The shop doors may be closed but I still am lovin' my Receptor :D

Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Started working on this over the weekend.

This is entirely a Fender Fishman Tripleplay Strat (midi guitar) into an Avid Eleven Rack, with a Receptor VIP patched into the 11R FX loop.

Drum loop courtesy of KONTAKT (on my Mac, not from my receptor.)

http://soundcloud.com/john-thomas-199/shes-so-solo

Awesome! Is this recorded or live?
Fish Out Of Water
Entune Productions

Thanks FOOW!

I posted this over on VGUITAR forum because a couple of people were asking about A) whether or not the Fender Fishman Tripleplay model was any good (Fender has discontinued their FTP model), and B) whether the FTP tracking could be "clean" (i.e. no artifacts).

Figured it was a good example of how well it can do.

I'm afraid I am not loop savvy enough, nor consistent a player enough to do this live. But structurally, I think maybe I could perform it that way. Something for me to aspire to.
I do have Gloop installed, and mobius also, so I am sure my tools could handle it, but I'd have to do a lot of experimenting with them. I am currently trying to learn as much as I can about Receptor as a linux device, to get past some installation issues.
Last edited by plethoraguy on Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

You must mean the Fender model is discontinued. I've had a Tripleplay in my wish list for a while now. I see it's still in the Fishman website. There's a string in here somewhere that discusses how well it works. I can't wait.

Regarding LIVE-ability of your composition, I would agree with the structure making it possible. That's why I had to ask. It sounds great! Looping is a sensitive issue as there are plenty of videos showing people taking 16 bars just to set the first rhythm layer. I've trained in doing a couple things at a time and also learned how to layer things using ASDR and such. It's not possible to MIDI clock sequencing or arp things as you have to set the tempo first. My RC300 does this by instantly metering and subdividing the time between my first button press and the second.

I recently loaded in Möbius to try to get away from the extra hardware but it does not, though installing the plugin properly and GUI responding properly, recognize any MIDI devices. I have not pursued this very far.

I'm script illiterate but have a National Lab mathematician whose native tongue is Linux. I'll be doing some homework while he helps me out. He seemed to think the WINE was very useful after I let him know that NI, Omnisphere, and other major software companies didn't want to play along. This, above all other things, seems to be the card that brought the house down.
I'll be very interested what develops in your Linux studies.
Fish Out Of Water
Entune Productions

When did this happen? Will it impact KVR?

I kind of thought it was inevitable. I was never impressed by my one-time Receptor experience (useless garbage sitting on a table for a never-happening PSU replacement/repair).
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Hey Jace,
Sorry about the power supply issue. I have see strings in this forum over PSU replacement compatibility. I am not a technician, beyond knowing when to NOT tamper with things. There are some brilliant people in here though, and they still monitor happenings as far as I can tell as KVR and this Forum are not going away. It certainly takes patience but theses things are repairable as far as I can tell.

More evidence of usefulness of Receptors is this live looping recording (if I had actual guitar chops it might really sound cool). OK for one take.

https://soundcloud.com/j-stuart-smith/ob-stackles
Last edited by Fishoow on Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fish Out Of Water
Entune Productions

I've had my 1.0 Rev. C since it was first released (late 2006 / early 2007?) and I'm using it more now than ever. It's amazing how well it's stood the test of time. I've installed several newer plugins that work perfectly fine, believe it or not. Battery 3, Sylenth, and Absynth 4 are my go-to instruments because of how stable they are on the Receptor OS. One thing that amazes me is that Zebra2 works very well, except when a patch requires more CPU than the system can handle.

I'm looking forward to snagging some more cheap units as time rolls on because they're so useful as external effects processors. Likewise, my Arturia Beatstep Pro works flawlessly via USB, and my Behringer BCR2000 plays along jusy nicely, especially since it's easy to program NRPN messages.

I've seen a lot of people dump on the Receptor over the years, and I don't blame them for various reasons. For me, an amateur with a hobby, it was quite the upfront investment. But the damn thing is still kicking and showing no signs of letting up. The only serious problem that arose was the PSU with a low lifespan and a few glitches, but I managed to find a good replacement.

I imagine this forum will be seeing more activities in the coming months and years as used units get picked up by lower-income hobbyists like me. It can only mean more interesting tweaks and upgrades, if that's the case.

Peace

partythug wrote:The only serious problem that arose was the PSU with a low lifespan and a few glitches, but I managed to find a good replacement.
Where did you get your PSU replacement? I cannot find one with the appropriate connections for my Receptor 1 (rev B?).
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

So that's [crickets] in response to my inquiry about PSU replacements, then...
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Wow, Jace-,

That’s frustrating. Sorry. I’ll try to search this forum tomorrow morning. I know I’ve seen conversations about them before.
Fish Out Of Water
Entune Productions

Here is a link to the power supply that is in the Quattro.

http://www.provantage.com/sparkle-power ... PKL00Y.htm

I found it by searching the upc code on the power supply itself.

