Receptor 2 Noob Needs some guidance?

Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello all,
I have just acquired Receptor 2 used for cheap (green one) with "Komplete inside" Logo on the front.

Since this machine doesn't have anything inside except some crappy sounds and some demos, I plan to erase everything and install KOMPLETE8 and OMNISPHERE

First, I wanted to make sure if all of this was possible???

Second, I wanted to know if you can upgrade maximum RAM on this thing and Max out the Hard Drive?

I know this is going to be at least full day of work, but just wanted to make sure it is doable...

I am all ready. My experience includes years of playing classical music, building PC's Hackintoshes, assembling audio electronics and so on...

This device specs are:
System Version 1.9.20111221
Hardware Version: Receptor 2
Memory Free: 4G Total
HD: 320 GB
Dual Core Mode: Enabled (is this a dual processor?)

it seems that I can't find the specs anywhere...

Please if anyone can get me started to a right direction I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you!
Receptor 2, UA Apollo, MB PRO, Mac Pro,...

RAM is already maxed. It's a 32-bit OS, so you're not going to get any more performance out of any more RAM.

Hard drive... well, you'd have to clone the drive that's there, as there's no installable image delivered. I'll bow out and leave that to someone here who has already done it. Possible a drive duplicator could make it work.

You can absolutely install Omnisphere on that OS, including patches. It's detailed on the Plugorama site. It's tedious, but you only have to do it once :-). Note that there are some GUI glitches, but if not actually programming sounds via the Omnisphere GUI on the Receptor, it won't be a headache.

I've installed parts of Komplete 5 and Komplete 7 with no issues.

Thanks for the reply!

Drive duplicatior... I will research into that.

I am wondering what is the biggest HD that can go into Receptor 2...

I have Komplete 4 and was wondering if I should upgrade to Komplete 8 so that I can put it there?

I also have EAST-WEST orchestral...I am not sure if it is worth putting it there...

rokus666 wrote: I am wondering what is the biggest HD that can go into Receptor 2...
I have a 1GB drive in my Receptor 2 Pro Max.
rokus666 wrote: I have Komplete 4 and was wondering if I should upgrade to Komplete 8 so that I can put it there?
Depends on your upgrade price and what you're using in Komplete 4. With Omnisphere on there + Reaktor, Pro53, Absynth, and FM8 from Komplete 4, you have a metric ton of synth power on there. Absynth 5 isn't a compelling reason to upgrade to Komplete 8.

B4II is a nice organ emulation (not available after Komplete 5, btw). If you do a lot of organ work, VB3 is very affordable and is widely regarded as the best.

If you're planning on using sample libraries, well, you'll want a newer version of Komplete. Komplete 8 also gives you the Scarbee EPs and some refinements to the acoustic pianos. Whether this is worth it to you depends on what you are doing.

That's sort of a rambling response, but I hope it helps.
rokus666 wrote: I also have EAST-WEST orchestral...I am not sure if it is worth putting it there...
Only if they are the Kontakt Libraries. The PLAY engine doesn't work on Receptor (yet).

Hopkihc,

Thanks so much,

I actually Have EW Play with 750GB Samples...So putting it in there would kill the poor Receptor machine...

Good Idea to go with Komplete 4 on the older Receptor2 and Omnisphere... by the way I love B4 and Pro 53!

I have a good MB Pro/Desktop Fukitoshh for EW Play anyways...

So receptor will give me some extra sounds instantly available and portable...Looking forward to it.

I am not sure what are the differences between Receptor2 and Pro Max, but I assume I could put 1TB drive in it ???

This all seems a bit complicated, but I'll give it a shot.

I will buy 1TB hard drive and attempt to clone the drive using PC software...

I'm also a Receptor noob (just bought a green Receptor 2 from ebay that's still in the mail). I'm comfortable working under the hood on computer hardware (I once replace the MoBo in my wife's MacBook), so I'm up for upgrading whatever I can on this puppy.

1. What do I have to do to put in a SATA drive? How large will its OS/BIOS accept?
2. What CPUs can I swap in? Can I put in a dual core to replace the single core it has?

I plan to run Komplete 8 & Omnisphere.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or links!

I think these are the specs:
Receptor 2 Standard
CPU: AMD Athlon 1640
RAM: 4 Gb
HDD: 250 Gb

So I guess I would have to stick with an AMD Athlon?

Return to “Muse Research and Development”