terms, the rights on anything you have downloaded are perpetual, hence you can keep them even if you cancel. There are no limits on downloads at the moment but the terms state that they have the right to impose limits if they choose to do so (which is fairly standard legal lingo, I think).

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”