Installing Galaxy Vintage D using Kontakt

Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This is only my 2nd attempt at installing a vst plugin. I did some research on the subject and I'm not quite confident that I could do it. It seems that I may be able to add-on Galaxy Vintage D using Kontakt. It looks like the Galaxy Vintage D plugin is probably a "User Installable" plugin and uses an installer that I don't have access to. I just need some guidance here. I appreciate any help from the forum.

Well with a little patience and perseverance, I successfully installed the Galaxy Vintage D plugin into my Receptor VIP unit. The Best Service Kontakt PDF guide was useful.

Best Service sent me 5 files, 4 "rar" files and 1 Kontakt PDF file. I downloaded them to my PC hard drive.
I followed the instructions in the guide and only unpacked 1 of the "rar" files. Once you unpack one of the "rar" files, the info on the other 3 "rar" files will be accessible as well. Open your receptor hard drive and drop them in a folder. I created my own folder, "Galaxy Vintage D" and dropped the unpacked library files there. Note: I actually unpacked the "rar" file in the folder I created on my Receptor hard drive.

Now open the Receptor viewer and load the Kontakt program. Kontakt 5 came bundled with my Receptor. If you don't have it, you can download it from the (NI) Native instruments site. Please note that you have to create an account with NI to activate Galaxy D. With Kontakt opened in the rack area of your Receptor, click on the "Add Library" button. Locate the folder were you put the Galaxy library file (unpacked rar) and click "OK". At this point, you're going to be asked to activate the software by inserting the product serial number. After that, you're in business.

Great topic, and this definitely should get discussed. We have a video on this on our Receptorland channel, but it doesn't go in to detail so its a good topic on the forum. Honestly very little of this has to do with Receptor, and is more about working with sample libraries in general, so this would apply to Macs or PC users, not just Receptor users.

This is how I do it:

First off, a lot of developers are using .rar files to package up their libraries for distribution over the web, so it starts with that. Download ALL the .rar files associated with the library and get them on to your computer. For those who don't know, a .rar file is simply a package or compression file, like .zip, but they are able to be used with really huge files, so .rar is more popular than .zip with a lot of sample content developers.

The way I do it is to create a folder where all the .rar files are located, and then use the "un-rar" utility that came with the library or is available with from the web. I think the one on my Mac is called UnRarX or something like that. Again, this has nothing to do with Receptor.

Double click on the first .Rar file and it will uncompress the file and create folders for all the library sample data, presets, documentation, etc. Its important to do this from INSIDE a folder where all the files are located so you can keep everything together!

Once all the .rar files are unpacked, you'll have one or more folders, plus some .nki or .nkm instruments… a bunch of NI stuff. What I do next is to make a new folder, giving it the name of the library (Galaxy D) and then drag EVERYTHING EXCEPT the .RAR files into that. ONce the files have all been unpacked, you don't really need the .rar files but it is wise to keep them around… they are essentially the "discs" that you would have been shipped in the olden days of CDs and DVD ROMS. (pause for a heavy sigh from me lamenting the elimination of hard copies in software distribution… okay, I'm done)

NOW it is time to install it on Receptor, which is actually the easy part.

Connect to your Receptor over Ethernet using Muse Tools / Receptor Remote. Once you've connected to your Receptor, click on SHOW DRIVE. A new window will open up with the drive contents of the Receptor. Locate the folder called SAMPLES.

Drag the Galaxy D folder over to SAMPLES. It will take a while, there are many Gigabytes of samples to move over.

Once everything is copied over, open up Kontakt 5 (I'm assuming you are using a newer Receptor, if it is an older one, you can do what I'm explaining next from the Kontakt 3 player). Click on the Add Libraries tab, and use the Kontakt browser to navigate to the c://SAMPLES folder, and then open up the SAMPLES folder and click on the GALAXY D folder that you copied over.

Click OK, and assuming you copied over all the presets, samples, and instruments, the library will be added and is ready to authorize.

If it DOESN'T add the library, try it again, but this time go into the Galaxy D folder (one more level down) and try it again.

If you didn't unpack everything, or didn't copy everything over, Kontakt will complain. Otherwise it will ask you if you want to add the library to the database, click OK, and then all you need to do is click on ACTIVATE (assuming the unit has access to the internet) and enter in your Galaxy D serial number, along with your NI account username and password.

So like everything in life, this is fairly easy when you know how, but maybe we should do a complete video showing the un-rarning step through to the authorization step for people? Yes? No? Maybe?

Best of luck…

Bryan

Return to “Muse Research and Development”