Bargain Center: discussion, gossip, etc.

Buy and sell, post special offers, group buys, etc. NOT product announcements.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Gribs wrote:Comparing income in USA to European countries is also difficult because we have to pay for our own health "insurance". That also includes the partial benefit towards said insurance provided by some employers and the fact that even though many of us have insurance, we have co-pays and the insurance does not pay the full amount. The insurance may pay the 90% of the > $60k bill for emergency angioplasty, stenting, and hospital stay for a heart attack, but that means one is stuck with > $6k that one must pay out of pocket (I know, I had a heart attack about 8.5 years ago). For colon cancer, as one of my friends had, the cost is significantly higher than that.

In countries that have true socialized medicine, taxes may be higher to pay for it, but the huge money soak for the insurance companies and bloated hospital administration does not necessarily exist.

Anyway, my point is that "income" does not measure "quality of life".

To have the same quality of life I have in Minnesota if I were to say be working for Apple in Cupertino instead of 3M in St. Paul then I would have to be able to reach my office/lab in < 10 minutes and live in a nice > 2500 sq ft house on a wooded lot in a very nice suburb. That probably means my home would cost in the >> $1 million range, if I could find one. So yeah, location does mean something.
You are absolutely right that there are many circumstances that has to be taken into account than just income. The average tax level in the US (even though there are differences in the tax-rate between the states) is lower than the average of the EU-countries. And in Denmark where I live we compete with Sweden of having the highest overall tax level in the world. A competition you don't want to win :-D.

In Scandinavia the social security level is almost ridicolously high. Everybody has free health care and substantial subsedies to medicin etc. All educations are free and already from High School you are entitled to a monthly salery for studying (which I think is ridicolous when you live with your parents). A University degree is free and you get about $750 to study each month.

I'm aware of the difference in needed responsibility for your own life when comparing US to Scandinavia. In Scandinavia the State takes responsibility for many things in your life. The good thing about Scandinavia is that the labor market is very flexible and there is a low level of corruption.

But in my eyes Scandinavia has success because we take advantage of the technological progress that is created by US, South East Asian countries and Japan. There would never have been a Henry Ford in Denmark because he would have been told not to think he was better, smarter of more clever than others just because he thought he could mass produce an inexpensive car to everyone (I actually saw this example in a cartoon in a danish newspaper :-D).

US creates winners that are better to things than anywhere else whether it is in overall technology, computer science, medical science or even musicians. But US also creates (visible) loosers that falls through the large social security masks.

In my view I don't think we would have our welfare to this extend if it wasn't for the technology that US has implemented.

And sorry to hear about your heart attack. I hope that you keep hanging in there. You are alive at least ;-).

Hans25 wrote:
MrFurious wrote:The median household income purchasing power from the link is EXACTLY adjusted and cleaned for price differences between the countries. So what you are linking to is just a confirmation of my statement. The real income (where price differences are talken into account) between the median US household and an average western EU-country is roughly the same. (...)
So what you are refering to is income ADJUSTED for price differences in the countries.
Quite good and indepth explanation Hans25, together with most other precisions mentioned, like varying taxes, welfare system, regional differences.
However what these numbers are basicly doing, is summing the national value of good and services produced in a year, and dividing that number by the number of people, which induces into a gross bias in terms of income distribution inequality. For instance in the last Wikipedia graph, Chile appears with a relative (to the rest of the world) high income, whereas sadly more than 80% of the Chileans are far, far below that line; that number over represents the income of a few companies and families an averages it to the total country population.

///My take is that, It is good that some kind of better transparency is achieved in these matters. Those numbers above are last century (2nd wave of development) transparency, which is quite opaque for where we are rapidly heading at.
Thus, conversations like this one are being held at all kinds of levels, not just technical. One good example is the google ex-workers making a public excel with their salaries, for workmates to fill out. It is a beginning but discrimination and other (exchange/transactional/etc) abuses are starting to come out, and will be deal with. Conscience is costly to reach at, but ultimately beneficial.

Got some virtual cash at Plugin Boutique and unlike IKM I could use it all on one transaction, so I got GAK150 for less than €6 :)

Hans25 wrote: In Scandinavia the social security level is almost ridicolously high. Everybody has free health care and substantial subsedies to medicin etc. All educations are free and already from High School you are entitled to a monthly salery for studying (which I think is ridicolous when you live with your parents). A University degree is free and you get about $750 to study each month.
holy sh*t, i should've migrated to northern europe a few years ago :o guess i now have to become hindu and hope i'll be born again as a Scandinavian student :D

At Aalto page it is stated "If you have a coupon code, enter it here"
http://madronalabs.com/products/aalto

My question is: how do I get a coupon code for Aalto ? :?

Maybe I forgot to sign up for their newsletter....

BTW, I didn't quite get the finnish, but I gather

Aalto = Wave
Kaivo = Well (as in water)

hivkorn wrote:Hey Mr Jrrshop , what is Arturia Brass ? I can't see it on the arturia website ...It is a discontinued product ?
Yes, that was an old product that has been discontinued.

kloon wrote:Still waiting on my Sem V license, will it be sent today Uncle E?
Did you receive it?

Numanoid wrote:At Aalto page it is stated "If you have a coupon code, enter it here"
http://madronalabs.com/products/aalto

My question is: how do I get a coupon code for Aalto ? :?
If you go to the Madrona Labs home page - http://madronalabs.com/ - it says that you can enter code PARABOLA to get 30% off all software (until 1st Sept)
My Blog
Stett Audio on SoundCloud.

roland_rock wrote:If you go to the Madrona Labs home page - http://madronalabs.com/ - it says that you can enter code PARABOLA to get 30% off all software (until 1st Sept)
How did I miss that? :oops:

What is the difference between Aalto CM and Aalto, except that Aalto CM is monophonic.

elxsound wrote:I really hate that even with JRRshop there's no mention of hours of operation.
We deliver licenses 7 days a week.

However, with some companies, we must either order boxes (Steinberg, MOTU) or get orders processed manually (iZotope, Slate), and this can cause those orders to be delayed.

yomanfree wrote:grrrrrrr .... Uncle E please gives some lesson to european stores to explain how you can achieve these prices, like the slim phatty (europe best price: 800 euros), Moog Werkstatt 01 (europe best price: 300 euros) :x :roll:
You can almost propose the price divided by 2.
(and taxes can't explain differences .... by far)
Why not just buy from us? ;)

Hey numanoid geekmodel sold his copy of aalto for 49 $ , i think it s'cheaper than the website price.

hivkorn wrote:Hey numanoid geekmodel sold his copy of aalto for 49 $ , i think it s'cheaper than the website price.
That is true, but what is the difference between Aalto and Aalto CM. If it is just that Aalto CM is monophonic, then I'll stick with it.

Afair Aalto CM is mono as only restriction but keep in mind that Aalto2 will come out one day with an upgrade path for existing customers.
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

Don t even know there is a CM version ! I bought a second hand license here and i must say I am very amazed by this little plugin (and i own reaktor (i create my synth...)) , the workflow is very good.

Return to “Sell & Buy (+Special Offers, Deals & Promos)”