8DIO - My experience

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

GearNostalgia wrote:After listening to some polished demos and a very pursuasive chat with their online support I bought a choir library.
Which one?
GearNostalgia wrote: After like 10 minutes or so playing a scale and random jamming I heard something that did not seem right.
What exactly?
GearNostalgia wrote: Then things just got absurd.
The only thing which I find to be absurd is that you went to buy BMW car (which one?) and went home with it, you noticed something is wrong (what exactly?) and you hit the tree. You went back to BMW store and asked for another car. BMW people didn't want to give you another car, you went online to rage about BMW being a-holes, however you forgot to mention that you didn't even know how to drive a car.

That's why this thread is so comical.

Cellos , programm a fast 16th ostinato.

By the way it’s acknowledged by 8DIO. I made a YouTube video to demonstrate.

Compared to Hollywood strings they are utter rubbish when it comes to fast passages.
zvenx wrote:I use to use the adagietto spiccato often (matter of fact I just fired them up again both ensemble and individual) and didn't find them loose or late to trigger...what other libraries are you comparing them to? Most hardware Rom's usually edit out the initial attack to make them sharper and more 'in time', but that isn't how a real orchestra sounds.
rsp

topaz wrote:Cellos , programm a fast 16th ostinato.

Compared to Hollywood strings they are utter rubbish when it comes to fast passages.
I can post you example where Metropolis Ark 1 sounds like absolute rubbish and same thing with every single sound library out there.
You can always find something not working properly in every sound library out there.
Some things get fixed and sound libraries get updated, sometimes things don't get fixed, sometimes you need to fix things on your own.

brainzistor wrote: The only thing which I find to be absurd is that you went to buy BMW car (which one?) and went home with it, you noticed something is wrong (what exactly?) and you hit the tree. You went back to BMW store and asked for another car. BMW people didn't want to give you another car, you went online to rage about BMW being a-holes, however you forgot to mention that you didn't even know how to drive a car.

No.. that's not at all a good analogy but it's probably the one that makes you feel better and allows you to twist the narrative. :uhuhuh:
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

The library I got sound great in general, but is has some artifacts in seemingly random notes here and there that makes it bad for my purpose. 8Dio confirmed that the noises are there and that I bought the wrong product and should have bought another of theirs. But I bought it on advice and assurance from their online staff that it was the right product for me. I could accept that they gave me a bad advice if they were willing to make some effort to give me another product or some kind of remedy... but they just plain say - no to any kind of solution to this mismatch. That is why I advice everybody to thing more than twice before getting their product and not taking their demos as a testimony of the quality of the product and not trust their online advice unless you are willing to take a gamble and loss of hundreds of bucks.

zvenx wrote:I use to use the adagietto spiccato often (matter of fact I just fired them up again both ensemble and individual) and didn't find them loose or late to trigger...what other libraries are you comparing them to? Most hardware Rom's usually edit out the initial attack to make them sharper and more 'in time', but that isn't how a real orchestra sounds.
Well, when I buy orchestral library products, I'm SURE not trying to buy your notion of the psychoacoustics of a real orchestra from the audience perspective in the form of a slow-acting spiccato or something. This was actually pretty laughable and as it served you dissing someone else for not knowing 'how to drive', particularly so.

I won't buy 8DIO _ever_ again for my own reasons, one of them being the way their products are designed and created, without getting into an explanation I'll just say they're weird but not in the good weird. IMO.
Another is, for the more regular instruments they're not usually really as special as all that. Another is my experience with support on something quite crucial was the absolute pits.

And the context of the OP's complaint is missed by some fanbois in their eagerness to offer up their apologetics. Someone offered 'this isn't the library for you, then' and this was apparently their notion of a sales pitch. It sounds to me like someone was particularly obtuse and it was upsetting given the "bitone" held over on one of the notes in one range; which isn't from natural, it's sloppy work. I would be beyond pissed. It's one thing not to give a refund but no resale, you're stuck with something which is rubbish.

