What happened to Solid State Drive?

RELATED
PRODUCTS

Reality check...

I have the ability to let my internal hard drive go to sleep on my Receptor (I am running aMusing Replacer) and I am sorry to report that the internal fans are generating most of the noise. This means that you will not see the noise reduction you are hoping for.

You will have a 'slight' reduction in db noise, but hardly noticeable IMO. I am looking into some liquid cooling myself...I will let you know.

JR

johnrule wrote:You will have a 'slight' reduction in db noise, but hardly noticeable IMO. I am looking into some liquid cooling myself...I will let you know.

JR
I think you'll have a difficult time with such a small 2U case getting liquid cooling components inside. My DAW is liquid cooled and silent as the grave, but I've still got barely enough room inside of the pump and reservoir inside the mid size tower as it is. If you pull it off I'll be very impressed (and want pictures!) but I'd hate for you to go down that road without a friendly warning...

Good on ya for pushing forward though!

projektio

projektio wrote:
johnrule wrote:You will have a 'slight' reduction in db noise, but hardly noticeable IMO. I am looking into some liquid cooling myself...I will let you know.

JR
I think you'll have a difficult time with such a small 2U case getting liquid cooling components inside. My DAW is liquid cooled and silent as the grave, but I've still got barely enough room inside of the pump and reservoir inside the mid size tower as it is. If you pull it off I'll be very impressed (and want pictures!) but I'd hate for you to go down that road without a friendly warning...

Good on ya for pushing forward though!

projektio
This company will custom engineer...albeit for a price. Maybe they will provide a price break if enough people are interested. However, the stock cooler 'might' fit with modifications. If it is really an atrocity I will also let you know!

JR

Why not build the unit into a seperate rack unit, and rack it above or below?

Can an SSD be fitted into a Receptor 1 (rev B) ?
Kurzweil PC3x, Muse Receptor, Nord G2 Modular, Mellotron M400, Nord Electro, Korg Triton, Yamaha Motif Rack ES, Roland D50, Korg Prophecy, Korg MS10, Logan String Synth

ndurant wrote:Can an SSD be fitted into a Receptor 1 (rev B) ?
Unfortunately, the REv B units are not SATA compliant, and pretty much all the SSDs out there are SATA.

If you want, we can get you a really low cost upgrade to a Rev C, and that would run a SATA SSD with 1.8 on it...

And of course you are always able to upgrade to the latest hardware and that of course is designed to run the SSDs...

Bryan

Hey people,

I know, this thread is pretty old, but I recently bought a receptor 1 Rev. C and I want to upgrade it with a SSD.
Does it matter, which SSD I will use? Do I need to put my eye on something special when buying a SSD, which runs in the receptor? How about Crucial M4 for example?

Thanks,
Chris

Talk to the guys at Muse Research.
You can do it yourself, but at least get your info from the people that make it.
JV

christianlaptop wrote:Hey people,

I know, this thread is pretty old, but I recently bought a receptor 1 Rev. C and I want to upgrade it with a SSD.
Does it matter, which SSD I will use? Do I need to put my eye on something special when buying a SSD, which runs in the receptor? How about Crucial M4 for example?

Thanks,
Chris
It matters A LOT which SSD you use. To sum it up, you get what you pay for. The lower cost drives, and I'm afraid that Crucial qualifies as such, are typically using much lower grade NAND cells with less sophisticated wear-leveling algorithms. Will they work? Yes. Will they last and be reliable? No.

What most people don't realize about FLASH memory is that it is by no means permanent. Each time you read a bit, it causes the cell to "wear", but not very much. Each time you write to a cell, you cause it to wear as well and to a much larger extent. Through time, the cells lose their ability to hold charge (which is what the data is stored as) and the logic in the drive can no longer distinguish between a 1 and a 0. Depending on the drive you choose, the aging of a cell could happen after 2000 writes, or after 10,000 writes.

As a result, we've tried many of the low cost drives and have given them a miss because they just don't hold up well. We are using only Samsung and Intel "server class" drives which easily cost 2X as much, but this is what professional musicians expect, and we don't like hearing from people at a soundcheck telling us their unit won't boot...

Since you have a Rev C, you could easily mount the SSD inside the unit and use the main drive as a back up, and as long as you aren't playing for the President at Carnegie hall, you'll probably be okay. But speaking bluntly, you won't see that grade of drive in any Receptor we sell because of what I've explained above.

