Connecting Receptor to Network wirelessly

Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Could anyone explain to my how I could connect my Receptor to a network (so that I can use the Remote application) when my router is in another room ?

Up until recently, my Receptor was connected to a router, which itself was connected to a telephone extension socket, in the same room as the Receptor. This enabled me to use Remote and view the GUI on my PC as both the PC and Receptor are on the same network.

I have now upgraded to a "superfast" broadband service which requires the router to be downstairs, connected to the main telephone socket. The PC is connected to the router wirelessly using a "receiver", with the "transmitter" downstairs connected to the router using an ethernet cable.

However, the Receptor is now outside the new network. Has anyone else been able to add their Receptor to a network where the router is in a different room ? Obviously I could connect the Receptor to the router using an ethernet cable but this will be messy and I don't want wires all over the place.

Thanks for your help !

Peter

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
Peter - I am brand new to Receptor, but an old hand at networking ... did you get an answer? You might try using ethernet over power line ... here is a link http://www.netgear.com/home/products/ne ... powerline/ (http://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/powerline/) ... the 50 is plenty $60 give or take .. This would put the Receptor on the wired network and your wireless devise is on the same network/router ... hope it helps Larry

Larry

Thanks for your reply. Your networking expertise may be of great help to me !

I will explain my set up. The Receptor is in a room upstairs, close to my PC. The router is downstairs. I have a pair of Arcnet powerline adapters in use, which transmit the signal from the router to my PC using the mains wiring - one of the adapters is connected to my PC, whilst the other one is connected to the router.

At the moment, if I want to add the Receptor to my network (such as when I recently upgraded to v2.0.1 software), I have to connect a long cable to it and run it downstairs to the router - this is messy and inconvenient. If I do this, the Receptor then shows on my PC as being part of the network. The Receptor IP address for this set up (as shown in the "network" tab under the GUI set up menu) is : 192.168.1.76.

Today, as a test, I switched everything around. I connected my PC to the router downstairs using the long cable, and connected the Receptor to the powerline adapter near it (which is normally connected to my PC). Going into the set up tab on the Receptor GUI showed that the Receptor was on the network (the status showed "ready") and an IP address was shown (although this was different to the one above - it was 192.168.254.253). However, the Receptor didn't show up on my PC as being part of the network.

If I could get the Receptor to actually appear on the network when I connect it to the powerline adapter, I would buy a second one, and leave my PC connected to the first one. However, at the moment, this arrangement doesn't work.

Would you be able to explain (i) why the Receptor doesn't appear on the network when connected to the adapter, even though the set up menu shows that it is on the network (ii) why 2 different IP addresses are appearing, depending on the actual set up (iii) whether I can use the proposed second adapter method at all.

Thanks for your help and sorry for the length of this post !!

Return to “Muse Research and Development”