Updating K8 on 2.01

Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Komplete 14 RECEPTOR 2

I tried updating my K8 installation under 1.9 and it failed miserably, so I'm still running the original release of all of the VSTs. Has anyone tried updating under 2.01?

I have just upgraded my Receptor O/S to the latest released version 2.0.1 from 1.9 and I still can't do the updates either so I am also stuck with the original version of all the VSTs.

For example I am trying to update Guitar Rig 5 to the latest version.

I can still run the NI Service Center from the older mixer interface and it is able to download the Komplete 8 updates but it can't install them.

I tried putting the update executable in the "Drop Installers Here" folder and doing a manual installation but it errors out saying that it needs Windows 7 to run.

Do I need to install everything in Windows 7 and copy the files over or something? The problem is that I am running 64bit Windows 7 so the installation there is 64 bit and the updates would likely be 64 bit as well. I think the Receptor 2 needs a 32 bit version of the installation.

Has anyone successfully done these updates? What is the recommended process? Why is it that the Komplete update process isn't documented anywhere?

Bump!

I've been successful at updating the Komplete 8 components on the Receptor. You've got to do the updates in a Komplete 8 installation on Windows 7 (32 bit) and copy over the updated files to the Receptor.

I added instructions in the next couple of posts below. This is what I came up with based on my personal user experience. I don't work for Muse Research. I am just another customer sharing my experience.

I hope it helps someone else out there but it's all at your own risk!

I'll update the instructions if needed based on feedback. One area that I didn't cover is preserving user presets across the updates if someone could help with that.
Last edited by Wind Surfer on Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Updating Kontakt 5 Libraries on the Muse Receptor

Note: These instructions worked successfully for Komplete 8 installed on a Receptor 2+ PRO MAX with Receptor O/S version 2.0.1.20130911. This Receptor only supports 32 bit VSTs. Newer models may require a 64-bit installation. These are 32-bit update instructions. Use of these instructions is at your own risk. Always back up your Receptor hard drive before making unsupported changes.

Note about saved user presets: These instructions do not preserve any customizations that you may have made to the components being updated. You will lose all customizations. If someone provides information about saving user presets across updates, I can update these instructions with that info.

Individual Kontakt 5 Libraries are easy to update on the Receptor. All the library files are located in a single location and you just have to replace the entire contents of the Kontakt library folder with updated files from a Windows 7 (32-bit) Komplete 8 installation.

Kontakt library files are located in the following directory on the Receptor:

Code: Select all

Receptor HD\Users\All Users\Documents
Kontakt library files are located in the following directory in a default Windows 7 (32 bit) installation.

C:\Users\Public\Documents
Example update of "Berlin Concert Grand Library".

0) Back up the Receptor hard drive before doing any updates! Any manual file manipulation you do is at your own risk!!

1) Install Komplete 8 on Windows 7 (32 bit) using default settings. If you are running Windows 7 (64-bit) then get the free VMWare Player and install Windows 7 (32-bit) in a VMWare session and use that to do your Komplete 8 installation and updates. Reserve about 210 GB of hard disk space for a Komplete 8 Ultimate installation. This is what I did and it works fine.

2) Use the NI Service Center in Windows 7 (32 bit) to update the Berlin Concert Grand Library in Windows.

3) Navigate to the following folder in Windows. That is your source folder with the updated files:

C:\Users\Public\Documents\Berlin Concert Grand Library
4) Load an empty preset on the Receptor. This means unload all VSTs from the instrument rack. It should be empty.

5) Open up a Receptor Drive window and navigate to the following folder. This is your destination folder:

Receptor HD\Users\All Users\Documents\Berlin Concert Grand Library
6) Delete the contents of the "Berlin Concert Grand Library" folder on the Receptor. Leave the folder there and empty.

7) Copy the contents of the updated Windows 7 "Berlin Concert Grand Library" folder to the empty Receptor "Berlin Concert Grand Library" folder.

8 ) Now put Kontakt 5 into the Receptor instrument rack and load up the updated Kontakt 5 library: "Berlin Concert Grand". Make sure that it is working correctly.

That's it. You're done! Repeat for any existing libraries you want to update under Kontakt 5.

Please report any corrections needed to these instructions and I will update them to benefit other users.
Last edited by Wind Surfer on Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:24 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Updating (non-Kontakt) Komplete 8 components on the Muse Receptor

Note: These instructions worked successfully for Komplete 8 installed on a Receptor 2+ PRO MAX with Receptor O/S version 2.0.1.20130911. This Receptor only supports 32 bit VSTs. Newer models may require a 64-bit installation. These are 32-bit update instructions. Use of these instructions is at your own risk. Always back up your Receptor hard drive before making unsupported changes.

Note about saved user presets: These instructions do not preserve any customizations that you may have made to the components being updated. You will lose all customizations. If someone provides information about saving user presets across updates, I can update these instructions with that info.

Non-Kontakt Komplete 8 components can be updated by updating the files from a Windows 7 (32-bit) installation of Komplete 8.

