Really curious issue with Receptor 2+ and Linnstrument

Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello,
I recently jumped into the wonderful world of the Receptor. I picked up a 2nd hand Receptor 2+ and have upgraded it to the latest OS 2. One really strange issue has popped up, when I connect my Linnstrument via USB direct into the Receptor, it had huge problems with hanging notes, it's as if it never sees some of the note offs. I never had this problem with a direct USB connection to my computer (win7_64). The only way I can make it playable is to send it through my computer(USB), then send the midi on to the Receptor. Same patch in Receptor no hanging notes at all. It seems like there must be an issue with the USB conversion within the Receptor. Is there anything I could try to remedy this? Because right now this is a deal breaker for live performance, I got the Receptor to avoid having to lug a computer to live shows.

I really am enjoying the flexibility and patch switching and such, other than this issue right now.
I understand the Linnstrument is a bit bleeding edge and all, but it never needs any special USB drivers on any other systems I've used it on. I may also post some questions in the Linnstrument forums, but at this point the failures are pointing directly at the Receptor and internal USB/Midi conversion.

Also to add info on my troubleshooting, the Receptor handles my other non conventional controllers (Axis 64) like a champ, no hanging notes at all.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice.
Cheers,
Dirk

This is not directly related to your questions but are you playing guitar or keys? I just got one as well and really would like to run it live for effects on my guitar.

Regards,

-Ty

Hello Ty,
well actually both sort of. I wouldn't classify the controllers as keys though, they are all isomorphic layouts, not traditional keyboards.
And I also play guitar/basses/touch style instruments through it as well.

Just wish I could be able to use my setup live with only Receptor, it can do everything I need other than the odd hanging notes issue with the Linnstrument.

Dirk

This is really curious indeed. Receptor is pretty well respected for its ability to handle alternative controllers, and is used regularly with data gloves and alternative controllers. And Roger is really good at designing instruments, so I'm wondering if he requires special drivers to be installed for it to work properly???

The easiest quickest test is to connect it to the Receptor, connect an LCD monitor, call up a really basic instrument (like the AAS player that came with your 2.0.1 upgrade) and click on the MIDI filter button in the RACK mode window.

Down at the bottom of the MIDI filter you will see a "verbose" MIDI monitor that tells the exact nature of the messages being sent. My guess is that for whatever reason, it isn't sending note offs.

Please report back what you find!

Bryan

Thanks for your reply Bryan!

Your points are spot on, I was as surprised too. And to answer your question, no the Linnstrument requires no special drivers at all. Plug it into win7 and it recognizes it and moves on and works great with no hanging notes. Yeah I've actually already discovered the verbose monitor. I'll try and dig in some more, but for now as long as I do the conversion of USB to midi in my win7 64 computer, then pass that one via midi to Receptor, all is good. I have no immediate need to go live with the Receptor yet, but would like to be able to this summer. The combo of Receptor and Linnstrument are insanely cool, so cool actually I would be almost willing to bring a laptop as well if that's what's needed to make it work.

I also use a C-Thru Music Axis64 controller and it has never had any issues at all going direct into Receptor, but it is midi only.

I'll let you know how things work out, but for now I have a temporary solution that allows me to play them both in the studio at least.
Thanks,
Dirk

Had a quick chat with Roger about this, and he admits there is a ton of messages coming through. Not sure why Receptor isn't processing them all, but he did make a brilliant recommendation: if you send the MIDI over the MIDI output port to the Receptor, it should work like a charm as that is a thinned MIDI stream.

So if you connect the MIDI out it should be fine, if you use USB, then the MIDI messages are coming in at a much higher baud rate, and as of now, we're not sure why all the messages are not being processed properly… could be our driver, could be something else. I'd like to try it on a VIP, TRIO, or QU4TTRO since that has a different driver and we were able to use the Seeboard with great success at a demo at the NAMM show this year, which was very encouraging…

All the best

Bryan

Wow Bryan,
thanks for contacting Roger directly, amazing.

Actually already tried that and it sent the Receptor into a complete failure. It was stuck trying to load a bunch of vst's and screen on the receptor and the monitor just kept scrolling like it was trying to constantly change patches. I was forced manually reboot the Receptor. And yes indeed there is a ton of data with the x,y,z for every note, but that's what makes it such an ideal controller.

As I said as long as the midi passes through my desktop and passed via midi, all is good. To me that points to being the conversion of USB to midi on the Receptor must be where the issue is. At least that's my theory currently. I would hate to think of selling the 2+ as I just updated it to the latest greatest software, which is a nice improvement as well.

I truly appreciate your stepping up in big way on this.
Dirk

Dirk Diggler wrote:Hello Ty,
well actually both sort of. I wouldn't classify the controllers as keys though, they are all isomorphic layouts, not traditional keyboards.
And I also play guitar/basses/touch style instruments through it as well.

Just wish I could be able to use my setup live with only Receptor, it can do everything I need other than the odd hanging notes issue with the Linnstrument.

Dirk
Dirk,

It really is an awesome piece of hardware when you can get it to work. I have started running GuitarRig5 as a standalone to run all my effects. I use a FCB1010 to switch presets. It works perfectly. I am going to push it super hard to see if it can take what I throw at it so I can use it live.

Regards,

-Ty

Return to “Muse Research and Development”