Using Uniwire with Version 2.01 and Rack Style Interface

Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Upgraded my Receptor 2 to version 2.01 a while back but Im just getting around to integrating it with my DAW (Ableton Live) using a Win 7 Pro 32-bit laptop.

First off, when I launch the Uniwire plugin it finds the Receptor OK & I can set the buffer size but I am unable to download banks/patches and also I get an error when trying to launch the Remote Viewer directly from the Uniwire plugin (I can launch it separately OK). The DAW / Uniwire plugin is getting MIDI in but I am getting no audio out from the Receptor or my DAW.

I've checked the forums & YT videos, but they are all geared towards Receptor 1 or older versions. For example, it says the first step is to "Enable Uniwire". Well that is no longer an option in the 2.01 Rack Style interface. Nothing in the 2.01 manual directly addresses any changes to Uniwire either.

Is there any updated info on how to get Uniwire working with the new 2.01 update?

Thanks

Hello,

Uniwire is an older software designed for Mix Mode. As you might have noticed it will only function in this mode. It is not possible to use Rack Mode with Uniwire. From my personal experience I have found using a MIDI routing device to send MIDI from your computer to the Receptor and then recording the outputs directly into Ableton to be the smoothest and easiest process when using Rack Mode to produce.

-Nick

ahhh....ok!
Well that clears things up a bit!
So basically I just use DIN Midi Jacks in/out then to record...hmm, seems like a step backwards to me, but whatever...would be nice if they updated Uniwire to work with Rack mode.
Why did Muse abandon Uniwire? I really like the concept of Uniwire and how it allows my Receptor to act as host for plugins MIDI and audio interface via the single ethernet cable thereby freeing up processing power...hopefully they update it :)

Also, am I to infer from this that if I wanted to use Uniwire again I would have to switch back to Mixer style and then it should work again as before?

miamigroove wrote:Also, am I to infer from this that if I wanted to use Uniwire again I would have to switch back to Mixer style and then it should work again as before?
Yes this is correct. Uniwire should still function in Mix Mode.

Uniwire works with mix mode on my quattro.

I hope You at Muse keep supporting Uniwire, it greatly improves the Receptor as a live instrument..!

Uniwire is not working with my Trio in either mode. Uniwire manual downloaded from the website says to "Enable Uniwire" using the checkbox. There is not a checkbox in my Settings Tab-system v.1.2.1. Should there be?
Fish Out Of Water
Entune Productions

I don't think so, IIRC correctly all you (should) need to do is start the plugin in your host sequencer. As soon as I start it, my Quattro syncs with it.

Sad news. I am not finding Receptor Uniwire in my list of VST instruments. This is new to me. When I received the my Trio last year I plugged it into my DAW (Presonus Studio One) and immediately found Uniwire as a possible plugin. At that time it did not carry any audio to the output. I called Muse support and was told it was a Presonus issue. I called Presonus (great customer service) and I found that the version of Presonus did not allow "outside" plugins unless I upgrade. I did so and have not checked back until now. Hopefully I will hear back from Nick at Muse soon.
Fish Out Of Water
Entune Productions

Could it be that Uniwire is a 32-bit plug? I really hope there'll be a 64-bit version...

Fishoow wrote:Sad news. I am not finding Receptor Uniwire in my list of VST instruments. This is new to me. When I received the my Trio last year I plugged it into my DAW (Presonus Studio One) and immediately found Uniwire as a possible plugin. At that time it did not carry any audio to the output. I called Muse support and was told it was a Presonus issue. I called Presonus (great customer service) and I found that the version of Presonus did not allow "outside" plugins unless I upgrade. I did so and have not checked back until now. Hopefully I will hear back from Nick at Muse soon.
Make sure that you are sending midi to the Receptor but using the instrument channel in your DAW. Of course you'll want to double check that uniwire has even made a connection, in which you would see this represented in the plugin.

Personally I feel Uniwire is more hassle these days than it is worth. My prefered method of using a Receptor in the studio is with a MIDI routing device. In my opinion it is much easier to send MIDI out of a DAW to the Receptor and record it's output into the DAW.

