Swam on Receptor The Gig!

Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

An opportunity came up quicker than expected to put the receptor 2+ to work in a live gigging situation this last Saturday. I was running OS2 in rack mode and live play running all of the Swam instruments and sample modeling Trumpet in Kontakt. It was a corporate party backing some tribute artists. Live mode really proved to be a great addition not only to access and perform but to make quick adjustments on presets for volume and to put together versions of things adding insert effects and saving has presets, getting them into the tags and loaded. I find my ram usage really low, barely getting to half with about thirteen presets. CPU load on the SWAM plugins was pretty low until adding the Kontakt player when layering sounds but still barely hitting yellow. I was able to get what I needed when I needed it and adjust on the fly way better than in mixer mode. It was a blast! No chance to get video this time but there will be some coming soon. (Images posted on Muse Research facebook page.
Dan

8) :hyper: :clap:

Good for you Dan! I had a performance last Saturday using live mode for the first time as well. I have been performing with a receptor for years, and recently invested in a new quattro. It took a while to get rack mode figured out and build presets to do what I have been doing with snapshots, but the results are great. It has been much more solid to work with, and I find myself doing quite a bit less back and forth with the mouse when editing presets in the new layout.I love the midi learn function and drag and drop presets. I did find myself needing to be careful in transitioning between some presets to give a few seconds before playing flurries of notes-I had some CPU spikes. This may be a Battery 4 issue-that was the common denominator in the problem transitions.

I don't remember if you play an EWI or keyboard with a breath controller. What I have found is that though can play notes between patch changes on a keyboard without issue, the results with EWI were inconsistent and in one case kicked in a sliding portamento which I eliminated by re selecting the preset.

Interesting posts!

I'd love to hear more about what is happening during live use.

eg. are their latencies during patch changes? How program changes might be taking CPU resources away from live things? How much you eliminate the need for snapshots and channel muting? ....

All good info.

Best,
Kevin L

So far so good for me, as long as everything is loaded into ram. I don't go straight through a set list, which is one reason I loved snapshot mode. I have been able to re-create 22 of the combos I used in snapshot mode and have them all load into ram. Live mode hasn't been fully loading all the presets if they total more that 63% of the total ram. I can't imagine this as an issue for people doing more of a set list approach; even when Live Mode didn't load all the presets there were at least 4-6 loaded on either side of the current preset, but it does create a ceiling for me with the approach I am using, albeit a much higher ceiling than my Pro Max 2.
There has not been any latency between preset changes. I have had 2 crashes live-I think both were with the Battery 4 issue I posted earlier in this thread-the CPU spiking and then the receptor getting stuck-going unresponsive to all midi input. I was able to reboot fairly quickly. I am amazed at how fast 10 gb of samples can load into ram on my quattro!
The thing that is most exciting for me about Live Mode is the ability to completely tailor the patches in ways that would be impossible to have immediate preset switching in snapshot mode. In Live Mode the presets do not need to have any sort of connection to one another in terms of channels, programs being used, etc.. One thing that is challenging for me is that when I make an adjustment in Live Mode to a preset then call it up again later in the Live Mode session, it does not reset to the original preset parameters; if I change the level of one channel or the send amount they stay at those settings. That has ended up giving me a few surprises!
I think it is worth mentioning that I am running Live Mode at the lowest latency at 44.1k in 64 bit mode and not running into CPU issues other than Battery 4- even with 3 instances of Kontakt 5, 2 absynth, Lounge Lizard, Guitar Rig, and 2 Master Verbs all running simultaneously!
Thanks for the continued innovation.

I guess there is a little latency on program changes but for me it is nominal and I can adapt as needed. I think the EWI poses interesting challenges because of it's more constant data streams on cc2 and cc11 which are breath and expression. There is a slight pause on the swam instruments kontakt player version take a bit longer. Cross playing during a patch change is not recommended as it seems to mess up the load of the next patch. This I am certain is because of the characteristics of how the EWI functions for the previously mentioned reasons. There is a swam install video up on YouTube now and I will be putting up more videos covering this and program changes in general.

Hi everyone,
It has been several weeks now and I have had many opportunities to gig with the receptor using the SWAM instruments. During that time there have been a couple of upgrades on their end which have made them work better on both the receptor and my macbook. I am working exclusively with the rack interface and using Live play. So far my biggest tag has 23 presets and all of them load in without running out of ram. In fact, they barely hit the halfway point on ram usage. CPU load is pretty decent on single voices not really taxing my 2+ much at all. The kontakt player voices use a bit more CPU especially if a run a layer of two or more sample modeling instruments. Program changes are working well with my FCB1010 and even a previous issue with cross play being strange has gone away. I have been switching between using my macbook on a couple of gigs where I don't use the EWI much to save space but the Receptor setup is much easier to deal with. Now I want another one. :hyper: :clap:

Dan,

Video of how I use program changes as well as Swam instruments in rack and live play coming soon.

Thumbs Up!

I'd love to see it!

Return to “Muse Research and Development”