Does that have the power switch connections for the original Receptor? I have the original Receptor, revision B (I think) and none of the PSUs out there have the appropriate connections. Last time I talked with Muse support about this, they showed me the unit they thought they used for such repairs. When I pointed out the connections weren't right, I was told "oh, you're right. It would have to be modified". The cost to ship it to them to modify and install the PSU was well beyond the measly $100 this Receptor is worth (based on the single offer I got when I offered it for sale here on KVR). I spent considerably more to buy the damn thing. If it's just cheap PC garbage that has no value today, why was it so expensive when new?

Total waste of money. It was never a good product. The compatibility was poor and 3rd-party support was skim. iLok had to be on a PC or Mac to work with licenses. The remote tools sucked (eventually was expected to rely on a 3rd-party product). The Receptor GUI sucked and I wasn't given the option to upgrade the OS to the new GUI, which they said they'd offer (we'd ship our drives in and they'd ship a replacement). When asked about this offer vanishing with no comment, there was never a reply. No info was ever provided for managing a Receptor system as an administrator. Etc.

I'm utterly unsurprised this whole thing is defunct. Yes I'm bitter. It was a lot of money. Every other standalone product I bought still has better value than my Receptor. My Receptor is just a junk PC that can't even be used because of one non-standard part that dies easily and isn't worth repairing. I'll never again buy a piece of audio equipment that's really just cheap generic PC/Linux parts.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Hey Jace, though my muse experience is wholly different, I truly feel your pain. Much of what you state above is inarguably true.

Without knowing what your model actually looks like, my guess is that the modification is simply what connectors are required at the ends of wire groups? I can't imagine the power supply itself needs to be modded (i.e. voltages, current, etc). If you lived nearby, I'd happily at least take a gander for you. Do you have any computer nerd friends (said lovingly, btw-- I am unashamedly one, though a lightweight) who would strip and attach the right connectors for you over a 6 pack of beer? You'd still be working with an older model and OS, but at least you'd be WORKING with it. Seeing that expensive thing gathering dust on a shelf must be galling...

plethoraguy wrote:Hey Jace, though my muse experience is wholly different, I truly feel your pain. Much of what you state above is inarguably true.

Without knowing what your model actually looks like, my guess is that the modification is simply what connectors are required at the ends of wire groups? I can't imagine the power supply itself needs to be modded (i.e. voltages, current, etc). If you lived nearby, I'd happily at least take a gander for you. Do you have any computer nerd friends (said lovingly, btw-- I am unashamedly one, though a lightweight) who would strip and attach the right connectors for you over a 6 pack of beer? You'd still be working with an older model and OS, but at least you'd be WORKING with it. Seeing that expensive thing gathering dust on a shelf must be galling...
It's apparently the lack of an appropriate line (or two?) for the front panel. One of which is for the power switch.

Most PC hardware has a switch that gets connected to the motherboard for the user to control power through the board. The PSU supplies the motherboard with power and the motherboard does the switching.

The original Receptor, however, needs a line from the power supply directly to the front panel, which I assume has the main switching logic/circuit, which is why it's nonstandard. It seems the leads to the motherboard are switched by the PSU with this connection.

I don't think it's a simple modification and I don't know anyone who could do this kind of work for me. I never even got any clarity from Muse on what exactly the required modification is that they would've done had I shipped it to them to pay for the service.

It boggles my mind why they chose to go with generic PC hardware and then made the power switching and PSU lines nonstandard. It defeats the purpose of using "cheap and easily available" computer industry parts.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Here I am trying to clean up garbage in my studio and I come again to my stupid useless Receptor.

According to this thread http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 0#p6508474 , i could buy an off-the-shelf PSU, modify one connector, drill the case to secure it, and I'd be fine.
Bryan@MuseResearch wrote:You can purchase an off-the-shelf Sparkle Power SPI220LE and modify the connectors on them to work with Receptor. Basically, you need to clip off the old four conductor connector that goes to the front panel and connect that to the power supply. Basically, the power connectors are as follows:

ATX power to Mobo (20 pins, multiple conductors)
12V ATX power to Mobo (yellow and black)
IDE power to drive (or) Sata power to drive
5VDC to FRONT PANEL using the 4 pin connector from the old power supply (connect to one of the drive power lines since the PS has many of them)
Power switch connector from front panel to motherboard (Black and white, two pins, standard ATX power switch connection to the FPNL connector on the mobo)

Anything you do is at your own risk. If you aren't sure, get a computer tech to help you.
It's the front panel connector that's lacking in the off-the-shelf PSUs. Says it can be connected to one of the drive power lines, but which wires?

Bryan also says the yellow and black 12V ATX power goes to the motherboard, but there's no such socket on the Rev B(?) Receptor i have.

Has anyone made this kind of modification?
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Return to “Muse Research and Development”