Fishoow wrote:Sad news. I am not finding Receptor Uniwire in my list of VST instruments. This is new to me. When I received the my Trio last year I plugged it into my DAW (Presonus Studio One) and immediately found Uniwire as a possible plugin. At that time it did not carry any audio to the output. I called Muse support and was told it was a Presonus issue. I called Presonus (great customer service) and I found that the version of Presonus did not allow "outside" plugins unless I upgrade. I did so and have not checked back until now. Hopefully I will hear back from Nick at Muse soon.
Make sure that you are sending midi to the Receptor but using the instrument channel in your DAW. Of course you'll want to double check that uniwire has even made a connection, in which you would see this represented in the plugin.

Personally I feel Uniwire is more hassle these days than it is worth. My prefered method of using a Receptor in the studio is with a MIDI routing device. In my opinion it is much easier to send MIDI out of a DAW to the Receptor and record it's output into the DAW.

Hey Nick! Thanks for the reply. You are certainly the man on the scene these days.
Analogaddict: I am running 32bit exclusively right now as it clears up a lot of problems. Later I can start working 64bit.

And Nick, you are correct that Uniwire is no longer making a connection. Up until Feb 8 (yesterday) I thought that it was connecting because I had seen Uniwire in my list of VSTs for inserts in any channel in Studio One. I have a KMI Qño USB MIDI controller and PC/CC coming from a 5-PIN DIN foot controller and both are affecting on the Receptor. As previously mentioned, I used to be able to add Uniwire to a channel in my DAW but now the options not even there.

I can't remember if I updated my Audiobox or not but the warning not to update explained that the Audiobox would no longer work with Receptor at all. This is not the case. I changed out the Cat5 cable and no new result.

In a seperate post I explain how I would like to be using the Receptor. I do not want a stereo mix of my instruments into the DAW. I need the instruments separated out. There is also the convenience factor of, well, one wire. I hope there is a fix to this because I have already missed some opportunities due to lack of recordings.
Fish Out Of Water
Entune Productions

Since work has stopped on Uniwire a long while ago it's reliability isn't something you can well... rely on. Uniwire must see a Receptor on your network to function that means the Receptor needs to be either in x-over or automatic network connection. If the Receptor cannot be seen in muse remote control then it will not show up in Uniwire.

What is connected to the Receptor should not have any affect on the functionality of Uniwire. I cannot say with 100% certainty the compatibility of the Presonus interface and uniwire though. It may be worth testing out yourself by switching the Audio engine on your Receptor to use the built-in one. If you did update the Audiobox's firmware it can be reversed with a little effort.

I still believe the most reliable method is the one I mentioned earlier with the Midi box and recording the output. While it does take a bit of extra effort to record each instrument one at a time it is better than no recording at all.

-Nick

Thanks for staying on this, Nick. Ya. The way I got results last summer when I first got my Receptor was taking the USB connector from the bundled 1818 and putting it directly into my Mac. Then I connected the Trio via Network cable. I had already loaded muse Tools into my Mac. That got me the result of seeing Uniwire in my VST list. It was a great surprise until I didn't get any audio through there. That's when I had the included customer care with Muse and spent a bit of time on the phone between them and Presonus. I tried this setup again to no avail. It's a little frustrating to have had it once and then it goes away. I do remember trying to insert Uniwire VST into a track after upgrading Presonus to Producer edition as instructed by Presonus. I think the reason I haven't tried it since then is because the upgrade I did in September did not yield results which meant $ and time wasted. Though I can't remember if I updated the Audiobox 1818, it sounds like, if I had, it would not work with my Receptor.

I'm glad that "analogaddict" has his working. This gives me hope. It sounds as though you're trying to sway me to give up and not try to accomplish what he is doing. Perhaps it's because I didn't buy the Qu4tro. Hmm. Perhaps if Uniwire is unreliable as you say it should not be promoted as on the front page of Plugorama. I think it's a little misleading to some. I really am looking for a way to multitrack live. Perhaps this just isn't it. See explanation of my usage in this other post. http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 5&t=429283
Fish Out Of Water
Entune Productions

Return to “Muse Research and Development”