Cloning Receptor HHD to Samsung 840 EVO series SSD

RELATED
PRODUCTS

The Samsung 840 EVO Series has built in cloning/migration software with a USB adaptor ; is there any way to just use this for cloning the Receptor drive?
Rankonfile
| Forte 3 | BloXpander | Cubase 7
Plugins used : NI Komplete 8 | Halion 5 | OrangeTreeSamples instruments | Omnisphere | SynthMaster 2.6 | Tone 2 Saurus | Lounge Lizard EP-4 | Stylus RMX - etc.

For older Muse OS's (prior to 2.0) - and assuming you have a similar size source disk, (ie. that you don't need to mess around with partition sizes -- it is possible to clone.

For later OS's, Receptor comes with a built-in backup. The OS is tied to a given machine by a serial number. Check with Muse Research about this.

Hope this helps,
Kevin

looneytunes wrote:
For later OS's, Receptor comes with a built-in backup. The OS is tied to a given machine by a serial number. Check with Muse Research about this.

Hope this helps,
Kevin
Thanks for your response. Will do.
I thought the Backup was just data but not an image of the whole drive.
I'll definitely look in to it again.
Basically, I just want to replace the drive with an SSD, but have everything intact just as it is. Then, Do it again with another SSD drive to have as a backup.
Rankonfile
| Forte 3 | BloXpander | Cubase 7
Plugins used : NI Komplete 8 | Halion 5 | OrangeTreeSamples instruments | Omnisphere | SynthMaster 2.6 | Tone 2 Saurus | Lounge Lizard EP-4 | Stylus RMX - etc.

Just a word of caution for all you Receptor users interested in home-brew drive mods: The EVO drives use TLC technology, and the seminar I went to was anything but encouraging about its ability to hold up to high read and write cycle applications. A far better choice is the 840 PRO series drive, which is what we use inside Receptor when it is ordered with the SSD. We do not recommend TLC drive technology for use in Receptor, especially if you are using a lot of streaming samples. And of course, we're compelled to state that if you choose to replace the drive with anything other than a drive that came from Muse Research, your on your own, we can't support it, there is no warranty, etc. etc.

Bryan

So, this would be the right one to consider:

http://www.microcenter.com/product/4026 ... _Drive_SSD

Does anybody know exactly how to clone the drive?

I'm also interested, but can we clone a 750GB HDD to a 512Gb SSD for receptor ?

Supposedly there are some cloning programs that allow you to go from one size drive to another. Don't know where to point you, and let us know if you have success!

Bryan

This method works. Cloned the Receptor's internal drive to a smaller SSD by following this tutorial. (Ignore the windows stuff).
Read this as well.

Thanks to Meestor_X and the two links he has posted above, I’ve been able to move my OS 2.01 from my Receptor 2 pro original drive (Seagate 750Gb HDD) to a brand new Samsung 512Gb 850pro SSD. So if you want to try, begin by the reading of those two documents.
Here I'm trying to write a kind of "how to" considering that my first tries has failed and that I've had to face some problems that some of you might encounter.
Of course I can't provide any warranty that it will work for you, you're at your own risks.

What do you need ?
- Three drives : the original Receptor drive, the SSD and a third drive with enough free space to host the cloning files (in my case, 204Gb + 202Gb was required, but it depend on the free space on your original Receptor Drive)
- Clonezilla live and Gparted live : those are two programs that you must burn on two CD since they are bootable. You can’t run them on Windows, you need to boot from the CD.
- I recommend to use an old computer or one that you don’t use every day because the entire process is very long and will immobilize the computer. This computer doesn’t need a valid OS as we boot from Clonezilla or Gparted. I’ve used an old laptop with the drives plugged in USB and it was very slow. A desktop computer where you can plug the 3 drives with SATA connectors might be a lot faster.