Have a look around, none of these sorts of objections are all that unusual, here or elsewhere on the net. I once found Troel's former compatriot comment on one thread (regarding something probably illegal) 'What a douche' regarding the thing (where VI Control had kowtowed to Folmann's request to censure the party who had a legit case).

brainzistor wrote:
GearNostalgia wrote:After listening to some polished demos and a very pursuasive chat with their online support I bought a choir library.
Which one?
GearNostalgia wrote: After like 10 minutes or so playing a scale and random jamming I heard something that did not seem right.
What exactly?
GearNostalgia wrote: Then things just got absurd.
The only thing which I find to be absurd is that you went to buy BMW car (which one?) and went home with it, you noticed something is wrong (what exactly?) and you hit the tree. You went back to BMW store and asked for another car. BMW people didn't want to give you another car, you went online to rage about BMW being a-holes, however you forgot to mention that you didn't even know how to drive a car.

besides flaming I see no need for rubbing salt in the wound as it were. It seems the op realized early in the thread his err, learned from it and has decided not to do business with this company. I'm sure he'd appreciate more advice of worthwhile libraries that would better suit his needs, if you can contribute along those lines please do otherwise move on move along as there's nothing more for you here.
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

unfortunately there are 100s of files so would be a nightmare to repair.

that is exactly why I will avoid 8DIO in the future.

brainzistor wrote:

I can post you example where Metropolis Ark 1 sounds like absolute rubbish and same thing with every single sound library out there.
You can always find something not working properly in every sound library out there.
Some things get fixed and sound libraries get updated, sometimes things don't get fixed, sometimes you need to fix things on your own.

Hink wrote:
besides flaming I see no need for rubbing salt in the wound as it were. It seems the op realized early in the thread his err, learned from it and has decided not to do business with this company. I'm sure he'd appreciate more advice of worthwhile libraries that would better suit his needs, if you can contribute along those lines please do otherwise move on move along as there's nothing more for you here.
Well as it is this rotten deal blew most of my hobby music funds for this year so I can't handle expensive suggestions right now. That aside what I really would like is to find a list of companies that are decent in their handling or swapping/refunding/reselling of their products. I found one old seemingly dead thread about it on VI-forum. Since I did not even know of that forum prior to this nightmare I think it would be nice to have a sticky stread about this in here too so people avoid this in the future.

topaz wrote:unfortunately there are 100s of files so would be a nightmare to repair.

that is exactly why I will avoid 8DIO in the future.
Agree, it makes no sense to me why a customer should rebuild a flawed product that retails for a premium price. We are not talking about a 9.95 bucks VST here. Besides that I just got Kontakt and have no idea how I could do that if it is even possible.

brainzistor wrote: You can always find something not working properly in every sound library out there.
Who knew you had experience with "every sound library out there". :tu:

GearNostalgia wrote:That aside what I really would like is to find a list of companies that are decent in their handling or swapping/refunding/reselling of their products. I found one old seemingly dead thread about it on VI-forum. Since I did not even know of that forum prior to this nightmare I think it would be nice to have a sticky stread about this in here too so people avoid this in the future.
Got a couple 8dio libs here and love em but its only perc. Sorry you hit a bad deal with the choir. Imo perc is a easy bet cus its hard to f*ck up... the other stuff? Good luck if you wanna go blind. Best hit up producers in the studio with cameras and mics off. Every dev makes some wack shit even the best... but you aint gonna find honesty out in the public. Just how it is.

Armagibbon wrote:
GearNostalgia wrote:That aside what I really would like is to find a list of companies that are decent in their handling or swapping/refunding/reselling of their products. I found one old seemingly dead thread about it on VI-forum. Since I did not even know of that forum prior to this nightmare I think it would be nice to have a sticky stread about this in here too so people avoid this in the future.
Got a couple 8dio libs here and love em but its only perc. Sorry you hit a bad deal with the choir. Imo perc is a easy bet cus its hard to f*ck up... the other stuff? Good luck if you wanna go blind. Best hit up producers in the studio with cameras and mics off. Every dev makes some wack shit even the best... but you aint gonna find honesty out in the public. Just how it is.
Yes, I have bought bad gear and software before, but never met a company that was totally unwilling to trade it in or let me sell it on or atleast give me some store credits to buy something else instead. 8Dio just stonewalled me and offered nothing. It baffles me that I am not the first to exerience this so I really think this forum could use a sticky warning thread about companies that likes to trick you into a deal that is a one way street.

As for truth I will make a review of this on Youtube some day where I will play simple scales without effects and really show how it sounds on ALL keys. The honesty is out there in some cases, but I just did not find it about 8Dio until afterwards.

from memory the only time I've been caught out is with a choir library which has some nasty resonances in the higher registers. It was ok when I got it I think but the Kontakt scripting seems to have changed in newer version of Kontakt. Unfortunately I got another up to date choir library from the same company only to realise that was even worse.

But yes, a problem with sample libraries is that yuou are stuck if you get buy them.
Pastoral, Kosmiche, Ambient Music https://markgriffiths.bandcamp.com/
Experimental Music https://markdaltongriffiths.bandcamp.com/

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”