Slow MIDI

Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I feel like I've posted this question before but did not find anything searching this forum for "slow MIDI" or "MIDI latency".

Tragically slow MIDI response.
I've played with audio latency; sample rate and block size. My CPU and memory are in the basement.
It's particularly bad with my Behringer FCB1010 (notoriously messed up CC pedals so I kind of give it a pass) but my KMI Quneo USB direct should be super speedy. My Arturio MiniLab isn't exactly crisp either. MIDI notes are pretty spot on and the PC's from my Behringer hit quickly in live mode. The damn CC's from all devices are a mess. It's a little harder to tell but I think even the pitch shift and Mod bar on my CME 37 is a little slow.

Ideas anyone?
Fish Out Of Water
Entune Productions

Are the offending cc's slow when routed to both the receptor midi mixer and directly to plugins?

nathankingcole wrote:Are the offending cc's slow when routed to both the receptor midi mixer and directly to plugins?

I keep them separate. I have the 4 bottom Quneo sliders as volume control for Tracks/Channels through the global MIDI mixer settings (Synth 1, Synth 2, etc. @ volume CC 7. Really, those are not terrible but since I'm addressing the problem I thought I'd toss those in. The real trouble maker is the DIN-connected continuous controller pedal from my Behringer 1010; up to 2 seconds of delay. Granted, I'm asking the one pedal to control two Audio tracks (again through the Global MIDI mixer), Audio 2 and Audio 3, both set to volume CC 7. Each of the Quneo sliders use a different MIDI Channel and the Behringer sends on ch8.

The plugin MIDI CC's are similarly sluggish. I thought, perhaps, I had duplicate messages being sent but I've nit picked (only once).
Fish Out Of Water
Entune Productions

I don't necessarily have any ideas for you right now, but thought I would reply to keep the thread going!

nathankingcole wrote:I don't necessarily have any ideas for you right now, but thought I would reply to keep the thread going!
:tu: Chatter in the forum!! I like it! Thanks for be momentum. I think andym63, hopkhic are steady voices too. Haven't heard from Dirk Diggler in a while.
Fish Out Of Water
Entune Productions

Hi
Are you using any mergers or thru boxes to connect the receptor to other equipment.?
Is there a usb mouse or other input device conected to the receptor ?
Are you using usb midi or "normal" midi or a combination of both?
Can you post a diagram of your midi connections.
Regards Andy

andym63 wrote:Hi
Are you using any mergers or thru boxes to connect the receptor to other equipment.?
Yes! Two. A MIDI merge and a MIDI Quadthru. However, for troubleshooting I bypassed both. No positive change.
Is there a usb mouse or other input device conected to the receptor ?
Yes! Never would have thought of that. I'll try tomorrow. Possibly one of those things I would stumble across and have no idea what I did.
Are you using usb midi or "normal" midi or a combination of both?
Yes! Or… combination. Both have been slow.
Can you post a diagram of your midi connections.
Regards Andy
No! Well, OK. I might just draw, scan, and attach though.

Whatever it's worth, I have a tag that has about 13 presets which all have 10 audio tracks that load in. When I go into Live mode my memory is yellow-lining. The MIDI is demonstrating its slothfulness at all times, however.
This morning I tried removing all but the two (audio) tracks that use the one Behringer volume pedal. Speed improved.
Fish Out Of Water
Entune Productions

So, a few weeks later I:

1 - Went direct via one DIN cable from only one foot controller. No change.
2 - Removed the mouse/keyboard dongle. No change.
3 - Got rid of dual Control Change messages. This helped.
and
4 - Tried removing DIN altogether. No change.

Now the Receptor is not receiving clock info despite it registering on the MIDI monitor in my synth channels (Rack mode).
I have noticed that immediate Control Change numbers sent register pretty quickly via button presses but Continuous Changes via knobs are taking an exceptionally long time.

The diagram is attached.

Thanks! :?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Fish Out Of Water
Entune Productions

Return to “Muse Research and Development”