VB3 problem

Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I run VB3 1.4 on my Receptor 2, and several times recently VB3 has produced terrible high-pitched electronic-type sounds instead of its usual great organ sound. When this happens, all patches sound bad. I've found if I reboot the Receptor several times, VB3 eventually starts working ok. All other plugins I run on the Receptor are fine.

Since VB3 is the main plugin I use (and I love it!!!), I'm very concerned, especially as I have a European tour coming up in a few weeks....

Any suggestions for a fix would be greatly appreciated! Is this a known issue?

Neil
Kurzweil PC3x, Muse Receptor, Nord G2 Modular, Mellotron M400, Nord Electro, Korg Triton, Yamaha Motif Rack ES, Roland D50, Korg Prophecy, Korg MS10, Logan String Synth

Sorry to reply to my own thread, but I now notice that VB3 runs fine in Rack Mode (I'm running 2.01) but not in Mixer Mode. Which is a problem, as I really need to use Mixer Mode....

Hope that might trigger some thought process / clue in someone....?
Kurzweil PC3x, Muse Receptor, Nord G2 Modular, Mellotron M400, Nord Electro, Korg Triton, Yamaha Motif Rack ES, Roland D50, Korg Prophecy, Korg MS10, Logan String Synth

Interesting that the plugin runs ok in rack but not in mixer. Do the zload or multi-thread settings change the behaviour of the plugin in mixer mode?

Fedde

FWIW, this is the first I've heard of VB3 misbehaving, and there are a LOT of people running it in both MIXER and RACK modes....

One thing to check is your gain settings... It is a fairly hot plugin, and its possible that VB3 is causing some kind of digital wrap condition that is causing it to become unstable and go into oscillation. This is a guess, as any wrap condition is not good, but trying lowering the volume on the plugin itself and see if it still does it...

Bryan

Tried that, and the gain is low, and adjusting it doesn't prevent or affect the problem. One interesting additional point - *sometimes* when I boot up the Receptor in rack mode VB3 works fine, but most of the time the exact same multis show this problem.

This has only happened on my Receptor 2+ Pro that I upgraded to OS 2.01, not my other two identical machines that I haven't yet upgraded, which is incidentally one reason I haven't upgraded those...

The other thing I should say is that I'm using it via the ADAT outputs, as I do with all my plugins. I'll try it through the standard audio outputs and see if it's any different. I wouldn't be surprised if it was something relating to the ADAT output - I've seen other problems with those before. For example if I change multi while there's still a reverb tail playing, a very short segment of audio (one buffer?) is looped continuously until the new multi has loaded, sounding like a sharp buzz. It doesn't happen through the normal audio outputs, just the ADAT outputs. I've reported this before....

Fedde: I have zload enabled and multi-threading disabled generally, and trying other combinations doesn't affect this - the problem continues.

Neil

i run vb3 on a receptor 2 (v2.0 os) in mixer mode with no trouble. I use the spdif out. (Almost no trouble: even before the os update i would occasionally not hear the percussion even though you could see the rocker moving in the gui and correct drawbars were selected. Reboot would fix this.)

ndurant wrote:This has only happened on my Receptor 2+ Pro that I upgraded to OS 2.01, not my other two identical machines that I haven't yet upgraded, which is incidentally one reason I haven't upgraded those...
I have VB3 on a Receptor 2 PRO upgraded to 2.01, and the same thing happened to me this week. The sound man and band wanted to kill me when that screech came through the monitors and mains.

I was using Live Mode with about 15 presets, only one of which had VB3. When that preset came up, that same problem happened.

I knew it was VB3, because that oscillating was indeed the slow rotor sound of the Leslie! Instead of a tonewheel sound being emulated, it was the whine. A red dot next to the preset never went away, and the whine continued if I went backward and forward through the presets.

I'm sorry we have this problem, but glad I'm not the only one - maybe we'll get this fixed. I have to say, ever since upgrading to 2.01 last year, this machine has been a disaster. I was lured by Live Mode and Komplete 9, but the result has been a bad reputation for me: the guy who's live rig doesn't work every show or rehearsal.

@tonewheeltom:

Did you try to apply this patch to 2.0.1?
http://www.plugorama.com/kb.php?id=502

The patch should help to improve the Mixer mode stability according to the description.

fedde wrote:@tonewheeltom:

Did you try to apply this patch to 2.0.1?
http://www.plugorama.com/kb.php?id=502

The patch should help to improve the Mixer mode stability according to the description.
Thanks, no I haven't, although I was having this problem in Rack mode.

Ah, ok. It least you can fall back to mixer now. I think that the VB3 noise issue may be in the plugin itself as similar problems have been reported for the Forte VST host. Reset by triple power button press stops the issue.

Fedde

fedde wrote:Ah, ok. It least you can fall back to mixer now. I think that the VB3 noise issue may be in the plugin itself as similar problems have been reported for the Forte VST host. Reset by triple power button press stops the issue.

Fedde
That's interesting in regards to Forte, too. Lately I've been using VB3 with my Receptor without its Leslie emulation, sending it dry to a real Leslie or using fx in Guitar Rig. I wonder if it's related to the Leslie sim? It used to crash mixer mode when I tried to use it in an effect channel, but I haven't tried it in a while.

Return to “Muse Research and Development”