New development perspectives.

Official support for: zynaddsubfx.sourceforge.net
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Wouldn't it be a better idea to extract the core audio processing functionality (=meat) from the Zyn code and reuse it in a brand new plugin container? This should lead to a way cleaner implementation and far less bugs than tweaking existing code.

Btw, have you considered using JUCE for this project?
the the impotence of proofreading

Paulie Phonick wrote:Wouldn't it be a better idea to extract the core audio processing functionality (=meat) from the Zyn code and reuse it in a brand new plugin container? This should lead to a way cleaner implementation and far less bugs than tweaking existing code.

That sounds like a lot more work than it sounds, to be honest. Wouldn't he need to practically reconstruct what puts the synth together, in addition a major rewrite of important components? The reference code's already there, it just needs to be refurbished where practical for the development process.

I'm no programmer, but I can see the potential challenges if one were to do that. Patch format's already established, though it may change anyway, there's still less work cause it's already been done, for one audience anyway.

Well, I'm happy that this Synth has new life! I've played around with it, and I see a LOT of room for expansion! This is one powerful Synth guys, and I love it! Keep up the good work!

grymmjack wrote:
:) ok i'll work on some mockups and junk. design by committee eh? hooboy. :P

this should get interesting.
Hooboy indeed :)

Subz

Paulie Phonick wrote:Wouldn't it be a better idea to extract the core audio processing functionality (=meat) from the Zyn code and reuse it in a brand new plugin container? This should lead to a way cleaner implementation and far less bugs than tweaking existing code.

Extracting: No. Not better but surely possible. *smile*

JUCE: I know it very well. And it is an option, of course. It is platform independent and cute.
But that would rather be a complete rewrite. Zyn is based on FLTK and that wasn't a bad idea (regarding compatibility and low footprint, efficency and speed). JUCE has also fewer widget support (the typical GUI widgets needed for an audio processing plugin). It is more an 'application' frameork. If there were a working binding to VSTGUI... maybe then.

In short: it is a matter of ... errrrm : time. Available time. *smile*

My project on sourceforge is not only about Zyn.
It aims to be a 'sonic ports' project.

My intent is at first to port some very interesting Linux audio applications to other platforms and make the further development interesting. Well, applicatens which I find very interesting.

For instance (priority):

- ZynAddSubFx
- SpiralModular
- VSTHost
- Bristol & Brighton !!!
- Jazz++ MIDI Sequencer
... many others

Projects, which seem to be either reduced to only one platform or which seem to be dead in development for some time now. And projects, which have a certain potential in my eyes.

I do not want to spent so much time with only one project. You know? Because such can lead to a fulltime job (without being payd). Porting is difficult enought.

I want to provide an active development platform and community for interesting xplatform audio applications. An unified development tree, code management and communication project.
Developers may join the team. I cannot do it all alone.

MaliceX wrote: That sounds like a lot more work than it sounds, to be honest. Wouldn't he need to practically reconstruct what puts the synth together, in addition a major rewrite of important components? The reference code's already there, it just needs to be refurbished where practical for the development process.

I'm no programmer, but I can see the potential challenges if one were to do that. Patch format's already established, though it may change anyway, there's still less work cause it's already been done, for one audience anyway.
Exactly.

---

Has anyone managed to integrate VSTGUI into JUCE?
One can say what one want, but the VSTGUI still remains one of the most useful widget toolkits for audio plugins. It is small, efficient and powerfull - and object oriented. There aren't that many powerful graphical instrumentation toolkits availabe, or? Most are application toolkits which have only few support for instrumentation widgets but loads of things never really needed...

SynthMaker uses a cool toolkit. But such isn't available nor is ist open sourced. I've seen many ppl talking about 'just makin their own - coming soon'. But if you look for one, you'll not find anything useful. Since years. Writing your own needs obviously too much time *smile*

---

I've got a version of Zynadd (mainly the additive synthesizer) packaged in a JUCE GUI already. The project is called Capsaicin and will be a new instrument... the code is a bit under testing but it works well as it is. At the moment i can only do a linux build, but since it is juce based, can live on its own, and can be compiled as standalone application (linux, mac, win), vst plugin (linux, mac, win), AU (mac), RTAS (win, mac) and if you plan to release a new plugin technology (Dx or Fruity or whatever)... well it's only a matter of writing a wrapper for it.

i will release it in the next days if i find some time for doing it. That project has being laying around on my hd for such a long time !!! And i need people that likes to help the jucetice project !

nice work on that capascin project man. very hip to see juce in action taking on a big complex project.

just what are the limitations of the FLTK? i need to know what image formats are acceptable, and how controls are to be created, etc, ahead of time as much as possible to prevent redundant efforts later.

Dang, looking at Capsicin. :D Looks much more readable, and even has tabs!

I suppose there are more people out there that have done some sort of secret personal compiled versions of ZynAddSubFX over the years.

+1 :tu:

it's about time that there are new efforts for taking the best synth
to another plateau 8)

MaliceX wrote:Dang, looking at Capsicin. :D Looks much more readable, and even has tabs!
yeah, and it support parameter automation on both sides (sliders move when automated by the host and they write automation when they are moved by the user), things that you can't find in the vst version of zynaddsubfx since it is not a real vst synth (it doesn't handle voice parameters or programs).

grymmjack wrote:nice work on that capascin project man. very hip to see juce in action taking on a big complex project.
thanx. also i really appreciate your GUI works, they are far the best interfaces i've ever see. any chance you may help on refining these projects and the ones that are coming along (capsaicin, drumsynth, ecc)?

hi kraken; thanks. going to PM to keep zyn thread pure.

kraken, dude! Looks like you've already nailed it with Capsaicin :) Looking forward to a Win-VST build.
the the impotence of proofreading

Return to “ZynAddSubFX”