MuseOS 2.0

RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've just seen the announcement of MuseOS 2.0 for Receptor 2+ Pro/Max models....anyone know when this will be available, and if it will support all the current Receptor OS features?

http://www.kvraudio.com/news/17969

Neil
Kurzweil PC3x, Muse Receptor, Nord G2 Modular, Mellotron M400, Nord Electro, Korg Triton, Yamaha Motif Rack ES, Roland D50, Korg Prophecy, Korg MS10, Logan String Synth

That sounds pretty cool. Can't wait to try it out!

Fedde

Will the new GUI work on a Receptor 2 Pro Max (non-plus)?
Anyone have a link to a screenshot?

I am also wondering if 2.0 will work with Receptor 2 models. The press release is not very clear in this regard.

Hey, they abandoned Receptor rev a, b, c users already at 1.8... i'm rather peeved about that. i don't know if i even want to know what the 2.0 improvements are because i'll never be able to use them.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Hi everyone,

Wow - I think I have to give a 'Meh' to this interface 'improvement'. Sorry to be negative here, but what is really being improved by putting the -MuseBox interface on top of Receptor? My Receptor is already 'easy' enough to use without a (more space consuming, graphical Drag 'n Drop) interface that is more visually cluttered than the original interface.

Besides this, there really is nothing new. No support for newer hardware. No support for eLicenser, no support for MIDI plugins, No support for macro controls (eg multiple UI controls affected by single CC messages), no MIDI support for controller learning (a la Apple Mainstage), No support for preset/multi chaining, No support for scalable controllers (eg bounded CC values for assigned CC controllers), No support for CC's to control preset/multi increment/decrement, No support of performances and scenes (as in Attributes showing Scene/Song name, Key, next scene, previous scene), no Midi-Clock values saved as part of a preset, No native arpeggiator/step-sequencer/Midi-file player, ..........

Really, there is so much that could be added to the SW and interface to make this a very powerful box for performers -- and simply adding D'n'D capability on icons really doesn't improve anything for me.

Humbly disappointed,
Kevin L

TWB121234 wrote:I am also wondering if 2.0 will work with Receptor 2 models. The press release is not very clear in this regard.
I certainly hope so ... not because of the 2.0 features per se, but so that Receptor 2's (and 2+'s) can be supported in the future (as new plugins emerge).

As some have mentioned here, leaving the Rev C users "stuck in time" at 1.7 is not a good thing ... it would be very disheartening to have a user-base of Receptor 2 users in the same boat with 1.9.

Speaking of which, it does seem odd that MuseOS2.0 came out only weeks after 1.9 was released. I cannot think of anything in the 2+ models that would preclude MuseOS2.0 from being used in a Receptor 2 model (only faster CPU and increased disk). After all, they have used the same OS (1.8 and 1.9) all along.

Muse - could you please clarify? Thanks!!!
Regards,

David O'Hearn

If Muse were to continue to upgrade the OS for an out-of-date product beyuond its life cycle like Rev A, B or C, I would be disappointed in their business strategy. The object of the game is to get customers and prospects to buy new products. This goes without saying and is a universal business practice. Yes, we all know we want support for our Receptors, but it is just not profitable or prudent to expect Muse to provide enhanced GUIs etc. for an outdated processor that can't handle the load. It's time to stop beating the dead horse and move on. If you bought a 1965 Mustang, would you still expect Ford to provide updates to it to keep it campatible with today's automotive expectations?

Just to be clear, there was no intent in my post to complain in any way whether or not 2.0 will work on regular Receptor 2 units. I was just seeking the information as the press release was not clear. If Receptor 2's are at the end of their software life, so be it. I will simply decide whether or not I want to upgrade my hardware to stay current, or just be happy with what I've got.

It should be noted that Muse does provide an upgrade path for all Receptor owners. I upgraded my Rev C to a Receptor 2 Pro. It's been terrific. I skipped the 2+ last year as my current Receptor runs what I need just fine so far.

Is that '65 Mustang a convertible? I don't think I'd need an upgrade for that :-)

looneytunes wrote:Hi everyone,

Besides this, there really is nothing new. No support for newer hardware. No support for eLicenser, no support for MIDI plugins, No support for macro controls (eg multiple UI controls affected by single CC messages), no MIDI support for controller learning (a la Apple Mainstage), No support for preset/multi chaining, No support for scalable controllers (eg bounded CC values for assigned CC controllers), No support for CC's to control preset/multi increment/decrement, No support of performances and scenes (as in Attributes showing Scene/Song name, Key, next scene, previous scene), no Midi-Clock values saved as part of a preset, No native arpeggiator/step-sequencer/Midi-file player, ..........

Humbly disappointed,
Kevin L
Kevin,
Thanks for laying out the functional improvement list so clearly! These are the kinds of usability expansions that I would be willing to pay for in an upgrade.

Muse, Is the Receptor 2 Pro Max a dead horse?

looneytunes wrote:Hi everyone,

Actually, Kevin, we have some good news for you: there are some substantial new features in the software! Unfortunately I think the press release was lacking in detail. In the interest of clarifying, let me list out some of the new features that the press release didn't mention specifically:

New Hardware: An integral part of this new OS is support for the Receptor VIP hardware. Though I'm not sure if that's what you were hinting at...

Macro Controls: The new MIDI learn system in 2.0 is flexible enough to allow 1 CC to control multiple parameters!

CCs to control preset inc/dec: This has also been added! BONUS: you can assign a CC to inc dec multi banks as well.

I realize there are quite a few on your list that we still haven't implemented... I'll just say this: when the first Receptor interface was released in (1.0) it was missing a lot of the features users have come to know and love today.

So Kevin, how do we get our little paws on release 2.0?

I wonder if some of these extra features will be available using the original "classic" user interface? Or for example if you can set up MIDI learn stuff on 2.0 and then use it with the original interface.

In the screenshot from the original article (http://www.kvraudio.com/news/17969) it looks like it's only practical to get four plugins on the screen without scrolling, so maybe not as usable in live situations with lots of plugins. And when working on sounds/setups I often have 7-8 plugin channels running and find myself glancing at the Receptor interface to see which channel VU meters are responding when I play various zones on my master keyboard - I can't help thinking I'll miss that (needing to scroll to see). Makes me realise how well designed the original interface was/is, despite it maybe not looking so slick by today's standards. I do hope those big "rack" units are vertically collapsable to just show plugin, bank, patch, volume, mute and meter, to allow at least 8 on screen at once.

It looks like a nice polished, modern-looking user interface, borrowing ideas from Kontakt and its ilk, but I can't help wondering if it'll be a step back in terms of mission-critical usability. I would imagine the typical use cases for something like Kontakt and something like a Receptor are quite different - studio tweaking vs live/rehearsal use.

Either way, great to see Muse Research pushing forward in one form or another, and with new hardware.
Kurzweil PC3x, Muse Receptor, Nord G2 Modular, Mellotron M400, Nord Electro, Korg Triton, Yamaha Motif Rack ES, Roland D50, Korg Prophecy, Korg MS10, Logan String Synth

Not to hijack the thread, but has 2.0 giving us the opportunity to set a channel to receive on multiple MIDI channels? EG: I instantiate Omnisphere on Receptor Channel 5 and then want Omnisphere to receive only on MIDI channels 4,7 and 8.
Last edited by PhilMuller on Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Muse Research and Development”