Atomic - still usable?

Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi there,
I'm looking for a step sequencer and am quit interested in atomic.
But is is still usable?
This forum seems to be quit silent, and Atomic is still on version 1.0, so there were no new releases meanwhile.
It had been developed with synthedit, and I've seen that a lot of VSTIs had to been touched as they got problems with actual hardware/operating systems.

So my main focus is Atomic's step sequencer for triggering other VSTIs in Reaper, can you recommend that?
I'm asking, because the demo version doesn't support Midi out, so I can't test it.
Thanks for reading, thanks for support
Thomas
..where the f*ck is my ...

Seems AM and Dr.Ambient have fallen silent again, hope all is with every one at AM and BK. :(

Yes still usable -- very usable.

Use it to quickly test instruments VSTs.

--Better late than never--- :)

Astrin wrote:Yes still usable -- very usable.

how do you get midi out to work? i'm on energy xt 1.4 it doesn't even show up as having a midi out but the plugin has a button for it.
"..What is simple, is simply seen.."

I don't know about EnergyXT but in Sonar when I load Atomic I set it send midi out. Then with the target synth you set it receive on the appropriate midi channel from Atomic. Then when you start Atomic and hit the little midi arrow both synths will play in synch.

nexussynth wrote:

how do you get midi out to work? i'm on energy xt 1.4 it doesn't even show up as having a midi out but the plugin has a button for it.

in atomic there is a button that's normally on -- keyboard -- make sure this is off, then click on midi out button, then click on energy's play control. atomic will output midi info so you can route that channel (1 is default) to midi in on a synth or other instrument vst. i know it works in ableton, but i don't know if i've tried it in energy.

:)
Trouble with beards is you're always smelling peanut butter.

nexussynth wrote:

midi out works only w/ the full version ...
not the demo ...

actually i was a little disappointed with the demo not having a midi out ( i really thought i would need it) and only fooled with it a few minutes, so i just forgot about this one for a long long time. i really did not know much about it at all.

i recently discovered the (actually almost fully functional in some regards) demo vsti on my hard drive and spent a day with it. i found the onboard synth is totally suited for the type of ambient music i like to do (think steve roach empetus) in fact much better than what i was using previously especially the sequencer/arp. this thing is fantastic! needless to say i bought it and am having much use for it

i hope this vsti gets more attention. i hope that maybe that might lead to further development but for the fact that it is quite developed already and quite stable (at least on my PC).

i would like to know if there are more presets available (maybe from other owners?)

I think the Atomic source died in a hard-disk crash, or pro recovery
was deemed too expensive. And then real tragedy and hardship.
Hopefully the AlgoMusic team will come back to new strength,
in their chosen paths. Tim would be greatly pleased.

Great great software, full of delightful
surprises! 8) Love Atomic midi driving hardware rack synths/romplers
Cheers

yes it's a shame that algomusic is in stasis after tim's passing, but surely there must be others who use atomic and have built up at least a single bank of presets they'd like to share?

nexussynth wrote:yes it's a shame that algomusic is in stasis after tim's passing, but surely there must be others who use atomic and have built up at least a single bank of presets they'd like to share?
I did a "just screwing around" (that means "clueless") :wink: quicky, when I first got it... :oops:

Scroll down to SDB-Atomic-TC-bank1

As I recall, there was a very limited number of presets, something like 16 or maybe 32, and I asked Tim if they would expand that number, to which he responded: "it was intentional, and hoped it would encourage/inspire LIVE playing/tweaking".

I got frustrated real quick, as I tend to "save" along the way, and felt overly restricted.

Great synth though. And the interface :love:
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

:( Tim was a great guy for the community, I still miss his contributions and wish he were around.

I beta tested Atomic and thought it was a very cool concept, but the thing I wanted to do was control the knobs with my hardware, unfortunately, it didn't have midi mapping for the virtual knobs. Tim was very receptive and wanted to get it to work for me, said he talked to Boris about it, said it should have been fixed, but the version I had still didn't work. Unfortunately he passed away before we got things ironed out and I'm not sure if that ever got resolved afterwards. I never bought it, but I'm curious if anyone knows if it got worked on any further. Specifically, does it have midi mapping for the virtual knobs for the step sequencer.

Other than that it seemed to work alright, as far as I remember.

toine6 wrote::( Tim was a great guy for the community, I still miss his contributions and wish he were around.

I beta tested Atomic and thought it was a very cool concept, but the thing I wanted to do was control the knobs with my hardware, unfortunately, it didn't have midi mapping for the virtual knobs... Specifically, does it have midi mapping for the virtual knobs for the step sequencer.

Other than that it seemed to work alright, as far as I remember.
That was an issue for me as well, and I am not at my apartment {{{delete-delete-delete}}} Studio, so can't confirm one way or another, but I don't think it was "fixed".
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

Shabdahbriah wrote:
nexussynth wrote:yes it's a shame that algomusic is in stasis after tim's passing, but surely there must be others who use atomic and have built up at least a single bank of presets they'd like to share?
I did a "just screwing around" (that means "clueless") :wink: quicky, when I first got it... :oops:

As I recall, there was a very limited number of presets, something like 16 or maybe 32, and I asked Tim if they would expand that number, to which he responded: "it was intentional, and hoped it would encourage/inspire LIVE playing/tweaking".

I got frustrated real quick, as I tend to "save" along the way, and felt overly restricted.

thanks! i only have a few sounds of my own in an empty bank i'm filling up very slowly.

i like the interface too but my old eyes have trouble with it sometimes.

i don't quite know what it is about this synth/sequencer but it is much more useable than others. :)

nexussynth wrote:
Shabdahbriah wrote:

thanks! i only have a few sounds of my own in an empty bank i'm filling up very slowly.

i like the interface too but my old eyes have trouble with it sometimes.

i don't quite know what it is about this synth/sequencer but it is much more useable than others. :)
YW :) ... nothing "special" there, but like I said, I wanted to have more pre's so I could "sequence" within the synth itself using its built-in sequencer obviously, which in itself I found rather quirky in an interesting way :? but 8) , and that can't happen with the limited number of presets... well, two or more 'instances' could be used, and set-up to play different banks, and/or the 'sequences' could be export/recorded into a multi-track sequencer, but still.

I love the interface by Boris K. >>> http://m-rgt.com/index.html

AND the "sound" ...mmm... yes, the sound. Organic, me thinks. :wink:

:hihi: my 'eyes' were "old" before DOS :)

Return to “AlgoMusic”