1) Make sure you have a backup of you original Receptor drive. If a problem occured, you need to be able to restore your drive to its original state.
Just a word to say that like some of you, I’ve made a backup with the Backup ability of the Receptor 2.01 OS (on a Seagate 1To drive, as recommended by Muse), but when I try to restore it to my original drive it has failed and the backup was lost. I open a ticket at plugorama for this and they say that it’s very rare… Now you’re aware that it may arrive.
So I advise you to make this initial backup using clonezilla with the disk to image function (choose “savedisk”). With USB, it took about 8 hours for my 750Gb HDD, clonezilla compress the data to 204Gb (my Receptor original drive had about 400Gb of free space)

2) Resizing the partitions to fit in a smaller SSD using Gparted and cloning the drive to the SSD using Clonezilla :
Your Receptor drive should have 3 partitions, this is the size of my original drive partitions, displayed by the main window of GParted :
1st : 101.94MiB
2nd : 3.93GiB
3rd : 693GiB
On my first attempt, I’ve only resized the large partition to 473Gib (it took about 6 hours) so that the 3 partitions can fit in the SSD. Here I’ve checked that the drive was still usable in my Receptor : no problem, receptor boot normally. Then I’ve made an image of those three partitions with Clonezilla (8hours)
Next, according to the first document linked above by Meestor_X, I set the three partitions of my SSD to be the same. Problem is that Gparted don’t let us set the first partition to 101.94MiB, it can be either 101MiB or 102MiB. So of course I choose 102MiB. I finally restore the three partitions to my SSD (8hours). And when I put the SSD inside the Receptor, it says : “Missing operating system”. It was impossible to boot from my SSD.
I’ve talked with Meestor_X, and doing the same he has had no problem. It worked for him (OS 1.9), it don’t for me (OS 2.01).
So here is what I’ve been obliged to do :
Each of the three SSD partitions MUST HAVE EXACTLY THE SAME SIZE AND THE SAME PARTITION STARTING OFFSET as the original drive: to be sure, in GParted, right click on a partition and choose “information” then look at the three lines on the bottom right : First sector , last sector, and Total sector must be exactly the same on you original drive and on the SSD for each partition.
To do so, you need to move each partition of the original drive, like describe on the second document linked above (they talk about the SSD, but we do it on the original HDD drive), I quote it :
Start up Gparted and find your SSD in the upper-right dropdown menu. Select it, and click on your first partition in the menu. Hit the Resize/Move button in the toolbar. Change the "Free Space Preceding" box to 2MB, uncheck "Round to Cylinders", and hit "Resize/Move". (If you're using a newer live CD, check the "MiB" box). Hit Apply once and let it do its thing.
Now hit Resize/Move again, and change the "Free Space Preceding" box to 1MB. Uncheck "Round to Cylinders" again, hit Resize/Move, then click Apply. Now your drive will be aligned to exactly 2048 blocks after the beginning of the disk, which allows for optimal SSD performance. Note that if you have multiple partitions on your SSD, you'll need to repeat this process for each partition, not just the first one on the disk.
Yes, moving it 2MB away then moving it back 1MB seems like a long, roundabout method, but Gparted measures space in a weird way. When you first start up Gparted, your partition will have less than 1MB of space preceding it, but Gparted will only measure it as 0-meaning if you align it to 1MB right off the bat, it'll keep the drive annoyingly misaligned at 1.03MB. If you set it to 2MB, hit Apply, and then move it back to 1MB, it works fine.

This process is fast for the two small partitions but can take up to 12 hours for the large one. The good news is that this disk is now perfectly aligned for an optimized SSD functioning. I finally have my first partition to be resized to 100MiB, the second to 4000MiB (displayed 3,91MiB in Gparted main window) and the third to 484280MiB ((displayed 372.93MiB in Gparted main window)
Check that this drive still boot in your Recpetor and then save its three partitions on your third drive with clonezilla by choosing "saveparts" and by ticking your 3 partitions (8 hours, 202Gb in my case)
Now that those three partitions are aligned, you’re able to set your three SSD partitions to have the exact same size and partition starting offset. Don't forget to set the Flag of the first partition (Gparted must display "boot" on this partition) If you've forgot, don't worry you could do that later (right click on the partition and choose "Manage flag"). Set also the Label of each partition to be the same (not sure it's required but it take one minute). Then restore the three partitions to the SSD with clonezilla by choose "restoreparts" (8 hours !).
And hopefully, it should work !

