Incremental Backup question

Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have a couple of Receptors (2+Classic and a VIP1a)

I have made safety backup clones of the Internal drives using a standalone duplicator (i.e. I pull the internal out of the muse case) This creates a fully useable plug and play copy, but it takes quite a while to do a full drive--plus I have to crack open the Receptor.

I'd like to make INCREMENTAL backups as I install newer plugins to keep everything up to date.

If I use the Muse backup utility, will this preserve all the authorizations/ validations I have accomplished since the last backup? Any funky caveats to be aware of?

Thanks in advance.

-jt

hi
yes the incramental backup works Quite well your stuff should be ok ,but its not 100 procent i have had A few backups done by the receptor fail so dont trust it completeley keep using your backup duplicator in paralel.I also have 3 receptors and use both a duplicator and the Units backup system.
Andy

Hey guys? Have either of you actually restored from a backup? And to be clear, this is not ‘booting from an external drive’? Restoring from backup is if one’s HD gives an error and doesn’t boot for some reason or to update a not fully up to date clone? The backup is not actually a clone, correct?

Thanks
Fish Out Of Water
Entune Productions

I have restored my internal from a backup clone fairly frequently. Yes the backup is a "clone" of the internal drive. It started out as a true clone, i.e. a direct sector copy of the original. After that i only updated new or changed files, so I guess the sectors don't actually match anymore, but it has all the same files. It works as a standalone boot drive or as a drive to copy/restore, the original internal drive.

Excellent! Thanks. As seen from another post feed, my Receptor case is packed pretty tightly and just getting to the screws to open up takes a while (not to mention the extra hours staring at it all making sure there's not a better way to reassemble it all).
I'm wanting to play around with accessing settings on the 1818 VSL. I'm not hugely confident for a device that's such a 'princess and the pea' but I have a good team -- AND A COUPLE BACKUPS!
Fish Out Of Water
Entune Productions

Ah now I see where you are going with your original question. I should tell you that I have never actually used the MUSE OS to make a Backup or Restore of the internal drive, so I can't vouch for it's reliability. My original backup was via a hardware cloner device that DID require me pulling the drive from the muse case and took several hours to make the clone. Since then I just boot up in linux (via a bootable usb thumb drive) and use "Rsync" to only copy new/changed files to or from the internal. It just takes minutes to do these updates in either direction (i.e. Backup or Restore).

Riiiight. I read the post string where you talk about that and wondered for a moment if you were referencing that. Andym63 mentions being unsure of Muse Utility Backup. (Suddenly I'm envisioning a poker hand of hard drive backups.) I have yet to look at Rsync, Ghost, unetbootin, and I think SysRescueCD or something like that. Oih. It seems like such a long journey just to be able to confidently use this thing as I've imagined. I know I'm getting close.
Thanks for the insight.
Fish Out Of Water
Entune Productions

Return to “Muse Research and Development”