Non Kontakt components have files installed in 3 different places that need to be updated:

On the Receptor:

Receptor HD\Program Files\Native Instruments
Receptor HD\Program Files\Common Files\Native Instruments
Receptor HD\Program Files\Native Instruments\VSTPlugins 32 bit
On Windows 7 (32-bit):

C:\Program Files\Native Instruments
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Native Instruments
C:\Program Files\Native Instruments\VSTPlugins 32 bit
Example update of "FM8"

0) Back up the Receptor hard drive before doing any updates! Any manual file manipulation you do is at your own risk!!

1) Install Komplete 8 on Windows 7 (32 bit) using default settings. If you are running Windows 7 (64-bit) then get the free VMWare Player and install Windows 7 (32-bit) in a VMWare session and use that to do your Komplete 8 installation and updates. Reserve about 210 GB of hard disk space for a Komplete 8 Ultimate installation. This is what I did and it works fine.

2) Use the NI Service Center in Windows 7 (32 bit) to update FM8 in Windows.

3) Load an empty preset on the Receptor. This means unload all VSTs from the instrument rack. It should be empty.

4) Open up the Receptor drive and delete the contents of the following folders (leave the folders there and empty)

Receptor HD\Program Files\Common Files\Native Instruments\FM8
Receptor HD\Program Files\Native Instruments\FM8
5) Copy the complete contents of the following updated folders from the Windows 7 (32-bit) installation:

Source: C:\Program Files\Native Instruments\FM8
Destination: Receptor HD\Program Files\Native Instruments\FM8

Source: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Native Instruments\FM8
Destination: Receptor HD\Program Files\Common Files\Native Instruments\FM8
6) Now go to the following folder on the Receptor and delete any file that has "FM8" in the name.

Delete all these files. Just make sure to check both "FM8*" and "<dot>FM8*"

FM8 Reset.fxp
FM8.dll
FM8-info-cache.xml
.FM8-muse-lock.xml
.FM8-sign.xml
Do the same thing for "FM8 FX" files

7) Now go to the following VST DLL folder in the Windows 7 installation and find the updated FM8*.dll files there.

C:\Program Files\Native Instruments\VSTPlugins 32 bit

FM8.dll
FM8 FX.dll
8 ) Copy these updated DLL files to the following folder on the Receptor where you deleted the old DLL and related files.

9) Check to see if you can load up the updated Komplete 8 component on the Receptor in the instrument rack.

10) If there is a problem loading up the component then try the following plugin validation step:

Validate all the ignored Komplete plugins from the Receptor SETUP menu (O/S 2.0.1)

SETUP -> Software Manager -> VALIDATE IGNORED

FM8 Ignored: ...some reason... [VALIDATE]

11) Check to see that the Komplete component is updated to the latest version by clicking on the "NI" logo inside of the component which brings up the version information screen. Click anywhere in the version information screen to close it.

That's it! You're done!

Please report any corrections needed to these instructions and I will update them to benefit other users.
Last edited by Wind Surfer on Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Thank you for taking the time to go so in-depth with the explanation!

I noticed that Native Instruments is doing a 50% off sale on the Komplete 9 upgrade through December 8th ($75 for the upgrade).

After looking further into the update I am not able to find which version of Kontakt is included in the Komplete 9 upgrade. If it is not past 5.1 then it seems that the upgrade won't solve the Kontakt update/library compatibility issue. Any of you that have done the receptor 2.01 and Komplete 9 have the answer on the Kontakt version question?

I just successfully upgraded my Komplete 8 with Kontakt 5.3.0.6464 using the method I described above for non-Kontakt components. This also fixed my "George Duke Soul Treasures" patch problem after upgrading that component which needs the latest Kontakt version.

Directories updated on the Receptor:

Receptor HD\Program Files\Common Files\Native Instruments\Kontakt 5
Receptor HD\Program Files\Common Files\Native Instruments\Helper
Receptor HD\Program Files\Native Instruments\Kontakt 5

I don't see any reason to upgrade to Komplete 9 unless you are specifically interested in one of the new products or you want to upgrade Battery 3 to Battery 4. I think that everything else is exactly the same between Komplete 8 and Komplete 9.

http://www.native-instruments.com/en/pr ... omplete-9/

Only things different in Komplete 9 (vs. Komplete 8 ) are:

MONARK
BATTERY 4
THE GIANT
SOLID EQ
SOLID BUS COMP
SOLID DYNAMICS
SESSION STRINGS

The concept of "Komplete 8" and "Komplete 9" is nothing more than packaging of a common set of components. Once they are installed, you treat them as individual components. Just look for major revision changes or new components in the package when deciding on an upgrade.

nathankingcole wrote:Thank you for taking the time to go so in-depth with the explanation!

I noticed that Native Instruments is doing a 50% off sale on the Komplete 9 upgrade through December 8th ($75 for the upgrade).
Yeah, I ordered that, too, so I'll be going straight to 9 as well.

Anyone from Muse like to comment how a user with a Mac desktop (who does not have the Windows NI installed) might update the K8 components? I am not interested in getting Windows to install it in a VM....

Related - the only thing that is different in K9 from K8 that interests me is Battery 4. How can I install that on the Receptor? I own it, but was not buying K9 just to get it.

Bump!

As a mac user, I'd love to be able to update individual components of Komplete 8 to their more recent versions...but I don't own a machine running Windows 7. (Nor a copy of Windows 7 to run in boot camp.)

Return to “Muse Research and Development”