what else sampler instead of NI Kontakt do you guys use most?

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey guys,

first of all, if there is any source about this topic (which has probably been asked many times before) please link me to it etc. and I am happy to read through it, but in case not, as you can read in the title, I am asking myself what your sampler of choice is, since I am aware that not everyone is a. a professional or b. using NI Kontakt for sample playback.

Would be happy to hear a few opinions from you guys! Thank you!
Alex Pfeffer
composer, sound designer, guitarist, writer & supporting fellow artists
websitepatreonstoretwitchdiscord

I use Live's Simpler & Sampler mainly ... never used Kontakt.

When creating new mapped samplesets, only Sforzando here.

Live's samplers are good, as is the new multi-sampler included in Tracktion Waveform 9 (DAW still $29 through today with 50% off discount code). This assumes you want to create your own sound sets.

For free 3rd party plugins I would agree that the free sforzando https://www.plogue.com/products/sforzando.html would be a good suggestion, as would TX16Wx for drag & drop simplicity. https://www.tx16wx.com/

You didn't mention if your goal is to create your own samples, or to purchase sample libraries.

Kontakt would be the most open ended as far as purchasing additional instruments, but I am happy with SampleTank 3, and the included factory library that comes with it for most basic instrument sounds. It is available for $99 right now. https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/sampletank3/
Windows 10 and too many plugins

Hey guys,

thanks so far for your helpful comments! Already some great information here! :)
Well, I kind of kept my goal in the dark since I didn't want to promote around, but I am currently working on expanding my little sample library endeavour to another sampler. I am aware that most pros use Kontakt but there are also hobby or part time composers and since I create lots of smaller libs and pretty much affordable, I want to sort of give access to non Kontakt users too! (even though the .wav files are always accessible in my stuff I somehow feel it could be mapped to something :))

Thanks again!
Alex Pfeffer

The most overlooked sampler for 3rd party sample libraries in my opinion, is probably Steinberg HALion. It hasn't gotten much interest from 3rd party developers, and is really seems to be the only good alternative sampling engine to Kontakt for commercial libraries.
Windows 10 and too many plugins

Sforzando. It's not as powerful as Kontakt, but its other advantages generally make up for it.
Wait... loot _then_ burn? D'oh!

Hands down for me it's Falcon. UVI has some great libraries and I like what I personally can do sampling wise in Falcon.
Kontakt is great but my second sampler is Falcon.

A second for Falcon.

I actually use Tal Sampler when I don't want to use Kontakt. It is limited, but that is what I like about it. Easy to use, works like a synth & not too complex.
I read more than post = I listen more than I talk

Sforzando also. I'm working on the SFZformat site to make it easier for people to put it to use.

I've stopped using Kontakt, now it's mainly Falcon and HALion.

Ableton Live users get massively spoiled with Simpler and Sampler (and their integration into Drum Racks). Hands down the best sampler solution i've ever used, and i rely heavily on those two for audio mangling in my music.

Every so often i get caught up in something that Ableton does poorly (CPU is an annoying one) and try other samplers with Reaper (Nuance, Vice, TX16Wx, Kontakt, Redux, on and on...), but i can never find anything that's as easy and comprehensive as Ableton's devices. i'm always sorely lacking some feature or ease of use.

For the ease of use and quality of the results, I'd say TAL Sampler. TX16W is more complete in terms of features, and also gives you guarantees in terms of quality of the results.

But my favorites are what I call the BIG THREE: HALion, Falcon, and Kontakt (the order is intentional). Not easy to use, but they are in a class of their own.
Fernando (FMR)

Thanks again guys! Seems like TX16W is really the only sampler which is free and has a wide range of features
Alex Pfeffer

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”