M42 Programming

RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi all
Discuss on this thread any aspects of programming the M42 Nebula: ARPS, SEQ's Leads, ect. We like to hear your input. You can also postlinks to any sounds you create for others to check out ( even a FXP or two)

Hope to hear from all of you M42 Users!

Space is the place!

TC

Hi all

Don't see anything in this thread yet...so you guys understand SEQ and ARPs? How do you make your own sounds on M42? Inquiring nebula's want to know :-)

TC

Rather than jumping in to a specific section, I'd first like to see a block diagram of the synth so I can understand the signal flow. You could probably then expand that with explanations of what each section actually does and how to use it ... much like the tutorials you often see on subtractive synthesis. (waveform -> envelope -> filter -> etc)

I've played with synths since 1984 (20 years? gasp!) but I really don't have the first clue where to start with M42 because it's quite unlike any synth I've ever owned (and I mean that as a tremendous compliment btw). If the block diagram/explanation went in order from start to finish, building a sound from scratch so we could actually hear the difference each section makes, I think that would be a tremendous resource.

I hope that makes sense, I had surgery today and I'm still groggy.

Thanks,
G.

Gwydi wrote:Rather than jumping in to a specific section, I'd first like to see a block diagram of the synth so I can understand the signal flow. You could probably then expand that with explanations of what each section actually does and how to use it ... much like the tutorials you often see on subtractive synthesis. (waveform -> envelope -> filter -> etc)

I've played with synths since 1984 (20 years? gasp!) but I really don't have the first clue where to start with M42 because it's quite unlike any synth I've ever owned (and I mean that as a tremendous compliment btw). If the block diagram/explanation went in order from start to finish, building a sound from scratch so we could actually hear the difference each section makes, I think that would be a tremendous resource.

I hope that makes sense, I had surgery today and I'm still groggy.

Thanks,
G.
Hi G...thats a good suggestion. I will work on a flow diagram. Since each synth is the same as far as "modules" one diagram will be needed. Thanks for the idea! Get back to you soon.

TC

I'm working with Tim & the Doc on a graphic diagram schematic even as we speak.

With a little luck the rest of you will be confused as I am :shock:

Sickle = :idiot:

Now where was I..oh yeah..

ABC,123,LFO,LSD,DCO,LZBYN,DCA,GOP,PCP,VCO,NBC.............

this is probably a stupid question (or maybe I'm just doing something realy stupid and wrong) but here goes..

the LFOs (and/or pulsars) don't seem to reset, they always have a different starting point and it makes synchronising a pain. I've tried everything but to no avail.. I can never predict how the rhythms will go when bouncing down tracks, they seems to be completely random

I'm using cubase sl 2 on pc
My other host is Bruce Forsyth

spaceman wrote:this is probably a stupid question (or maybe I'm just doing something realy stupid and wrong) but here goes..

the LFOs (and/or pulsars) don't seem to reset, they always have a different starting point and it makes synchronising a pain. I've tried everything but to no avail.. I can never predict how the rhythms will go when bouncing down tracks, they seems to be completely random

Not a stupid question...but a real STUMPING one for me! To be honest, I don't know if the cycle on the LFO's and Pulsar start again when you hit a key. It may be a continous cycle. Perhaps something to put on Ver 2 list. Maybe the DR can shed some light on this? DR ?

I do know you have to play in time to the rytym when you do chords..and it actually takes a bit of practice to get it right so everything will be synced..just like playing any instrument.
TC

tconrardy wrote:
spaceman wrote:this is probably a stupid question (or maybe I'm just doing something realy stupid and wrong) but here goes..

Not a stupid question...but a real STUMPING one for me! To be honest, I don't know if the cycle on the LFO's and Pulsar start again when you hit a key. It may be a continous cycle. Perhaps something to put on Ver 2 list. Maybe the DR can shed some light on this? DR ?

I do know you have to play in time to the rytym when you do chords..and it actually takes a bit of practice to get it right so everything will be synced..just like playing any instrument.
TC

WHAT?!?!?!? :shock:
you mean I actually have to play my keyboard!??!? :o
:lol:

I tend to use it in situation where I can fade in an audio track (bounced) so that I can sync it however I want too.. so it's not a disaster

but it would safe time and effort if the LFOs reset themselves

i can see a need for re-setting the LFO
cycle , but i also enjoy the random factor , and what it brings ...

perhaps a switch ...
reset / or / free ...

normal wrote:i can see a need for re-setting the LFO
cycle , but i also enjoy the random factor , and what it brings ...

perhaps a switch ...
reset / or / free ...

You bring up a good point Normal in that the sound is somewhat "random" and algorithmic , which adds a special flavour and surprise to the sound. While it's good to be in total control, it's nice to be surprised once in a while which can lead to serindipities: one of the main things I like about this synth!It never ceases to surprise you at times. 8)

But..A switch would be good..I know: A vurt Switch! from unvurtness to vurt :lol: :shock:

TC

tconrardy wrote: But..A switch would be good..I know: A vurt Switch! from unvurtness to vurt :lol: :shock:
TC
vurt will be pleased to know in addition to being a new genre, he's now a synth parameter.

bluedad wrote:
tconrardy wrote: But..A switch would be good..I know: A vurt Switch! from unvurtness to vurt :lol: :shock:
TC
vurt will be pleased to know in addition to being a new genre, he's now a synth parameter.

and a cereal flavour :-o

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :shock: 8)

someone outta PM vurt on this! I am ROLLING! :hyper: :roll:

:-o youll have the naysayers dissing the synth if it has my name on it!
and spaceman you should know better show people you have your own ideas :lol:

spaceman should know to whom i refer :wink:

cool so ill have a button :hyper:

vurt wrote: spaceman should know to whom i refer :wink:

I should, shouldn't I.. but.. :?

Return to “AlgoMusic”