Hi thx for the inf.

I used unetbootin before muse released the new os with backup function.

http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

Simply download it from the site there are versions for mac win and linux.

Install it onto a usb memory stick using ultra iso or something Choose the "parted magic" distro when it askes what you want to install.

Just plug the stick into your receptor and use F10 or F11 to get into the receptors boot menue.

When unetbootin has started you can use ghost for linux to clone the main drive .No need to mess about with resizing partitions etc.Ghost will clone the whole drive no probs as long as the target drive is the same size or slightly larger than the source drive.
If you are cloning to a biger drive use parted magic to extend the drive size after the clone is done or you wont get access to the whole drive.

I havent used unetbootin since muse released the backup option.
i have 2 receptors that i gig allot iuse the backup function that is bult into the os.
I did have to buy 2 separate upgrades with separate seriel numbers that was anoying .
But now i can backup and restore between the 2 units with absolutley no probs.it is also possible to boot the machine using the backup so it can be tested so you knowe you have a good clone.
The initial backup takes a while depending on if you are using the usb interface or the sata interface.I opened up both my units and put a sata cable in each of them for backup purposes.
After the first backup you can choose only to backup changes since last backup so its very quick normaly 5 minutes or so.
//Andy

andym63 wrote:When unetbootin has started you can use ghost for linux to clone the main drive .No need to mess about with resizing partitions etc.Ghost will clone the whole drive no probs as long as the target drive is the same size or slightly larger than the source drive.
If you are cloning to a bigger drive use parted magic to extend the drive size after the clone is done or you wont get access to the whole drive.
Just so anyone reading this thread is clear, the method I and Sylvain used is because of the need to resize the partitions to fit on an SSD that is smaller than the drive installed in the Receptor. As you say, if you're cloning to a drive of equal or larger size than the drive inside the Receptor, the process is MUCH easier.

Slightly different than Sylvain's method, I used the Receptor itself to do all the work rather than another computer, attaching backup drives to the Receptor via USB. Probably the slowest possible way to do things. ;-)

andym63 wrote:

it is also possible to boot the machine using the backup so it can be tested so you knowe you have a good clone.

//Andy
I too was able to boot from my Backup drive (made with Receptor) before trying to restore it to the original drive. I can tell you that it's not a warranty that you have a good clone.
Mine looked perfect, I've launched the Restore process, it seems to finish normally by syncing all the files, but at the end it just has finished with "FAILED". That's all, and my backup was lost...
You're free to trust the backup made with your Receptor, but me, I will not trust it anymore.

scarry !
I must have backed up and restored abou 100 times by now nothing has ever gone wrong for me .I do have a copy of the original disk made with ghost just incase though.i also backup my presets and vst folders to my pc.
//andy

Wow, what are you doing with receptor to need to restore it 100 times ?

andym63 wrote: I do have a copy of the original disk made with ghost just incase though.i also backup my presets and vst folders to my pc.
//andy
I think this is careful.

Lol i play in a few bands and i use 2 units both are in my rack.Both have samsung 840 pro ssd,s in them both are clones of eachother I use the units old drives to make backups of the internal drives on both units.
When i change something on my main unit whitch happens allot i just swap disks and restore the changes to the other unit.it saves me time and ensures i have a backup .I have similar hardware in both units The os dosent seem to bothered about hardware linux is good like that.The only thing i have to do is to make shure i imput the correct seriel nr so the respective units can run in rack mode in order to restore or backup (muse make you buy separate upgrades you cant use The same one on separate units)
//Andy

Return to “Muse Research and Development”