M42 ver 2 suggs

RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi all

This thread is suggs for version 2 of the M42 Nebula synth. There has been a lot of suggs scattered on the Instrument forum, but if we can get them all here, it would be better to see and discuss them.

Soo....POST AWAY!

TC
Last edited by tconrardy on Thu Jul 15, 2004 3:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

First, great to see a forum for the M42, it is a synth with such a neat and flexible (within the paradigm) sonic character. I find it very useful.

Mentioned this in an email, but will add it here :
Be good to see an update with working controller codes for all of the parameters ... which I'm sure your next version will have. Would be even better to get midi learn, though I gather its not implemented on SynthEdit synths, shame. Is this still true ?

Also, can the limit on OSC 2 samples/waveforms be raised ? Be great to have more than the 5 waveform categories, and more than 4 to switch between for each.

(Variety is the spice of life.)

And why not make OSC 1 and 2 the same -- the standard triange, saw, square, etc., but also the option of using the sample waveforms.
The Circular Ruins/Lammergeyer/Nunc Stans
www.dataobscura.com

I agree, with the parameters thingy, but, FruityLoops will do that. In fact, it may scare you what its capable of doing. Using 2 or more M42's in FL can be daunting, so I use Dashboards to control them, as far as sound patches, parameters, whatever. The results are incredible. I am a Jonn Serrie fan, noted for Space Music, this synth comes in very handy for just that. It would be nice to have more samples to use to make songs like Serrie's. I've tried adding some myself, but it doesn't work.

I've already mentioned this previously, but...

I think the Warp control should become a generic XY controller. I'd like to see X & Y become Modulation sources. Warp amount and Warp filter could become Mod destinations. I'd like a little more color in the UI.

http://wave.prohosting.com/jzero/m42suggest2.html

jzero wrote:I've already mentioned this previously, but...

I think the Warp control should become a generic XY controller. I'd like to see X & Y become Modulation sources. Warp amount and Warp filter could become Mod destinations.
Yes...good point. This will be implemented in the FX version as well. As a matter of fact that's the reason why it is not ready yet...

A couple of small things:

1. It would be nice to be able to directly select things like mod destinations, osc types etc. instead of cycling through them.

2. Buttons for stepping through the presets would be nice for hosts that don't provide these themselves.

3. It would also be nice to have a more flexible mod matrix that allowed each source to modify all of the possible mod destinations. So, instead of a simple toggle for each mod source -> dest pair there would be a 0-99 value. I don't know if this can be done without ruining performance but I'd like to be able to mod, say, pitch and cutoff at the same time with lfo.

kuniklo wrote:A couple of small things:

1. It would be nice to be able to directly select things like mod destinations, osc types etc. instead of cycling through them.

2. Buttons for stepping through the presets would be nice for hosts that don't provide these themselves.

3. It would also be nice to have a more flexible mod matrix that allowed each source to modify all of the possible mod destinations. So, instead of a simple toggle for each mod source -> dest pair there would be a 0-99 value. I don't know if this can be done without ruining performance but I'd like to be able to mod, say, pitch and cutoff at the same time with lfo.
1. Yes, I will change that. Then you can click on the 'leds' itself, no need for that button anymore. Saves GUI space as well!
2. Perhaps. Not sure if that's possible...
3. How about changing the vibrato LFO into a general purpose LFO? It's already a free running osc (not BPM synced). Would be nice for slow filter sweeps.

previously mentioned...

- some slower bpm lfo times (1 bar, 2 bars, 4 bars) would be helpfull
so could have longer synced sweeps, even when working at higher
bpms.

- add an option to choose whether the wave mod destination
controls the waveform type or the waveform bank number,
so we could pick whether we are "wavesequencing" between
different sound types or within the same type.

-ugo

DrAmbient wrote: 3. How about changing the vibrato LFO into a general purpose LFO? It's already a free running osc (not BPM synced). Would be nice for slow filter sweeps.
That would be useful. A few more modulation options overall would be nice but not essential.

I agree with many of the suggestions made here, M42 will improve very much if implemented.

In particular I vote for that one:
Also, can the limit on OSC 2 samples/waveforms be raised ? Be great to have more than the 5 waveform categories, and more than 4 to switch between for each.

And why not make OSC 1 and 2 the same -- the standard triange, saw, square, etc., but also the option of using the sample waveforms.

That ones, almost the last seems very easy (?) and will open some doors.

Also midi learn is one that I would like very much.

Thanks for a great synth.

"midi-learn" would be my most wanted feature of an upcoming version.

regards,
aetherwellen

A real minor nit I have; and for me the reason I hardly ever use the gate-route option is if the slider settings can be reversed, as with low settings the gate makes the sound barely audible, while if it would be reversed gating is slowly added.

aetherwellen wrote:"midi-learn" would be my most wanted feature of an upcoming version.

regards,
aetherwellen
Why? Can't your host provide that?

The X/Y assignable thing is a good idea from here..

Working on some patching at the moment and I realize I am missing something for the more fine-tuning of the filter-modulations:

Is it possible for to lets say when you touch the slider with a mouse button that the vallue of that setting becomes visible; and clicking the filterbox that the filtertypes become visible?

Seems a helpfull tool :)

How's about dotted rhythms for lfos and delays?

How's about more pulsar algorithm options?
Member 12, Studio One v6.5, VPS Avenger, Kontakt 7, Spitfire, Dune, Arturia, Sonible, Baby Audio, CableGuys, Nektar Panorama P1, Vaporizer 2 to test out

Return to “AlgoMusic”