4tro/3io 1818VSL "Run your whole band" application

Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I will start this post with a general question of how Receptor Qu4ttro/Trio users are implementing their device for their whole band. I would like to share successes, setbacks, and workarounds.

Personally I spent the summer getting the system to work with my Boss RC-300. G-Loop was not useful as I have to send MIDI clock to another bandmate and her looping device. We have that worked out now, though I would love for Receptor to send MIDI clock.

A big issue now is the interface choice. Rack mode is not useful for audio sources because once you have entered an EQ setting for a channel there is nothing else you can do. If there is a dynamic change in the middle of a song where, for instance, the vocalist adds echo/verb at the same time the guitar and the bass change amp settings, and then the guitar wants to make a couple more changes with the vocalist going back to their first setting this is not possible. I use Mixer mode because each channel gets three effects that can be muted.

How do you folks use your Qu4ttro/Trio for you band?
Last edited by Fishoow on Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
Fish Out Of Water
Entune Productions

An update on "run your whole band" use of 3O/Q4tro:

A major defining quality of my band is that we improv. We include a guest artist each night and plug them into the VSL1818 mix. The VNC main mix is handled by a beer drinking/ socializing/ band promoter who meanders around the room with an iPad. We take set tunes and and drag them out giving everyone a chance to solo. Also, we invent things right on the fly. I play the only guitar, hand percussion, digital drums, synth, and vocals. We have a main vocalist whom I'm training on cueing different effects in Receptor and a bass player/ tapper using her own effects. Because each musician has their own EQ and effect I have to to operate in Mixer Mode. The problem with Mixer Mode is that switching effects causes an interruption in the sound. Live mode (in Rack mode) allows for smooth transitioning but, as I mentioned above, only allows one plugin per channel.
Fish Out Of Water
Entune Productions

Return to “Muse Research and Development”