PayPal and the GIFT option for international users (19 EU / 6 International countries atm)

Buy and sell, post special offers, group buys, etc. NOT product announcements.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Novalis wrote:
PayPal isn't a bank.
Of course it is a bank.
It needs and has a bank license in every country it operates.
Erm, no.

Not in the US. Not anywhere in the EU except Luxembourg, where it has a banking license, not a 'bank license'. Building societies have banking licenses, too, but they're still not banks.
In fact there isn't any such thing as a bank license, but having a banking license doesn't make something a bank any more than having a fishing license makes you a fish.
In the United States, PayPal is licensed as a money transmitter on a state-by-state basis.[56] PayPal is not classified as a bank in the United States, though the company is subject to some of the rules and regulations governing the financial industry including Regulation E consumer protections and the USA PATRIOT Act.[57]
In 2007, PayPal Europe was granted a Luxembourg banking license, which, under European Union law, allows it to conduct banking business throughout the EU.[58] It is therefore regulated as a bank by Luxembourg's banking supervisory authority, the Commission de Surveillance du Secteur Financier (CSSF).[59][60][61]
In Australia, PayPal is licensed as an Authorised Deposit-taking Institution (ADI) and is thus subject to Australian banking laws and regulations.[62]
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

So you like to quote Wikipedia, let me do the same:
From July 2007, PayPal has operated across the European Union as a Luxembourg-based bank.
Ok, so it's banking license and not bank license.
Congrats on correcting a mistake of a non native English speaker.
I think you still got what I meant.

Wow... so "PayPal Gift Option" is now the new "Dongle Hate/CP hate" hot-topic.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Its ok, people can say whatever...i will still follow my old rules...right under the Donate or Purchase button will always state that by clicking that you Agree to the Terms and Conditions which state that you Waive and Withdraw any right to file a claim after a purchase...think and investigate before you buy it. Sick and tired of people buying Sounds then claiming money back and then again using my sounds. I'd rather have 5 buyers then 50 with headaches and 50 thieves.
Reality is a Condition due to Lack of Weed!

BasariStudios wrote:Sick and tired of people buying Sounds then claiming money back and then again using my sounds. I'd rather have 5 buyers then 50 with headaches and 50 thieves.
Maybe you should look into an automated system like e-junkie. I've had hundreds of sales and no-one ever tried to get a refund.
Free banks for soft synths | ghostwave.fr | soundcloud.com/ghostwaveaudio

Actually i was thinking of that and you just made me think even more of it now.
Thanks
Reality is a Condition due to Lack of Weed!

Novalis wrote:So you like to quote Wikipedia, let me do the same:
From July 2007, PayPal has operated across the European Union as a Luxembourg-based bank.
Ok, so it's banking license and not bank license.
Congrats on correcting a mistake of a non native English speaker.
I think you still got what I meant.
Yeah, I got what you meant. You claimed they were a bank, and that the proof of that was that in 'every single country' they held a license which made them a bank. The fact is though, they dont have any such license in every country, the kind of license they have varies from country to country, and in most cases, non-bank institutions have those licenses too.

Its not about correcting the English mistake, its about the incorrect assertions you made, and the faulty basis you made it from.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Wondering why the hell the gift option is not available in Germany. Whatever. Didn't read the whole thread, sorry if the answer was already given.

I don't know why it was "removed", actually PayPal is talking about this every time I log in - but I can only "send money" without any option to "family" or something.

So I take that as "non-existant" unless someone can show me "where" to find it. Still, not okay to go this route just to save a buck.

I recently did a lot of sales through Ebay "SmallAds" with SEPA transactions - close EU borders even. No issues whatsoever, no extra fees involved. Some transactions took about 4-5 days, but most of the time it was registered within 24hours.

If people can wait weeks/months for a suitable second hand deal in here, I think another 24-48 hours (through SEPA in the EU) don't hurt if you don't want PayPal fees being involved. No excuse to be a cheapstake on that behalf.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

I just got an email from paypal telling me I could send money to friends now. in germany.
is that something similar?

neither do I have friends with paypal nor do I consider people I send money with paypal to belonging to that eloquent little group I call "friends".
so I don't have any reason to test that, currently.

(you're all just pals, sorry ;) )

I was under the false impression that it was free to send money as a gift to family and friends:

:help:

https://www.paypal.com/no/cgi-bin/websc ... ew-outside

In a globalizing world it is quite common that friends and family live in other countries that yourself.

And as Paypal is pushing for Mars colonisation, they also want it to be quite common to have family and friends to live on other planets in the future.

Novalis wrote:
PayPal isn't a bank.
Of course it is a bank.
A bank? :shrug:

Usually you get some kind of interest on the money you got in a bank account.

Well that is where PayPal really is "special" ;)

Has anyone here tried alternative services such as Transferwise?

Is there no option in PP that lets you specify the amount to be received, rather than the amount to send? A simulator like that would be nice so that one knows before actually paying. It should also include any currency conversion fees.

Do you pick the option send to family and friends, or pay for goods and services when buying something on KVR? For the friend option it says it is free if I use my PP balance.

Yes I've used it a few times and can recommend it

Return to “Sell & Buy (+Special Offers, Deals & Promos)”