And finally, in deference to the litiguous world in which we live, any modifications you do to your Receptor including installing third party drives are done at your own risk and carry no warranties from Muse Research expressed or implied. In other words, you're on your own!

Bryan

Any updates on new SSD's for Receptor products?
I'm in a Qu4ttro now, and am really wanting more than a 512GB SSD.
It seems rather strange to me, that there isn't more interest, demand and marketing for this.
What's the story?
JV

I just received my Quattro with a solid state drive (I have been using receptors of each of the different revisions for years now). I am blown away by the read speed of the unit. A full 3 gig snapshot that uses 16 channels (mostly kontatk with a couple battery) that takes 44 seconds to load on the 2 Pro Max loads in 15 seconds on the Quattro. One instance of kontakt in the new rack mode running something fairly big like the New York Grand loads nearly instantaneously.
It's hard to debate the financial merits when talking about performance as the main goal. I know Muse chose these particular drives for consistency and longevity, not price.

What size SSD do you have?
I'm not debating the price - at all!
I think I need more than a 512GB drive, and there's no option available.
In fact, it's not easy to find ANY information on the SSD's they do offer - I'm happy to pay.

I'm a little disappointed in the load speed when not operating in 'Live Mode'; and in 'Live Mode', try going backwards more than 3 songs...
JV

I have a 512. I don't anticipate needing more than that, and I do run some fairly big libraries. 512 gb is really a lot of sample action. There aren't really a lot of other files on the receptor taking up space, and I don't really create files other than presets, so 512 seems to represent something very different than the hard drive space I need on my studio or office computers.

Just as an FYI to anyone who might be interested, I FINALLY got around to making a backup clone of my Receptor2 Pro Classic 2TB internal HDD. The price for a Seagate HYBRID drive (8GB SSD and 2TB HDD) was about the same as a standard drive and I figured since the Receptor OS and my standard LIVE MODE soundbanks all fit on to the 2GB RAM I have, the 8GB of solid state storage would be sufficient to see some improvement in POWER UP and PLAY times.

The Hybrid drive uses Adaptive Technology, basically looking at what you normally pull from the drive, and attempts to keep most of that in the 8GB SSD portion for quicker access. In my case, this is OS bootup and LIVE sound bank, which are well under 8GB.
Here are the results;

Standard Drive: 55 seconds from power on to playable sound, 45 additional seconds to load entire LIVE MODE sound bank.

Hybrid drive: 38 Seconds from power on to playable sound, 34 additional seconds to load entire LIVE MODE sound bank.

I imagine a true SSD drive would be faster in these benchmarks and even FASTER for loading banks that you don't normally load, or are too big for your onboard RAM (like instruments that stream audio from disk), but since a 2TB SSD is way out of my price range, I am happy that I have shaved off a decent portion of my bootup time for the cost of a backup drive that I really should've had to begin with.

HI gang

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND that you AVOID low cost SSDs for this application I went to a couple of seminars about these things, and they very widely in performance and lifetime.

As a result, we use ONLY Samsung PRO series drives. NOT the EVO series, which are "consumer grade". A lot of people buy using price as the only factor, and this is a path to disaster for something like a drive.

If you have a newer OS, converting to an SSD can be as easy as using the backup utility to back up on to an SSD and then swapping that out with the main drive (although it will still recognize this as a backup drive).

Even better is to get a small, high-quality cloner and clone your main drive over to an SSD. Only caveat is that the SSD needs to be at least as big as the main drive, or the clone will fail.

SSDs are really great, and I highly recommend them, but the fact is they are not perfect technology. Any drive can get corrupted by shutting a system down incorrectly, and believe it or not, ALL SSD manufacturers recommend powering up your system (doesn't matter what it is) every couple of months or so to "refresh" the charge on the drive cells.

A lot of people think that FLASH memory is permanent. It is not!!! A NAND flash cell is basically a tiny capacitor with a small amount of charge. Over time, that charge can "leak out" and your data will be corrupt. Usually it takes a couple of years for actual data destruction to occur, but all those Flash SD cards you have in that bottom drawer with Aunty Jane's Wedding pictures on it? Through time that data will disintegrate!

So SSDs are great in Receptor… they are fast, they are quiet, they are immune to shock during touring. But they do do require some occasional powering up to guarantee data integrity, and you do NOT want to trust your data to a cheap, off-brand drive. I do not and would not use anything but Samsung PRO series drives in a Receptor, with the possible exception of an Intel SSD drive (which are even more expensive).

All the best

Bryan

Return to “Muse Research and Development”